Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fiddleddd

Advantium Speed Cook 120v or 240v?

fiddleddd
13 years ago

We had decided on the Advantium 120v Speedcook oven, mostly on the recommendation of the saleslady at HH Gregg. I figured she'd prefer to sell us the more expensive unit, so I thought she was being honest by saying that the 120v would suffice. BUT, then I saw the comments on the following thread here on GW, and almost everyone says definitely get the 240v. Other than of course being more powerful, what specifically can you do with the 240v that you can't do with the 120v? Thanks so much for the help!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0919002027766.html?7

Comments (16)

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

Cook 8x as fast as a conventional oven.

Its kinda like getting the Porsche Boxster instead of the Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabriolet.

Both will bet you from point A to point B. Eventually :)

The Boxster only cooks 4x as fast as a conventional oven.

If your time is not that valuable then why buy a speed oven?

• chac_mool
    13 years ago

In addition to what deeageaux said above, the 120v units may have more reliability problems than the 220v ones, as if they're trying to do too much with too little power.

[This was my impression from owner reports I saw while Google searching Advantium ovens a few months ago, not particularly from comments on GW. Maybe reported problems with the 120v ovens have been resolved now...]

• lee676
    13 years ago

The 240v Advantium actually has *four times* the wattage available to it (not twice as much), since it also runs off of a 30 amp circuit rather than 15 amp. As a result, not only does the 240v Advantium cook faster, but the food tastes better and has better texture when using the speed-cooking modes. In order to cook quickly, the 120v Advantium relies heavily on microwaves to heat quickly, with only a little power left over for the halogen lamp and ceramic heating element, so food cooked in it tastes more like slightly crispier microwaved food than anything that was baked in a conventional thermal oven.

• fiddleddd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

deeageaux.....I know I'm going to miss my double ovens when we move. We're down-sizing to a much smaller house. So.....enter the Advantium. It gives me the microwave (off the counter) and a second oven. I cook a lot.....the thing is, I'm sure there will be a learning curve with the Advantium.....will have to see how I do with it.

chac_mool......I'll go to Google and snoop around for more comments. Thanks!

lee676......I guess the only way I can really comprehend what you're saying is to TASTE food prepared in both Advantiums and then compare. And I don't think that's going to happen. :-) I do have a friend who got one a year ago and loves it! For instance, would chicken prepared in a 120v. have a crispy skin? Or do you know?

Thank you all for your help! It's just such a different technology that I'm having a hard time getting my head around it.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

The Advantium is seriously expensive to use as a microwave. And complicated.

People I know that have one use it as a speed oven and have a seperate MW to do simple stuff like reheat tea or coffee.

Using the Advantium as a workhorse MW will really shorten the lifespan of the magnetron. That is not an inexpensive repair.

If your attitude is "hey, I make deep six figures. I can get a spendy MW if I want" cool. Just be aware.

• antss
    13 years ago

For electrical heating appliances 220v is ALWAYS better than 120v.

Period.

• attofarad
    13 years ago

IIRC, the earlier version of the 240V Advantium had a smaller interior than the 120V version. You still see those, new, on eBay and some other online sites. For the newer 240V model, that disadvantage is gone.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Using the Advantium as a workhorse MW will really shorten the lifespan of the magnetron.

How often does this happen? I think my aunt did finally wear out her Radar Range after 35 years, but I don't know anyone else who has killed one? I know someone who had a problem with the door latch, but it was easily fixed. Do people really wear out the magnetron? How long does it take?

I've been trying to learn to use the speed oven part of my Advantium, but so far I haven't been happy with the results. Definite learning curve. But Fiddledd, the MW and oven part are pretty straightforward and don't take a lot of learning. Hint for the MW--if you press Express it turns on for 30 seconds. Pressing again adds 30 to the clock, but you can use the wheel to adjust the time up or down to suit yourself. That's the easiest way to get precise control. You can change the time that way once you've pressed start if you're using the menus as well.

• fiddleddd
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everybody. I'm finally getting back to check on your responses. Thanks! I'm beginning to wonder if I really want to spend so much money on an Advantium oven. Some people have suggested instead to just get a convection/microwave unit that can be used as a 2nd oven.

I mean, how fast do I need to cook, actually? But the thing that really scares me is how many people (even those who like the way their Advantiums cook) are really bummed out when they need service. You need a tech guy to come out even to change the light bulb, and repairs are really pricey.

Maybe I should start a new topic on the convection/microwave idea. Does anyone here know anything about them? GE makes one and Bosch has a nice looking one. I need the built-in model, not over-the-range.

deeageaux.....I had to laugh......even if I made 'deep six figures', I don't necessarily need to spend it on an Advantium. :-)

• loracekim
    6 years ago

From GE

The primary difference is in the speed and interior light function:

240 volt Advantium

• 4x-8x faster than conventional cooking
    • Can
      have multiple heat functions on at once: microwave, fan, upper heat,
      lower heat, interior lights, etc. Ex. During Speedcooking, the microwave
      and upper and/or lower lamps can be on at the same time while cooking.
    • Interior light is the halogen cooking lights, so light does not stay on; cycles on/off with the cooking.
    • No preheat necessary, except with convection cooking.

120 volt Advantium

• 2x-4x faster than conventional cooking
    • Heat
      functions cycle one at a time: microwave, fan, upper heat, lower heat,
      lights, etc. Ex. During Speedcooking, the microwave, upper lamps and
      lower lamps cycle on at different times.
    • Has a separate light for the interior light; light stays on.
    • Preheating is recommended
  • loracekim
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Because people like me still go to these 4 and 8 year old posts to get information. The info was based on a recent answer from GE. If you no longer want the info ignore it someone may find it helpful.

• Steve Breen
    6 years ago

There was some comments about life span. I have a 240v with a mfg date of March2000. Micro just puked, magnetron. This thing is great once you get used to it. Currently shopping replacement, cant wait to get it.

• loracekim
    6 years ago

18 years not bad thanks for the update.

• Chris Phillips
    5 years ago
    I am considering buying a 120v over the range Advantium to replace my Bosh convection + microwave. I found the convection pre-heat to be so slow and so loud, it wasn’t practical at all. The microwave was weak and uneven. Now the handle broke off.
  • Louis Rast
    3 years ago

Had the Monogram Advantium 240v in our old house; installed it in 2005 used it every day for 10 years, not one problem, never had to have any work done on it and loved the light technology. Putting it in our remodel kitchen now.