Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
compumom_gw

OVEN Advice please!

compumom
9 years ago

Last Thursday my 12 y.o. Thermador built-in double convection oven committed suicide while the broiler in the top oven was preheating. There was a loud noise, an orange flash and the display stopped working. There's an tan-orange dust in the top oven. From the beginning the broil element had occasional F33 faults and shut off, but Thermador repair had answers like- it was the aluminum foil too close to a sensor or such like. This time was something much bigger.
Being 12 years old, we are not going to repair, but planning to replace with another oven. My cabinet is designed to hold a 27" double oven which limits my choices. The entire kitchen was remodeled back in 2002-03 which means I'm not going to make any major structural changes.
I'm interested in hearing from others with double electric convection ovens. What is your recent experience? Is the fan noise loud? Do the racks slide easily? Temperature constant? Querks, etc?
We are empty nesters and I'm not a baker. I use my cooktop, Breville and bbq quite a bit, so the ovens don't see heavy use. That said, I do want something that is efficient, even heating and nice to use. I don't think that I can carve out space for a 30", however I will call a carpenter/kitchen person in to inspect the cabinetry to see if we can squeeze it in. It would fantastic to have the option of a Bosch side opening oven door or the French door Viking!
Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (8)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Sounds like the broil element failed and took out the board with it. If it was only the broil element I would have suggested replacing, but knowing Thermador the board probably isn't even available anymore, and if it is it's ridiculously expensive.

Favorites on this forum are Bosch and Electrolux for mid range, Miele and Gaggenau for high end. Since you aren't a baker, I'd stick with looking at the former 2. Skip Viking.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I've got the same oven in a 30". I was able to get a replacement circuit board a few years ago. It cost about $400.

I can't take credit for the following advice, I read it somewhere on this chat room. Google appliance circuit board repair. There are shops that will take your old board and repair it. I found a few with a web search. It's always worth trying before you replace the oven.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

If I had the narrow oven size (don't forget to check the depth as that can be an issue -- or not) and had a Breville, I'd be looking at a single oven plus speed or steam or a combi. A partition might be needed but it might provide more options and fun.

• compumom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! Rococogurl, I had the same thought, but after looking at them, I decided it wasn't worth it.

I'm as confused as ever. I would love a different configuration, but that's not practical. I do use two ovens when we have larger parties and it makes sense to replace my double ovens with double ovens. The cabinetry is built for that and we aren't planning a remodel anytime soon.

I have a cabinet guy coming on Sunday to take a look and see if we can squeeze out space for a 30". Then I'd get the Viking french door or the Bosch Side opening door. However in the 27" I'm completely befuddled. ALL have some bad reviews. The KA makes sense because it has the best reviews and a good price. BUT many of the reviews complain about the fan noise and length of time it stays on after cooking. That could be a deal breaker! Our eating area is in the kitchen, fan noise could be very annoying.
    I wish that I could get a clear read on JennAir. Not much has been said about recent purchases. Maybe that's a good thing, nothing to complain about.
    Despite it all, I still prefer the Thermador, but I'm nervous. There are plenty of negative service reviews. I'm hoping that I can fit in the 30" and all will be solved. Analysis paralysis? Guilty!

Here is a link that might be useful: Same discussion on the cooking forum

• compumom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

New oven purchase on hold! Yesterday when the cabinet/contractor was here to evaluate my space, he checked out the oven and found that the broiler element had self destructed. He threw the breaker switch and Voila, the board revived! We checked the lights in both ovens and they worked. He also said that I can easily install a 30" oven, the cabinet is large enough, but that's on hold.
    Today I called Thermador and set up a service call. The broiler part is $58 and the service call (18 minutes!) is $99. Each 6 minute increment thereafter is $12. I'll gratefully accept that and let them give my oven a thorough review. The next service appt was Dec 10th, but I can live without an oven. Thanksgiving dinner is elsewhere!

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Why not just replace it yourself? Broil elements are one of the easiest appliance repairs possible. It's literally just a couple screws, then plug and play. Ovens aren't complicated appliances, if all works besides the failed element there isn't any need for a "thorough review." Save yourself the money. That way you could have it working well before Thanksgiving dinner, too.

If you post the model number here I might be able to find you a service manual from my archives, though this repair is so simple you won't need it.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Mon, Nov 10, 14 at 18:06

• compumom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I truly appreciate your offer to help. However they are also coming to look at my Bosch washer door which has always had issues with closing. We have to give it a "boost" to close tightly. DH really wanted to do it himself, but I don't mind having them come and check both appliances.
    Cook Thanksgiving dinner? Heaven forbid! LOL Our group decided to go out this year. We do a community meal and all of us have some physical problem that will make cooking challenging. We're all in agreement that one member's club can do our cooking this year!

• compumom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UPDATE
    I am delighted to report that the BSCH repairman arrived today as scheduled. He was able (with some difficulty) to replace the broiler element that had completely self destructed and the oven is functioning once again!

FYI I was correct, it was not a do-it-yourself job for DH. The broiler wiring had frayed and the repairman had to remove the oven from the wall, rewire down the conduit from the cabinet above and replace the oven. Thankfully he didn't charge me for all the time that it took to complete this job, but the bill was shockingly LOW.
    Thank you for giving me the courage to call Thermador/Bosch and ask about repairing the element. YAY!