Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RO Supplied Ice Maker?

Posted by FarmerMcLarry (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 1:12

Is there any problem associated with supplying an ice maker with water from an RO unit? I don't know if they typically require higher pressure than what the RO is capable of providing. This is going to a Liebherr fridge - not sure if that makes a difference. Any ideas? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RO Supplied Ice Maker?

We have our ice maker hooked up to the RO. It doesn't work too well. I'm guessing the low and inconsistent feed pressure doesn't lend itself well to ice makers. I just installed a booster pump to keep the tank pressure between 45 and 65 psig. The jury is still out on whether or nut that will be helpful.

o

My RO system feeds my SZ, along with four other taps, but I use an after membrane peristaltic pump from SpectraPure to restore the RO pressure to ca. 60 psi while improving membrane efficiency. Use of a pressure tank allows the pressure to stay up with during RO use. The SZ produces ice without difficulty.

Some RO systems will produce acidic water, depending on the feedstock, and devices connected to such water sources should be stainless steel or plastic to minimize possible corrosion.

kas

o

Thanks kas, my RO is a SpectraPure, I'll look into the pumps you mentioned. Do you happen to know which model you have?

Laranbrian I'll be curious to hear how yours works out.

Thanks again.

This post was edited by FarmerMcLarry on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 10:08

o

As far as I know, there is only one pump, but more than one way to configure it.

One scheme is documented here: http://spectrapure.com/manuals/PPRFK-MANUAL.pdf I call this the non-electric configuration.

I use an electric configuration, with solenoid valve and high/low pressure sensors and control box, documented here: http://spectrapure.com/huds/PP-SVC-DWS.pdf

I don't see the parts for this latter configuration listed on any ot the easy-to-get-to web pages, but I know that they still have the parts.

kas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here