Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with refrigerator

Posted by walterjar (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 23:15

I have a silly question. Yesterday my side by side refrigerator went bad. Both compartments are warm. I have checked that both fans are working. I have checked the compressor for continuity between connectors, there were no problem. I have checked compressor for ground, it was ok too.
So now is my problem, after I have plugged refrigerator to outlet. I can hear two fans and the compressor is making spinning noise for about a minute. Then it is very quiet and make very small vibration. It never get hot or even warmer than room temperature. The two lines that comes and goes from compressor don't change the temperature even after few hours when both fans were working all the time. My guts feeling was that start overload unit was basted (there is no rattle sound when shaking the starter) but I am not sure anymore. Any ideas why compressor don't warm up over the time. Is it normal it this refrigerator model? What is the simple test if compressor is running? Any ideas what I could check before buying new starter/overload unit?
Thanks for your help.
Walter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with refrigerator

There are electronic starter 'relays' that don't rattle when shaken.

o

Should I try to replace starter/overload unit alone or together with the capacitor?

o

Capacitors can be tested with a multimeter, no need to guess its condition.

The compressor windings can be tested for good or bad (across the terminals) or shorted (each terminal to the compressor case).

A non-electronic starter will have (or should have) an obvious wire coil. Those can also be tested with a multimeter. Electronic starters can be tested but only with the proper testing-tool.

Do an online search for testing refrigerator compressor, capacitor, and starting relay. There are text/picture instructions at various sites, and also videos on YouTube.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here