Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maintaining a dishwasher

Posted by wwu123 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 20:10

I'm surprised with the frequent complaints about dishwashers suddenly not cleaning well, that many people mention changing detergents, but hardly anyone mentions checking or maintaining the physical spray arms and water delivery.

I have a six-year old Maytag that was the top-of-the-line at the time. It was never a great machine, but generally performs adequately. However, three times in those six years, the top rack cups and glasses would start coming out with lots of dried grit (looked like salt and pepper stuck on, esp towards the deepest parts of the cup.

Since the mechanisms of the washer are pretty basic and the same - water, heat, motion - all three times I did a simple test to see if the spray arms were working. I'd open up during a cycle and line up the arms, then close up and let the machine restart for a few seconds. Then I'd open up again and see if the arms had moved. In all three times, the upper arm had basically stopped moving, indicating not enough water and pressure was flowing through, and thus most of the upper rack was not getting a strong spray anymore.

Once it turned out the plastic channel in the back that routes water to the upper arm had gotten partially dislodged, and I just had to snap it back. Two times, undissolved food and residue had clogged the spray holes, so I cleaned out the holes with toothpicks and a screwdriver. After remedying the water delivery, the spray arms started moving again, and the upper rack items started getting clean again.

I feel these are common physical things that can degrade many dishwashers regardless of brand, and probably one of the first things to be checked if a dishwasher performance starts to degrade suddenly and gradually. Just wanted to pass this suggestion on to others...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maintaining a dishwasher

A contractor I know told me he once remodeled a kitchen, and the owner happily got a new DW to replace a 5 year old DW that was TOL but never got the dishes clean, at all. When that DW was removed, they found the supply line had been bent, apparently upon installation. They concluded that perhaps the DW never got enough water. I'm not knowledgeable enough about such things, but that may have been the problem, in that particular case.

o

Yeah even commercial dishwashers need the wash arms cleaned out somtimes. Open water lines and drains are important too. Hot enough water and good spray and even a cheapo dw can clean the dishes

o

This is the difference between D/W's with food disposers vs D/W's that filter the wash water.
The food disposer models let food debris go up into the spray arms where the filter models are designed to prevent this.

o

Oho! This explains a lot. I have a Maytag, too, over 4 yrs old, and I'm pretty sure it's a disposer type. I get food on the glasses sometimes, too. I need to clean it out. I should have thought of that. I used to clean out the spray mechanism on my old KA, which I loved, in order to eke out a few more years (it lasted 19 years). My DW repair guy used to come take apart the bottom part and clean it all out for me, too. He told me to run a cup of vinegar through it. Maybe I should try that with the Maytag.

Thanks!

o

Just went throught the Miele install process - they take you through a demo of your new DW...
A couple things they mentioned...
- clean the filter.
- clean out the arms - they pop out easily on Miele's and the holes can get stuck with rice, etc.
- DO Not rinse you plates - the corosive nature of the dish detergent needs something to work on...if there is no food/grease it will attach your plates and the DW seals
- Use basic granular dish detergent. Stay away from gels and liquids as this will leave residue all over the inside of the DW and be cheaper to boot.
- Use Jetdry for drier dishes

capsian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here