Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenbquik

NXR Range

kenbquik
14 years ago

This oven has exceeded my expectations. Set-up and installing was very easy. Did it myself! Range is built very solid and heavy! Knobs, grates, oven racks and door feel very substantial when turning, pulling, opening. I've owned this range for 6-7 months and I'm pleased with every use. One of many selling points are the 4 15k burners. You can't get that on GE Cafe, DCS, Viking, etc. Next the convection... sweet!!! Perfect for pizza! 3yrs ago I purchased a mid-priced whrilpool, self cleaning and electronic display. Also, a 12k, 2- 10k, 5k simmer burner. The only burner we used was the 12k! Then the electronic display broke and suddenly no oven! This time, I was going to pay more for better quality. Had to swallow hard at the prices for DCS, Viking, Wolf, but... was willing... Did a search and found NXR. Who? Took a gamble and won! When friends come over (who own DCS, Wolf, etc.) they can't believe what I got for what I paid. They are most impressed with the FOUR 15k burners, that the GE cafe' series doesn't have and it's $3k. Face it, some people chase name brands with out fully looking under the hood! So, lesson here buy up for value/quality, not name brand alone.

Comments (43)

• tom_p_pa
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Why do we need to go accusing others. What if they are not a shill, your response is inappropriate then, correct? People do read and never post, and there is such as thing as a first time poster. We all had to post for the first time. I read all the NXR material on their homepage, and I do not see any reciting of marketing material.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Really Tom? You really think Kenbquick is a legitimate first-time gardenwebber? Oh my.

As I already said, first time posters typically post with a question or seeking advice. And the number of exclamation points in Kenbquick's post is also a dead giveaway.

Do you think that perhaps Kenbquick will post back and discuss other aspects of his/her kitchen? That we'll be seeing a lot more of him/her?

• ninkat
    14 years ago

Yeah, I'm afraid (even though I'm a total newbie here)that I agree with you Chicago. I read the post with interest, but wondered about it being posted as a separate matter and not in response to my question about how people felt about Bertazzoni vs. NXR. (Given that it seemed to have been posted on the heels of my query, I mean.) I am heading out to Brooklyn to day to AJ Madison where I think I can see both. I am now also wondering about the difference between the Master and Pro series of Bertazzoni--what's the difference there besides knobs vs. handles. Wish this was less confusing. Thanks for all the advice.

• matt_r
    14 years ago

AJ Madison does not have NXR ranges on the floor, at least when I called them a month or two ago.

Renos in NJ is the best floor showroom. They have a 36" and 30" (slanted front) model, as well as a ton of other ranges.

And what are we gaining by accusing others, who is to know for sure? Can we just stop this, and move on. I ignor posts I do not like, that makes the forum better in the long run.

• ninkat
    14 years ago

Thanks, Matt. I'll call before I head out there, for sure! And I'll see if I can get a ride to Renos, if not.

• pete_p_ny
    14 years ago

Take pictures and post. Would like to see the inside of the oven and more pictures in general.

• ninkat
    14 years ago

So, as soon as I can figure out how to download the pictures I too from my phone (they probably aren't great at that), I'll try to post them. (Can someone tell me how to upload them--I'll try and figure it out when I can.)

Bottom line is, I was blown away by the NXR. The heft of the burners just feels so much more sturdy than the Berta ones. I could hold both and compare at Reno's (nice showroom, by the way. Also, the oven size is really a big difference. They did not have the 30" Berta there, but the 36" Berta's oven is a little wider, by not nearly as deep as the NXR 30". I'm not sure really how else to describe what I saw, but I would not at this point, I don't think, buy the Berta. As pretty as it is, and as happy as people seem to be with it. I would feel better, though, if more people who have been serious about this quest for longer than I have, who are not salespeople, would take a look and give me their impression.

Oh, also, they only had the less expensive model there with the slanted handle and controls, and I did not expect to like that either. But I did. Seems to me that the dials might be more protected by the overhanging lip, and for ease of viewing, they were nice too. At just under $2000, I was really very impressed.

Thanks. Pictures to come.

• tom_p_pa
    14 years ago

Check the other link called NXR. I started the quest too with a simple post asking about this range...and it has taken on a life of its own. Renos has the 30" straight front marked up too high. You can get the straight front for $1900 at other locations. I called AusTex and they were very helpful. I agree, nice range.

