Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristinar_gw

Thermador Freedom Freezer--Can't Get Ice Working

kristinar
16 years ago

We just had our Thermador Freedom Frig and Freezer installed. We can't seem to get the ice maker to work. Our contractor says the water line is hooked up and we pushed the ice maker button to turn it on but no luck. I'm hoping there is a simple solution that we missed--like a switch that needs to be flipped??? I looked at the directions but didn't find any additional information.

Comments (10)

• lizzysher
    16 years ago

If you find out the problem, please post. I'm considering purchasing the freezer thanks

• jakvis
    16 years ago

You didn't say which models you have but I've installed a few of these.
    1. you need to see the word ice in the control display.
    2. your bucket needs to be locked in place and fully pushed back.
    3. most Icemakers won't produce ice until the Freezer has been running several hours. I usually tell my customers that they wont see ice until 12+ hours have passed. The Freezer need to get cold enough for ice and the icemaker needs to cycle a couple times before water gets to it.
    4. the Freedoms seem to make their fastest ice production when the freezer is set for -4ºF. At least thats what their techline told me.
    5. Is the water actually turned on?
    6. Is the filter fully turned and locked into place? I have seen a couple units where the filter was not fully turned to lock and that shuts the water off.

I hope this helps
    Jakvis

• lascatx
    16 years ago

The ice bucket can seem like it's back all the way and still not trip the button that will release ice. To make sure, get dow so that the ice bucket is at eye level and look through so you can see the back wall through it. There is a horizontal switch that is triggered to let ice release. Make sure you can see it flip as you puah the bucket in. You may be able to feel the bucket lock into place too. It might seem like a second stop.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

Did you get it working?

• kristinar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lascatx--thanks for the additional info. Yes, I got it working. I'm not sure if it was my turning the water filter cartridge or pushing the ice bucket back--but we have ice. I'll take a look again at what you suggested with the ice bucket--just to see what you mean. I hadn't seen your post when I messed around with everything. But I'm glad to have all of these tips! Thanks so much!!

• lascatx
    16 years ago

Glad you have ice. I think the drawer not being far enough back is the number one problem. It has to click into place, not just glide back, for the ice to dump. If the drawer is full or nearly, it doesn't matter so much, but when my son takes his galon water jug to band practice every day, it matters a lot by the end of the week.

Enjoy!

• none8163
    13 years ago

I purchased a freedom freezer in August. The icemaker never
    worked. I had to wait for 6 weeks to get a new icemaker.
    When it came the technician told me the cable for the icemaker was not hooked up to power.
    There is a cable near the filter that has to plug in.
    I hope this help.

• chips4000
    11 years ago

My freezer column is about 5 years old - stopped making ice - changed filter and still not making ice - any ideas?

• guijunna
    11 months ago

My new freezer (T24IF905SP) column doesn’t make ice even though it would make a little ice like 8 or 10 little cubs right after we power on the freezer. Now we have contacted Thermador and they are gonna send out oursourced technician to look at our Freezer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.