Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canuck99_gw

Miele Induction Noise?

canuck99
16 years ago

I have read most of the posts on the subject of noise. I'm looking for commnets on the 36 in Miele induction top.

Is there just buzzing on high power or is there clicking at low power?

Does the noise or buzzing matter if you have expensive pans or not?

Any other comments on the Noise subject would be appreciated. I have played with the Miele at a demo but it was short and pots did not seem all that high quality.

Does any one know of any other tops that are quite DIVA was mentioned as silent. I tried one and it clicked, not sure it wasn't a few years old.

Comments (18)

• sienna2007
    16 years ago

I have tried Diva in a showroom and found it to be to be quieter than the Miele. Also tried the Windcrest at the distributor in Toronto (Integrated Appliances) and there was a faint sound that sounded more like a fan going than a clicking noise. They all seem to have some sort of noise. My first choice right now is Windcrest and Diva second. I think I'm leaning towards the Windcrest because of the flush design (no stainless steel around it) and I like the slightly speckled top as it didn't seem to show finger marks as much.

• moose_2007
    16 years ago

Could anyone chime in as to the Profiles/Monograms being noisy?

• Fori
    16 years ago

I have an older induction, and it clicks with some pans but not others. I thought it was click-free until I bought some stainless pans for it. There is definitely a connection between cookware and clicking. I don't know if that's characteristic of all cooktops or just mine, but if you test one out, bring your own pans of different types.

Mine seems to click less with iron--bare cast iron as well as enameled--and more with induction capable stainless.

• canuck99
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sienna2007

Is the noise just loud or is there a clicking sound. Were both at similar power levels? Did the power levels impact the noise?

• sienna2007
    16 years ago

Yes, the higher level was a little more noisy. It's more of a clicking sound, but it apparently depends on the type of pan. I suspect that once the hood fan is on, you don't notice it, it just blends in. I am still about 5 months from installing all my new stuff, so I am not talking from experience except for a couple of showroom tries. Perhaps Beatrix in Canada can chime in?

• beatrix_in_canada
    16 years ago

sienna,

you made exactly the point I was going to bring up. Yes, there is a humming sound when the booster is on. But it is a sound not a noise and as soon as the vent is on, even on the lowest level of our very quiet Suter hood you cannot hear a thing. And there might be some clicking with some pots but honestly I can't really notice: the sound of boiling water is louder than any sound coming from the cooktop itself. Haven't heard anybody here asking how you deal with that one ...

• canuck99
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beatrix,

Which unit do you have? Which ones did you try? Why did you pick the one you have?

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    16 years ago

I recently asked one of the reps that visit our store this very question. I received the comments below for the tech department from that particular company.

In all induction cookers the majority of the "audible noise" during heating is directly related to the construction of the cookware and the power level applied.

Some factors that influence whether or not a piece of cookware is noisy or not ...

1) Encapsulated slugs in the base of the cookware. Most induction cookware manufactures encapsulate a ferromagnetic slug in the base of cookware. The benefits are they "will" work with induction, the heat is more evenly distributed within the cookware since these metals are higher density and distribute the heat evenly, and the cookware cost less to manufacture. In most cases the slug is "just encapsulated" and is not fixed (welded) inside the bottom of the pan. Because the slug can move within the encapsulation, the high frequency magnetic field will setup a mechanical vibration (audible noise).

2) Loose fitting handles on cookware is another cause of audible noise.

3) Pans with a non-uniform bottom that can vibrate on the glass surface causing audible noise, especially under higher power settings.

The cookware with the lowest noise levels are constructed of solid cast iron and are enamel coated. There are several brands that represent this construction - Silit and Le Creuset although they more expensive. Peggy can probably recommend others.

There are some low level noises such as a "tick" or "humming" can sometimes be detected. These noises are associated with power level control (rapid ON & OFF) and are present in ALL induction cooking electronics.

• blt_in_nm
    16 years ago

Re: the GE Profile induction noise. I tried different types of pots and pans and none were excessively loud or clicky. I think the quietest was a solid cast iron skillet. There is a humming/buzzing on Power Boost, but I didn't really think it was all that loud, and once the water starts boiling I'd say it's louder than the cooktop.

The only time I noticed clicking was on low simmer -- I think this is the induction unit cycling on and off and you can hear a little tick each time, again not what I would call loud or even noticeable unless your kitchen was very quiet. Most of my cooking has been with a set of Farberware Millineum which seems to perform very well and is relatively quiet (maybe slightly noisier than the cast iron skillet).

• canuck99
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Would All Clad or the Demeyere lines be constructed well enough to avoid the buzz?

• beatrix_in_canada
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention one other point that didn't figure in that much in my original decision. But it's one that I would consider today with more other options available. The Miele cooktop is very shallow and has very little clearance below. I have a regular + two deep drawers below the cooktop.

• canuck99
    Original Author
    16 years ago

B-in-Canada

What type of cookware do you have/used on the Miele?

• beatrix_in_canada
    16 years ago

Except for a couple of cast iron pieces all my cookware is stainless steel (ss). Miele had a promotion in cooperation with Henckel. So when I ordered the cooktop I got a 9-piece-set of ss Twin Select Henckel pots. My old ss pressure cookers (Fagor and SEB) still work. Of course my old cast iron roasting pan has been used as well. Replaced my old cast aluminum frying pan with a Schulte-Ufer non-stick fry pan from Germany (as induction is much more common there you find lots more choices in medium priced good quality pots and pans). I use that one every day! They are apparently available in Northamerica as well but I have never seen them around here. And got a new ss Faberware asparagus cooker at Linen 'n Things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schulte-Ufer

• canuck99
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks

How are the Henckel set?

• beatrix_in_canada
    16 years ago

This is the set of Henckel pots

Here is a link that might be useful: Henckel Pots

• yolande_1951
    16 years ago

Hi Beatrix,

Where did you buy your induction cooktop? I live in London Ont and am seriously considering induction for my remodel. Have you seen the thermadore in action. I saw the AEG in London, and found it a bit noisey. I don't know if that is standard or not. Thanks.

• inter_alia
    14 years ago

> I have the 36" Miele induction cooktop. Reasons why:

In my review the Miele 36 had the best specs. Big elements, high power. The element were nicely spread apart to allow using big pots on them. Many units seem to push the elements towards the middle. Also has nice features, great controls.