• ninkat
    14 years ago

Thanks Tom. I'll call around...Saw the other threads on this.

• fozzy65
    14 years ago

Hello all,
    I am also interested in the NXR ranges. Has any one here ordered from Aus/Tex before? They seem to have the best price.
    Please, any one out there that has one (NO shrills please) chime in and give us the lowdown. I do not want to buy another piece of crap like the Maytag Gemini we bought 5 years ago.
    This looks good for the price. There is no where close to go look at one (Aus/Tex would be the closets to us, 9 hrs) so I am trying to find all of the info I can. I have read all of the other posts out there, just want a range that will work right longer than 30 days.
    Thanks,
    Fozzy65

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

Check out this thread fozzy65. You will see the info on Aus/Tex in there. There are a few other threads floating around that you could probably search for. I am still considering this range as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: NXR Ranges

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

If you want "perfect" reliability, alas, none of the products out there today is going to provide that. For me, working with a dealer that will support you on a several-thousand-dollar purchase is worth a few extra dollars. I chose a dealer, that although completely across the country, answers the phone and emails when I had questions and stands behind the product they sell. A few dollars and a modest freight charge is well worth that level of support, to me.

• guadalupe
    14 years ago

the NXR range seems to be developing a following, I have not read of anyone with any problems. Price point is great.

• ninkat
    14 years ago

Hi, I'm trying to upload the pictures I took last weekend. When I drag the .pdf into this box, it just takes up the whole screen and there are none of the regular buttons to preview message, etc. Does anyone know what I should do? (The pictures are fuzzy, not great, but I did take them, and promised to display, so I feel I should.) In any case, I am one phone call away from ordering from Texas. They have the straight-handled model for $1999, no deliver or tax charges, and a five year extended warranty for $99.

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

ninkat - I am putting in a link to some instructions put together over on the kitchen forum. If you scroll down you will see more info on how to post photos. Hope this helps but post again if you could not get it.

Thanks for the update and hopefully the photos will be here soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: How To

• ninkat
    14 years ago

Thanks for the instructions. Here are the pictures. Not great, but all I could take with my phone camera.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Does anyone know when the slanted handles are going to be discontinued? Also does anyone know if the middle part of the stove with no ranges gets hot when cooking? I find the NXR very nice to look at in person and feels substantial as well as so easy to use.

• fall
    14 years ago

I have a bluestar, and that center gets warm/hot when used. So I am sure the NXR will get hot too. It is not "boiling" hot though. You can get a center grate for $50 with the NXR which I would definitely get to make sliding pots around easier.

Do you like the slanted one?

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Hi fall, I liked the slanted one only because that is the type of arm in the show room for the 30" model. I think I need to go back and look at the straight arm since I loved the way it looked on the NXR in Stacey's kitchen she posted.

Fall, is the Bluestar difficult to clean? SO you have the open flame that looks like it cooks better but the Bluestar is out of my price range and I am surprised that I am willing to pay so much now for the three models I am looking at that includes the NXR now that I have learned about ranges and want all my controls in the front of the range for safety reasons due to my petite size. I want to enjoy cooking again so I will cook like I used to.

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

BlueStar is probably one of the easiest ranges to clean due to its open burners and the ease with which the oven "hardware" just slides out. It is, as you point out, in a different price class than the NXR.

While there some pro-style ranges that have a self-clean feature, it is generally a significant increase in price. Some argue that the self-clean feature on an oven increases the failure rate -- certainly it can mean higher temperatures on sensitive electronics and components.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Thank you sfjeff for explaining this. I guess I have to think about this since I do love the NXR and I love the GE Cafe. I may have to see them both in person again and ask questions on the Self-cleaning feature. I just thought less chemicals in an oven would be better.

• fall
    14 years ago

No clue how hard to clean, have not done it yet. However, my past ranges had self cleaning, and I rarely used them, I found them partially effective at best. A can of cleaner from the grocery store always seemed to do a much better job. And I hated having to leave it on for hours and hours at max temperature.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Thanks Fall for your input. I bought the GE Cafe Gas Range for the self-cleaning feature (have not had it delivered or installed yet since I am waiting for feedback about the hood that I have to see first in the store since it was a special delivery item) but I keep wondering if I made a mistake since I love the NXR's sturdy frame, features (i.e, four 15K BTU burners, stainless steel sides, no electronics to break down, etc.) and look. I just really dislike cooking and those that use their self-cleaning feature just love it.

