Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeboldt

Lacanche Ranges Part 42

joeboldt
12 years ago

Wow, another new thread!

Anyway, regarding color, we have the burgundy and just freakin love it! To me, that is the "natural" color for French anything.

Joe

Comments (104)

• nutherokie_gw
    12 years ago

Nancybzeringue, how exiting! Congratulations on your huge new bundle of joy!
    I can't give you any technical advice, but I'd love to see a picture of your new addition.

As for how to post a picture, the way most of us do it is to upload photos to a Photobucket image hosting account. Once the photos are uploaded, you copy the html code that appears beneath the photo by clicking on it, then paste the code in your message here on Gardenweb. Hit the "preview message" button and the image should appear.

But if you don't want to set up a Photobucket account, you can email me your pics and I can post them for you. Can you tell I'd really like to see your pics? : >

• AilsaM
    11 years ago

Nancy and Finestra,

I'm sorry not to have answered sooner. I received my Cluny 3 weeks earlier than originally indicated. It was somewhat inconvenient but the shipping company said they would happily hold it for a little while. It is now siting in our driveway while the kitchen floor is grouted. I have not posted any pictures yet, not too much to see. The room is painted, the hood is bare upon the wall waiting for the Oak to go around it and the floors are nearly done. They have been a challenge because nearly everything has been shorted with the tile order, so it has taken longer to complete than it should have. The next thing to do is get the propane company and the plumber to come out and do the hookups. THEN the stove can go in. I need to open it and inspect it although I am not worried because the crate is in perfect shape. So unless they left something out everything should be fine. I am a little nervous about adjusting the burners and the flames. Did you experience any issues? I am so excited about seeing it that I want to open it but I do not want it to get damaged before we have a chance to install it. Ah waiting....

• touschez1
    11 years ago

I've been cooking and loving my Chagny 1400. Attached a link to pics. It was the best I could do. Not a fan of the flickr website but hope you can see enough. There has been a replacement stainless steel panel attached to the bottom of the stove, since we had to raise it up on plywood to match counter top height, and the plywood showed. It's just a flat panel cut and attached with heat duty velcro! My grates also came in in time for Easter, but I took the picture before that.

I havent' needed to adjust the flames, I think they are just fine. The flame will go out if turned quickly to low on some of the burners, but I don't want to have any higher at the low setting, so will try to be careful about that. No gas escapes when the flame goes out so that's not an issue.

Ovens seem to be about the right temp, but will get a little thermostat to check any way. I really love the small ovens! Was a little concerned about that, but they heat up quickly, and don't heat up the house as much as my wall ovens, since the exhaust fan on low sucks up the escaping heat from the vents. The wall ovens just poured the heat into the whole kitchen. Keeping the wall ovens since they work and are larger and can use them for holidays. Hold my extra pots and pans now.

Will post one more picture when the visquine is down and my pot racks are up on the wall with all of my copper pots, Waiting till the exhaust is completely finished. Carpenter was supposed to put the type where the motor is in the attic and it;s not, so it's pretty noisy when 1200 cfm is running! He's going to re-attach motor up in the attic inline in the duct. Might make a little less noise, We'll see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Installation of Lacanche stove

• joeboldt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

nancy: that link doesn't take me to your photos - Joe

• touschez1
    11 years ago

What do you see there? Do you see pics at bottom of page? I can't get them to show up any other way. If you click on the one all the way to the left on the bottom of page it will open in a box and then you can enlarge and click arrow to see one after another. If that doesn't work I'll try another way. Too bad pics can't be just copied into the text box like I've seen on some older posts. :(

• touschez1
    11 years ago

Ok let's try this link!

http://flic.kr/p/bKJkbx

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

Nancy, that second link worked for me. Wow, she is a beauty! The ivory is so pretty. Have you used the little broiling oven yet?

• pirula
    11 years ago

It's been eons since I visited, but just had to comment on that lovely ivory Lacanche. A small part of me has color envy, as when I purchased there were far fewer options. And while I love my French blue, it was really my husband's first choice, not mine. I'd have gone for ivory or that incredible purple they have now which name escapes me. But the French blue is gorgeous, oh to only have these types of problems.

Congrats! gorgeous stove and beautiful kitchen.

Ivette

• finestra
    11 years ago

I love the ivory with the brass. It looks beautiful! I also love your garden!

I have just paid for my Sully in full, so I guess in the next few weeks it will be here. Hopefully my cabinets will be in!

• finestra
    11 years ago

My Sully is coming today! The other appliances also came in, except for a damaged microwave.

Any tips/problems about installing?

1/2 of my cabinets are in.

Did you template your counters before or after the install of the Lacanche? What about counter install - before or after stove install?

