Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaksopcam_gw

Help! Foil Melted on Oven Floor

jaksopcam
14 years ago

I have had my Electrolux Double Ovens for only a month and tonight I was so intent on keeping the pretty blue interior clean that I put aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven (the floor not the rack) and it melted and is not stuck. I called Electrolux and they of course advised me NOT to put aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven (thank you very much). The woman recommended warm soapy water but couldn't tell me anything else. I've been scrubbing with a microfiber cloth and only a little has come off. I'm not sure if I should try the self cleaner or if anyone has any ideas.

I read somewhere that someone put ketchup on the foil and after weeks most of it finally came off. I'd rather not wait weeks!

Comments (12)

• clinresga
    14 years ago

This was a discussion maybe a year ago here. My recollection, sadly, is that there is no fix for this once the foil has melted. Hopefully someone will post and prove me wrong.

• weissman
    14 years ago

No, there's no cure for this. The manual should have warned you not to line the bottom of the oven with foil but unfortunately many people don't read the manual. The good news, I think, is that the oven will still work properly.

• weissman
    14 years ago

Here's an older thread I found with google - several people did this with their Wolf ovens and sadly, there is no remedy other than to basically ignore it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about Wolf ovens and foil

• antss
    14 years ago

I'm curious if this oven has a self clean function?

If so, is that not easy enough to use for keeping the oven clean?

Is/ was the foil just a quicker solution?

Thanks

• tommmy2007
    14 years ago

In a gas oven. You never put foil on the bottom of the oven. Its one of the biggest mistakes in gas cooking. Physics wise it creates an insulated zone or air gap ( it creates a second oven bottom ) which reduces the efficiency of your oven and the reaction time to a thermostat's command. It can cause a over tem. of the burner compartment due to the additional insulation zone. It can also produce inefficient combustion which can result in carbon monoxide, and even the chance of a explosions. I was shocked by this because I had always put aluminum foil on the ovens bottom all my life. I read this on DOE web site but can not find the link again. Put the foil on the bottom rack under the pan's area and not the whole oven bottom rack. The really sad part about this that physics rears it's ugly head again and bites you ( the bottom of that pretty new oven will get dirty and you will have to clean it) .

• wa8b
    14 years ago

Here in lies a cautionary tale. I'm sorry to hear that your new oven has been disfigured by this mistake. I'm sure it's a painful lesson.

But for goodness sake, the owner's manual warns against putting foil on the oven floor for this very reason.

Anyone else reading this...do yourselves a favor before using new appliances and read the owner's manual first. You'll enjoy better results, and you won't make regrettable mistakes like this one.

• gin_gin
    14 years ago

I did the very same thing, trying to keep the brand new oven in our brand new rental house brand new. I'd never had a gas range before & didn't realize the mistake until it was too late. Got a lot of it off, it's only melted on in the middle. Looking at it it looked like the whole bottom could be replaced pretty easily, so I went on the sears parts site (it's a Kenmore range) and ordered a new oven floor. It wasn't that expensive. I'm waiting to replace it until we move out. Will be like a brand new oven again & we'll get our deposit back.

• antss
    14 years ago

Tommy - Electrolux doesn't make a gas oven.

The problem arises from the concealed bottom heating element.

• socalusa
    14 years ago

I have an Electrolux gas oven, but it's a slide in range not a wall unit and the only references I could find in the manual about foil were these:

* Protective liners - Do not use aluminum foil to line oven bottom or any other part of the appliance. Only use aluminum foil as recommended for baking if used as a cover placed on the food. Any other use of protective liners or aluminum foil may result in a risk of electric shock or fire or a short circuit. (I'm assuming here that the shock & short circuit refers to an electic oven.)

* Do not cover your broiler or warmer drawer (if equipped) grid with aluminum foil. Exposed fat and grease could ignite.

• gizmonike
    14 years ago

One hint to help keep oven bottoms clean: use sheet pans under everything that can drip or spatter. You can line these with foil, parchment paper, or silpat if you want easy sheet pan cleanup. The most common size of sheet pan for most home ovens is the half-sheet pan, usually 18" x 12" x 1".

• kaseki
    14 years ago

Electric wall ovens with hidden lower heater coils, e.g., Wolf, also have this prohibition against aluminum foil. Even if one were using a foil that wouldn't melt under those conditions (titanium?), the other hazards noted above would remain.

kas

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

If the tomato ketchup thing is true, then try vinegar. It's the acid that is dissolving the aluminum.