• kenbquik
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello there friendly and nice people of garden web. Thanks for the warm welcome. Shame... No I'm not a shill (whatever that is).... Just a real person in need of an oven without spending double my mortgage payment, college savings for 2 kids, etc. on a $6k range and end up regretting it down the line. In this household, we don't get off on having major yuppie brands with lots of hype. Been there done that...back in the 80's. We all want nice stuff, but why pay more?? I'm also sure we know people to spend $$ and feel the need to justify the $$ they over spent on that purchase. Whatever... Unless you are a professional cook in the biz, then $6 is probably worth it! Otherwise, save your money. I didn't find much info on this company either. Searched Google high and low then, found this forum. I purchased my NXR approx 8 mos ago from AJ Madison. It is the $2k model with slanted handles. $400 is extra is a lot to pay for straight handles. So, I'm going to start here... AJ Madison who??? I'm in California. Anyway, they were nice to deal with. Very happy not to pay sales tax (10% here), plus a delivery charge when I'm 3k miles from NY. The delivery guys were cool, put it in the garage, waited till I inspected and even took away the extra packaging! Now on to the oven... it's been through Thanksgiving and Xmas and a whole lot stuff in between. Yes it's solid. I love the power in the burners. The oven racks do not slide in/out too easily, but I'm okay with that. Otherwise, new to convection cooking, so a learning curve there. No other problems with the oven and stove top. Haven't had any issues with scratching. As noted I did install myself with a neighbor, it was a great feeling of power, as a ordinary guy! I definitely would recommend this brand to everyone I know. When I talk about the features compared to others, they are surprised what it does for the price and have to look twice. Some of which are Wolf, DCS, GE Cafe owners. Some of these other high end brands can't and won't be able to beat it. $2k is a good price point. Yep, the NXR was a replacement to a mid-priced whirlpool with a malfunctioning electronic display and self-cleaning parts. Through Googling, found out that there is a class-action brewing. But, that's another story. Bottom line... I don't care what oven brand you ultimately buy. I'm very happy with the oven and who knows... my next oven might be Bertazzoni or another NXR.

• gkls_att_net
    14 years ago

Well finally broke down and bought the NXR 36" with griddle and installed it how fun as i remodeled a little because of the range. I am very glad i bought this instead of the 5000+ price tags on the other high end ranges. With all the complaints on the others they were not even a consideration. Got this one for $3100 free shipping cant beat that i guess. The shipping company damaged it that sucked so they are going to pay for the repairs which is fine. I am very happy with the appearance as it seems to be made very well. I will say that this thing makes small noises as it heats up the griddle or the oven, expansion and contraction of the metal which i will have to get used too,kinda sounds like a car engine when cooling down how you get that pop. The range seems to work great though and do not have buyers regret that is a nice feeling. Will put pictures on here when i figure out why it wont let me.

• rjpjnk
    14 years ago

Hi all,
    I just joined after a google search turned up this thread. I am considering the NXR 36' range and looking forward to hearing any additional info you guys turn up.

gkls: Can I ask where you found it for the great price (3100)? I also noticed today that costco of Canada sells it for 2899. I don't know if it's possible to get it delivered in the USA though. I was so excited until I realized it was the Canada site I was looking at.

Too bad...

Here is a link that might be useful: costco.ca NXR link

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

Did you find the other NXR threads out here? I will include one of them. Be sure to use the search at the BOTTOM of the forum page.

I haven't looked at the 36'' so I can't really speak for the prices. I am still debating the 30''. It seems like a great range for the price.

