Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_ia

Electrolux wall oven holding turkey hostage!

Lauren_IA
15 years ago

I'm fairly new to my Electrolux wall oven but I don't know what I did to anger it to the point that it has taken a turkey breast hostage. I had it set on convection bake at 425 but was ready to change it to convection roast after 20 minutes when it was time to reduce the temp to 350. However, once the original setting was cancelled, the oven just would not accept my efforts to change settings. Though it seemed willing, for awhile, to accept a new convection roast or convection bake setting and temperature setting it wouldn't start the cycle. Eventually, I lost track of the order I was pushing buttons in an effort to get it reset and going.

What I do know--beyond a reasonable doubt--is that I did not push the lock button on the control panel. HOWEVER, the oven--apparently tired of being poked and prodded--decided to set itself to "Lock Door" and "Lock Controls". That was about two and a half hours ago. (On the bright side, it has not been cooking during this time.) I understand from the manual that the locked settings should be able to be cancelled or, at a minimum, shut itself off after it has cooled for an hour. No such luck. The cancel button will not "push" for me nor can I "push" the lock button. I can reset the time and turn on and off the light but that's all.

I've reset the breaker; given the oven a 30 minute cool off with the breaker off; and sat patiently with the panel lit up with the lock button and door locked and control locked lit up. The control panel is warm to the touch. The turkey breast is not blocked up against the convection fan. The door did not get as hot as an oven door does during the cleaning cycle. I am going to go shut the breaker off for the night and hope one of you has the magic answer when I check back tomorrow!

Comments (10)

• whidbey
    15 years ago

Hi Lauren,

Not sure which model number you ahve so I just looked up a recent manual. I know you said you did not push the LOCK feature, but have you tried holding the lock button down for three seconds?? That's all I can find in the manual.

Let us know if the turkey is released unharmed. :)

• bbstx
    15 years ago

ROFLMAO!!! Have you gotten a ransom note yet?

• whidbey
    15 years ago

Woke up this morning and immediately turned on the news to see if there was a turkey standoff anywhere. Nothin'.

I suspect FOWL play. I'm thinking this was the work of of a pro.

Please keep us ABREAST of the situation. Anxiously awaiting an update... Whidbey.

• Lauren_IA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is with mixed joy and sadness that I am here to announce that the hostage has been released after long and intense negotiations!

Thank you to the expertise of whidbey who, apparently, has access to top secret information on the '3-second rule' not available in my manual (or perhaps, not yet found in my manual). Within just the last five minutes, the turkey breast was released from the strangle-hold of my Electrolux wall oven upon the third attempt at holding down the lock button for three seconds.

Unfortunately, the turkey breast did not survive the night in the clutches of the evil-doer. A memorial service will be held this afternoon at the compost bin. Tomorrow, I will scheduled my grief counseling as I struggle over the guilt of how I may have unwittingly contributed to this tragedy. Perhaps I did, in my frenzy, press the lock button and wasted the sacrifice of that heroic bird and the accompanying organic roasted red potatoes.

As I gaze at the open oven door (drying out the overnight condensation build-up), I notice that the two dogs and two cats have also gathered at the oven to pay tribute to the deceased. At least, I think that is why they are here....

• whidbey
    15 years ago

*a moment of silence*

• whidbey
    15 years ago

Lauren, I'm cracking up!

In all seriousness, I looked up an Electrolux manual online (kind of randomly picked one that had the convection feature). What's strange is that it says you cannot "lock" the oven when it's on. Weird how that happened.

Here's what the text said:

The Control Lock feature automatically locks the upper oven door, control panel. The Control
    Lock is only allowed when the oven is turned OFF (not active). DOOR LOCK will flash in the
    display for 20 seconds or until the door has finished locking. Once the door has been locked,
    Loc message will appear in the upper display. Do not attempt to open the oven door while
    DOOR LOCK is flashing.
    To toggle the Control Lock ON and OFF:
    1. Keep CONTROL LOCK pressed for 3 seconds.

Here's a link in case of any future hostage situations. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrolux Oven Use & Care Guide

• netski
    15 years ago

This is the best laugh I've had in quite a while but the sad news is I have an electrolux oven waiting to be installed and I have cooked on the same electric range for abt 30 years and now you have made me realize that I will probably spend alot of time crying and wishing I had my old electric oven back. I can see that this could be happening to me on a daily basis. Thanks for the laugh though!

• whidbey
    15 years ago

netski, I'll be getting Electrolux Icon appliances too. Hope all will be well for us! :)

• kleokitty50_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have read the earlier posts and giggled my way through them, kind of. You see at this very moment my $24 organic chicken is being held hostage in my Kenmore wall oven. I hope that if I can secure it's release that it is not totally smoked.
    I'm going to try the 3 second rule and see what happens.

• HU-26213
    7 years ago

Thank you, Whidbey for saving my day. By chance I looked at this web site and read Lauren's tale. I laughed and felt complete sympathy. I am renting a house for the summer and some how the oven locked. Probably I hit a button accidentally. I had tried the suggestions from very official looking sites and the oven never opened. I had been wondering about emailing our landlady in England but I read your page first. The three seconds worked like a charm. Thank you. Thank you.