Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lincann

Would you buy a microwave online?

lincann
11 years ago

I'm so frustrated ! For weeks I have researched various countertop microwaves online, checking the reviews, reading the pros and cons and finally narrowed my search down to 2.

Both the Sharp R 530 EK (2.0 cf, 1200 watts, $180) and the Panasonic NNH 765 BF (1.6 cf, 1,250, $170) had really great reviews.

The problem ~ there is not one store in or around the Louisville area (Home Depot, Lowes, KMart, Walmart, various appliance stores) that carries either of these models ! Even if on a HD or Lowes website, if it's not also in the store, I'm on my own. Reviews of the in-store models prove to be less than desirable.

Both of these models are available online (Amazon, I think) and I wondered how you all felt about ordering an appliance online. Certainly don't like the thought of my purchase being damaged during shipping, but I'm running out of options.

Does any one have feedback about either of these models or the 'online appliance ordering' experience. Thanks.

Comments (13)

• weissman
    11 years ago

Amazon is really reliable and great about returns - I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

• colin3
    11 years ago

I have nothing on the models, but I would have no hesitation about ordering a microwave online - I got my current one that way. As Weissman says Amazon is pretty good about returns.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I bought my MW drawer, warming drawer, and built-in fridge online. I saved a bundle. The WD box looked banged round and was ripped open a bit. I refused service and called the eBay seller. He sent a new one out the next day.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

We ended up buying a Panasonic MW from Amazon because not a single local store carried the model we wanted. So far it has been fine.

• lincann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very encouraging information ~ thanks to all.

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

Bought mine online and had no problems

• Seasyde
    11 years ago

Bought a Panasonic from Amazon a few weeks ago. I knew they have a good return policy if there is a problem but everything arrived just fine.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

Last month I ordered a GE Spacemaker microwave online. I did go to my local appliance stores and the big boxes but as the salesman explained to me - they don't make much money on a microwave so most stores don't stock too many. I also ordered through Amazon.

• clinresga
    11 years ago

Huge Amazon fan (esp with Prime free shipping) but actually bought our Panasonic MW from Newegg, another fabulous online retailer. They are mainly focused on technology stuff, but carry an interesting assortment of appliances. They also have great customer svc. Like another poster, the first we ordered had a dent (this is a hazard of online purchasing) but they immediately shipped a replacement and sent out a prepaid shipping return label so we just shoved it back into the box and had UPS pick it up. No hassles. And, at least for a little while longer, no sales tax, which for me is an automatic 8% discount. Heck, I prefer buying online versus getting into the car, fighting traffic, and dealing with brain dead big box salespeople.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Got my last one from AJ Madison.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    11 years ago

Home Depot and Lowes both usually offer a "ship to store" option - if it's available on their website, check whether you can buy it online and have it shipped to your nearest store for pick up. The other advantage is that you don't have to pay shipping. I bought my microwave from Best Buy that way.

On the other hand, I've had only good experiences with Amazon shipping.

• Fori
    11 years ago

I'd go with Amazon. You won't even have to get dressed. They're really really easy about returns but those things are packed well enough it shouldn't be a problem.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

"I'd go with Amazon. You won't even have to get dressed. "
    LOL That is the best part. Shop from home, in jammies, cup of tea/coffee/wine/whatevs, and they leave it at our front door! No traffic, no parking hassle.