Here is a link that might be useful: NXR

• rjpjnk
    14 years ago

Well, I went to a local appliance store (Reno's Appliances) Here in NJ and looked at the 36" NXR tonight. I was very impressed overall. It is a very sturdy looking and feeling range. Strong and solid. Some people have commented that they didn't think the stainless steal quality looked that good, but I did not notice this myself. The only thing I didn't like about the body was that the seems were a little more noticeable where panels were joined, and the top (under the burners) appears to be three separate sections joined by stainless strips. A little cheezy looking compared to the other big names next to it, but easy enough to live with imho. The oven door gasket is on the door rather than the body. Oven is a beautiful cobalt blue. Seems to be about 17" deep max from door to the convection fan, so you won't fit an 18" sheet. THe burner grates are tall and if you slide a small pan around it may tip in some spots. As advertised, it is not a continuous grate. All in all I think I like it. Will be going back in two days to look at it again. Also considering the DCS 36".

If anyone needs any particular info/measurements, or pictures please let me know.

• rjpjnk
    14 years ago

odiegirl,
    Thanks for posting that thread link. I very much enjoyed reading it. It seems very positive overall. Pretty much everyone likes what they've seen so far with the NXR. I believe it has been out about 3 years now, but I have not found any reports of defects yet. This makes me think they are holding up well. The burners seem very special. Nice to know their origin.

• pete_p_ny
    14 years ago

A continous grate in the center can be purchased for around $50.

• rjpjnk
    14 years ago

Pete,
    Are you saying there is a continuous grate available that will fit the NXR? That's good news if so. Can you post a link or tell me where it can be found? Why just the center?

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Pans tipping on the burners has not been much of an issue for us. Occasionally our small skillet has to be re-centered, but it's really not a problem.

The center grate (which I don't have... thought I would get one but have not seen the need yet) fits between the two banks of burners. If you look at the other nxr threads on here ("...nxr?") you can see photos.

• rjpjnk
    14 years ago

Hi Stacey,
    I have been reading every NXR thread I could find here, but I haven't seen the continuous grate pics you mentioned. I'm still getting used to navigating on this forum. Thankfully someone pointed out that the search function is hidden at the bottom of the page ;-) I wonder, is there a way to sort the search results by most recent update? Perhaps that is the default. Also, is there a way to show only threads I participated in? or set up email notification?

btw, I really like the look of your kitchen. You have made some excellent choices with the project. Nice wood tones. Love the island with drawers, and the hood.

I'm glad to hear your NXR is up and running again, and also that it was simple to work on. btw, are you running NG or LP? We are LP here. I understand it decreases the burner BTU.

Thanks,
    Rich

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Rich, we are on LP here. No NG available. I was worried about the decrease as well. I heard varying things from various manufacturers (some giving actual reduction numbers and some claiming absolutely no reduction.) All I can say is that my burners are plenty hot for searing, stirfry, etc. They are just SO much better than any range I have had before.

• pete_p_ny
    14 years ago

Here it is. You can buy these for around $40-$50. Any place that sells the range had these for sale also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Center Grate

• rjpjnk
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link Pete. I had already seen that grate for the 30" NXR. I thought you were saying there was a alternate grate for the 36" I guess I misunderstood. Sorry for the confusion.

• llaatt22
    14 years ago

rjpjnk:

To access every thread in a certain forum you are reading at that moment (like Appliances in the Home Forums List) and have commented on, just return to that forum's thread list (any page number) page and enter you user name in the bottom search box and click.

To access every thread you have commented in all Home forums same as above except click "Entire Site" button then "Search".

If you have only bookmarked "Home Forums" or "Appliances" you can also select (Garden) Forums and (Nature) Forums near the top of the page where it says GardenWeb in a green box.

• rjpjnk
    14 years ago

Stacey,
    I just went to take another look at it in the showroom and I still can't decide. Let me ask you a few questions only an owner could answer.

(1) Have you noticed it to be scratch prone?

(2) Does yours wobble at all or is it rock solid?

(3) How do you find the clean-up of the top? How about those seams?

(4) The grates are very tall. Do you find the pans to be too far from the burners?

(5) How is the flame spread? Is it too wide for small pots (1-2 qt)?

(6) How well does it simmer? When you turn those burners all the way down does the flame still come out of both the center and the edge, or just the center?

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Answers:

1) In the beginning I was paranoid about every little scratch. Small scrathces come out easily with Bar Keeper's friend and one of those "gentle" blue scrubbie sponges. Then one day my DH used a "rough" green scrubbie instead. He scratched the center SS area badly. I was so upset!!! However, after 5-6 weeks of use, and regular cleaning, the bad scratch has blended somewhat. I expect it will continue to do so.

