Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrtimewise_gw

We're very pleased with our Bosch SHE68E15UC installed Oct. 2009

mrtimewise
14 years ago

Just wanted to post that we really like our Bosch SHE68E15UC dishwasher. We bought this version of the Evolution 800 Plus series with the detailed LED status display because we wanted to see the wash time remaining. As it turns out, this model not only tells you on the high resolution LED display how much time is remaining, it also displays the mode the dishwasher is running in as well as the steps it is taking at the start of the cleaning cycle to optimize the cleaning.

The water softener works great, too. We have about 35 grains of hardness (600 milligrams/gallon). We used one box of Somat water softener salt (about 1 lb.) in a period of one month. I'm going to start using Morton System Saver II salt from now on, rather than the Somat brand. I've investigated the Morton System Saver II salt and called the company on the telephone. I am convinced that the Morton System Saver II salt is clean enough for the application and is of a particle size that will work fine. I'll save about $9 each month this way.

The dishwasher is essentially dead quiet in my installation. We ran the dishwasher during a dinner party and no one even knew it was operating while we we standing in front of it.

Glassware and china comes out sparking clean.

Comments (12)

• mrtimewise
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Somat salt we used in a one month period was 2.6 lbs, not 1 lbs.

• antss
    14 years ago

Live in FL?

• mrtimewise
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Chicago area.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Mrtimewise, if I got a price like you got, I would have went with your dishwasher since I loved it when I saw it in the store and I wash a lot of plastic so I really wanted a concealed element. But I only had high quotes so I went with the KitchenAid KUDE70 model which I love but I wish the silverware basket would be like the Bosch one since when I remove it, the big space is only good for pans and I would prefer more room for dishes. I wish it did not melt plastic lids that drop to the bottom. I also liked how the Bosch matched better. But I do love my culinary top tray rack and how well the KitchenAid washes my dishes and how quiet it is.

Thank you for the great review. Enjoy your beautiful dishwasher.

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

I miss the time remaining and cycle indicator of my old Maytag, but that's the ONLY thing I miss. Glad you're happy with your new dw :)
    Monica

• mrtimewise
    Original Author
    14 years ago

FYI...here's the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on the Morton System Saver II salt pellets. The pellets are all very even in size and they slide perfectly into the salt holder through the funnel provided with the dishwasher.

The salt in the Somat box is supposed to be 100% pure sodium chloride...at least according to the box label. Morton System Saver II salt pellets have some impurities. Apparently, the two listed impurities are used to clean the water softener resin of accumulated impurities from the salt itself as well as from the water (e.g., iron oxide, magnesium salts, etc.) Personally, I think this is a better system that just using 100% pure sodium chloride.

• markbr
    14 years ago

Thanks for sharing your comments on this Dishwasher, I was betweem this one and a Miele, I think i'm leaning towards the Bosch based on the features in this bad boy and the 40Db running sound.

I was set on a hidden control unit, but I believe the front control unit is even cheaper, I read somewhere that the display looks kind of cheap, meaning the plastic around the front controls looks cheap.

Do you find this to be the case?

• mrtimewise
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There really isn't any plastic on the front of the SHE68E15UC, nor are there any buttons at all. The control panel is hidden...just the display is visible.

The SHE68E05UC has buttons on the front which are on either side of the display. I haven't seen that model in person.

• markbr
    14 years ago

I'm surprised that the SHE68E15UC and SHE68E05UC would have a different panel configuration, considering they are both 800 Plus series, I think the only real difference between these two models is that the SHE68E15UC is 40Db where as the SHE68E05UC is 42Db.

• veggietummy
    14 years ago

does having the water softener mean that you don't need to add rinse agent like you're supposed to on most other dishwasher models? I'm concerned that the chemicals used in rinse agent may not be good for my health.

also, seems like you could save some money on salt according to Wikipedia

"it is possible to use salt granules or tablets sold for whole house softening units and save a significant amount of money in the process. Softener salt in 25 kg bags will work out about one third of the cost and is easily available."

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia--dishwasher

• speedlever
    14 years ago

No. Water softener is used to modify your water when your water is too hard for proper cleaning. Rinse agent is to help dry the dishes (needed for European style drying - convection drying).

• markbr
    14 years ago

I ended up buying this exact model and I am so happy with it. My dishes have never been so clean, I'm absolutely loving the third cuttelery rack and there is a real level of satisfaction having the top of the line model offered, and the quietest and most energy efficient dishwasher on the market for much less than the top of the line Miele.

One example of what blew me away, during the holidays I made a ham with a orange/maple glaze (Cook's Illustrated) and the saucepan I used to make the glaze had that burnt hard coated sugary stuff on it, you know the kind of thing that you soak for days or scrub with a steelwool.

Anyhow I had zero expectations for this to get clean in the dishwasher, in fact the only reason I put it in the dishwasher was so that I wouldn't have to deal with it right away, I was essentially hiding it.

Anyhow, my first load of using this dishwasher finishes and myself and everyone of our guests was blown away when this thing came out spotless, I knew I made the right decision then and there.