Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txbluebonnet11

Please Help Me with Subzero Refrigerator Options

TXBluebonnet11
10 years ago

I am buying my appliances from a local place I have found that deals strictly with high end floor model appliances. The prices are great but this means that I am more limited in which models are available. I want the largest subzero refrigerator that will accept panels and be integrated with my cabinets. Right now, the only unit available is the BI-42S. I prefer a 48 inch or perhaps an even larger configuration in the integrated models, but I really want a subzero and it's not in our budget to buy at retail.

It looks like the BI-42S is 26 3/16" deep while the integrated models with individual columns are 24" deep. I have some flexibility with my cabinets since I am still in the final design phase and have a good amount of space to work with. (Overall wall is 8 feet wide by 9 feet tall on that side of the kitchen and theoretically I could use as much space as I need because there are plenty of cabinets elsewhere). My design goal is to make the refrigerator look like an armoire. Would the 26 3/16" depth be too deep to get a truly integrated look? Is there another compelling design reason to go with the integrated line? I want the refrigerator to truly look like a piece of furniture.

What are the pros and cons to the various options available? I'm also wondering if ANY subzero refrigerator will accept custom panels? If the unit comes with the stainless panels can I remove them and make wooden ones?

Also can anyone tell me if the 427G wine refrigerator will accept custom panels or do I have to find a particular model of that unit that will accept panels?

Traditional Kitchen by Louisville Kitchen & Bath Designers Kenneth Fromme

Traditional Kitchen by Manhasset Kitchen & Bath Designers Showcase Kitchens

Traditional Kitchen by Santa Monica Kitchen & Bath Designers Kitchens On Montana

Traditional Kitchen by Greensboro Kitchen & Bath Designers Cabinet Concepts, Greensboro

Comments (7)

• xedos
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A few musings:

You need to up your budget if you want yours to look like those three pictures. None of those are "budget" kitchens.

If you want a successful armoire install - you really don't have a choice but to use an integrated model. All the ones in the pictures are SZ 700 series models, which are being replaced first of the year.

No, all SZ models will not accept custom panels. On some stainless models the panels are removable and can be replaced with cabinet panels. Others are not removable, period.

You'd better get some professional help from someone who has designed and installed one these types of armoires BEFORE you buy a fridge and place your cabinet order. These are not for novices or neophytes.

Don't think a SZ 42" will work in an armoire, and even if it did it look pretty silly proportion wise. Ditto with their 48".

You could use two separate 24" columns, but you're not likely to see many off those on display and I seriously doubt you'll find any of them at a discount as they are barely off the factory production line now. $13000 plus cabinetry work.

The 427g does not come with any panels. You can order a stainless door as an accessory from SZ, but it has to be installed , and is hence removable. G just stands for glass door, as opposed to a solid one.

Buy your designer and cabinet installer first, then your fridges if you are going down this road.

• kaseki
    10 years ago

Also, unlike many manufacturers, SZ answers the phone and has friendly contact personnel who answer questions.

kas

• xedos
    10 years ago

^^^

and that person is in the USA !

• fourten1j
    10 years ago

I don't believe any of the integrated models "come with" stainless steel panels, at least that was the case when I purchased mine this year... which are add-ons. If you're doing custom panels, obviously you wouldn't order the stainless steel panels. The units come with templating for the custom panels.

• paarlberg
    10 years ago

Do like I did, I checked with a few local retailers and found brand new display models of the 601F and 601R. I picked them up for about $4k for the pair. They came with a full warranty from SZ as well. They were only powered up for about 1 hour total before I received them All docs were included and the shipping tape was still on the drawers.

It takes a little digging to find them, but if you call all the local SZ dealers and ask if they have a model in their display that will be replaced soon. They may be willing to sell it from the display. I had to wait a couple months for the dealer to get a replacement and to have his cabinets adjusted for the new models. Well worth it.

If there is a model change coming up, you can also ask the nicest dealer to check with the supplier to see if any OTC items are available at a good price.

If you are interested in a model 650, my local dealer has one available for $3250 I believe. I am in Atlanta, so shipping it far could hurt the deal factor.

I also picked up a nice Viking range the same way. It was overstock at the supplier after a model change.

Remember, dealers don't want old models in their showroom for very long. This dealer was a kitchen and bath design firm mainly, but sold appliances as well.

I added a picture of the new cabinet I am putting them in. We just put it in place yesterday. It will be stained to look like an old ice box. Although the model I have is a framed version, I have found that you can remove the handle side trim and use the overlay end piece instead. This will allow me to make the door panels look more ice box like.

This post was edited by paarlberg on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 9:07

• UhOhhh
    10 years ago

paarlberg, are you saying you paid a total of $4000 for the SZ F&R, or $4000 each = $8000 total?

• paarlberg
    10 years ago

I paid $4k for the pair, $2k each. Look on SZ website for kitchen designers that have showrooms near you. Then start calling them and asking if they have any display units they want to sell. If not, thank them and move to the next. The designers typically will not change units as often as a dealer will. But dealers might know of a designer that has some available as they do reach out for help in selling them.