I have never had a SS range before, so I can't comment on the scratching in comparison to to other ranges. However, I was very aware when we were shopping for ranges, of the scratches. I noticed that the GE Cafes in most showrooms had the worst and deepest scratches. Perhaps that's only because more people were looking at them, moving the grates, etc? If you expect it to stay absolutely pristing, showroom condition, you're going to have to be extraordinarily careful )like, don't cook on it!) but personally, I like a little lived-in feeling. That's why I got marble countertops, which had etching and scratches after the first 2 days, despite babying them!

2)My range is rock solid. It is very very heavy. It has easily adjustible feet.

3) The seams could be easier to clean... but it's not awful. I have yet (after, what, 10 months use?) to get out a toothbrush because I can't clean the grooves.... that may happen at some point but so far, the corner of a sponge has worked just fine. To me, it's one of the trade-offs that I just didn't feel justified spending an extra $1000.

4) Not at all!!!!! What would be the result of something being too far away? The flames hit the bottom of my pans just right. I get a VERY hot flame, or a VERY low simmer... no problem.

5) The only pan I have a problem with is my tiny saucepan. The bottom is about 5" wide. On medium to high flame, the flame is too large for the pan. It is fabulous on the low (smaller) simmer though. I do still use this pan for rice, since that amount of time it needs to be on the outer flame ring is so short, and then it gets turned down to the smaller inner flame for most of the cooking time. And its great for melting butter or chocolate of course.

6) See above. Simmer is the smaller inner burner. In most cases this is wonderful. The only time it's not is when simmering in my hugest pan... I feel I stir a little more often since the flame is concentrated in the center of such a large pan. The burner works like this: As you turn the dial counter clockwise: you start at high, a high flame from the outer burner ring AND a high flame from the small inner ring. As you decrease the dial, the outer flame diminishes. At about 6:00, the outer flame turns off, and you're just on the inner flame, which continues to decrease until you get the barest whisper of a flame on low. The transition between the two is the only place where it's not perfectly, infinitley adjustable. This is about Medium, I'd say. Occasionally, with some pans and some contents, I need to switch between the two to maintain the proper cooking temp over time.

I'd recommend you go try one out in a showroom if you can. I think you'll be very impressed with the burners. I caompared them side by side with a Capital Range and the NXR was far nicer, IMHO....

• roxy63
    13 years ago

Is the oven all gas on the NXR? I am looking for a gas convection oven. Anyone else owned this freestanding range for a while? Any quality issues? I am also leaning towards a Bertazzoni. Changed my mind about American Range since I saw the problems (gas leaks) many GW posters wrote about. Not great reviews on the Blue Star freestanding Range either (ceramic burners crack when things spill over?)

I would like to hear feedback about the Blue Star and American Range WALL OVENS. I wonder if they fair any better with owners.

I have never heard of many of the brands and would appreciate any suggestions for a freestanding convection gas range and/or a convection gas wall oven. I will be buying both.

• dsanz
    13 years ago

We bought the NXR 30" for our new kitchen (from Austex). Pics are below. Sorry if there aren't enough close-ups of the range. Here is our experience:
    The stainless top is annoying to clean, but we haven't had any scratching issues in the 8 weeks we've had it.
    The oven is large and the convection function is awesome.
    The burners really do have an excellent range from super hot to a whisper.
    I agree with Stacie that a tiny saucepan is hard to use with medium or high heat because the flame can be too large for the pan.
    It is rock solid. My builder reinforced the floor to handle it.
    We love having no electronics (to fail).

Hope this helps.

Drew

Here is a link that might be useful: NXR Kitchen

• John Hanson
    6 years ago

My NXR was nice, while it lasted. Now the burners click and blow gas all over, because they warp over time. You can see lots of videos of this on YouTube. And, the oven just stays on low, all of the time. The range is about 2 years old, so out of warranty. None of this would be an issue, if there was someone who serviced the range in my area. I've called every appliance repair place in town. None service NXR. I called NXR and they sent me to a company that... wait for it... no longer services NXR. If you're going to buy the range, make certain you have local service.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz