Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve777_gw

KitchenAid Stand Mixer GearBox Repair

steve777
15 years ago

I have an older KitchenAid stand mixer, model KM25G0X. It is a 5qt model where the bowl cranks up. The unit has worked well, and I push it fairly hard grinding wheat and mixing some very stiff bread doughs.

A few months ago the unit started making a grinding noise and then stopped turning (although the motor still worked). I took the unit apart and discovered some destroyed bearing and a worn out gear. Cleaned up the gear box, put the new parts in with some new grease, and it was working fine, for a few months.

Lately the mixer still works, but there is now a ticking or clicking sound that happens whenever there is a load on the mixer (from the bowl or the accessories). The clicking happens about 12 times per beater disk revolution, and the clicking frequency varies with the mixer speed.

Seems like another gear box issue, a failing gear or the like. But before I take it apart yet again, thought I would ask on this forum to see if anyone here has any experience rebuilding these gearboxes. Any thoughts or words of wisdom?

TIA

Comments (2)