So excited. If I can remember my photobucket, I will post photos.

• finestra
    11 years ago

My Sully is in.
    Two questions
    1. The right oven door is level and the left door is level, but the right oven door appears lower. Is there anyway to adjust this?

2. What do you do about the spacer at the back. I don't want a 6 inch spacer going up the wall. Is there a flat spacer I can use?

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Finestra. I'm envious that you've got your stove and have it installed! I can't answer your question about oven doors, but I do know that there is an "island" spacer available that lies flat. It's mentioned in the brouchure. I can't remember if it's on the website. That's what I'm planning IF I ever get around to ordering the darned range.

• jameskyflny
    11 years ago

Hi y'all

Haven't been here in a while, but was trying to catch up what everyone has been doing -- seems like a lot of Spring deliveries!

I ordered mine back in the dark Fall, and it was going to be ready early (but my contractor wasn't -- I actually ordered the range before closing on the house, so it's my fault!). AC was nice enough to push my production back; they have been a dream to work with in terms of timing. The Beautiful One has been in a warehouse and they delivered with just a week's notice.

Which brings me to: TBO is here! Was delivered to garage yesterday; I was rabid to pull apart the crate but waited... til today. Came home from work and TBO was pushed partway into place between cabinets; still waiting for counters and final tile work and then -- we're done! Good thing, since we are moving in next week...

I'll be back when all is done, but I have to say that this has been a great experience so far -- Elisa and everyone at AC has been great and accommodating.

J

• touschez1
    11 years ago

Finestra, I hope you're enjoying your sully! My range didn't need a spacer at the back because it abuts a built out pass through to the other room. So there's a hollowed out cavity behind it which allows for the extra oven heat. Apparently you need the flat spacer to allow for the heat.

As for my counters, they were existing as I removed my drop in range and the cabinets below to fit in the Chagny 1400. Contractor trimmed out with the wood trim from the front that was removed. I have a cobalt blue tile counter top that we installed when we restored our house 30 years ago. Keeping the tile because it's tied into the backsplash I want to keep and the tiles are also on the hood over the range. Still love it.

OK, I want to say again how much I love my small ovens. It was one of many issues that was holding me back before I finally ordered. Well I use my them all the time. Much more than my bigger wall ovens. They heat up fast, and the food doesn't dry out like in a bigger oven. Much more efficient. I also love love love my small broiler oven. I thought it was going to be just a broiler, but it's a regular oven too. Like a toaster oven almost. I roast our vegetables in there almost every day! I use the pans that come with the range, which I didn't even know about ahead of time, which fit perfectly, clean easily. The veggies roast to perfection. Again, stay moist because the oven is so small .... caramelize on bottom....brown on top.....yummmmm ! we have a huge vegetable garden so for me this is heaven.

Now that I have finally gotten this range, I just want to say that all the issues I was worried about were just a waste of energy. It's so much better that I could have imagined.

Also want to say the crate it came in was just begging to be turned into a play house for my grand baby! Turned the end panel into split doors, cut a window on each side and put a roof on top! Will have to post a picture of it!

• flevy
    11 years ago

Hi everyone....

I'm getting ready to order. I think I have it figured out. Cluny 1400 in black with nickel trim. I'm working with Victoria and she advised that I order soon in order to avoid the summer shut down if at all possible. I'd like to have my order in my the first week of June if I can.

I put in a request to Nicole to visit a range in my area if possible so we'll see.

For burner configurations I was thinking of getting both the Classique and the Traditional which would give me 2 18,000 BTU burners....do I need this much? Would I be better off getting 2 more smaller burners?

Thanks for the advice!

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

Flevy, I've debated the same question on the burners. I think we've decided on the "classique" with the traditional plate over the warming cab. I can't imagine that won't give us enough burners. We've only got four burners currently and rarely need more.

I forgot all about the summer shutdown! Is that in August? Do you think if you order soon you'll get your range before August?

• flevy
    11 years ago

Nutherokie---I'm right on the border for shipping. The kitchen cabinets are going to be grey so I'm just going with the matte black finish. I've gotten a definite "maybe" it will ship from Victoria :)

As for the burners, I think you're right...4 normal size and 2 bigger ones. I don't envision a meal where I would have 6 small burners going and something on the big one. But I can imagine a meal when I need 2 big burners.....oh you just answered my question!!!!! Thank you!!!!

For Passover, I have a 20-Qt stock pot that I make the chicken soup in. Of course the matzoh balls have to be made separately. In ends up being a 2-3 day cooking effort on my current 4 burner range. Oh to be able to bring 2 big pots of water to boil at the same time....what a luxury!!!!

And if I'm not mistaken, the traditional plate is flat--so if wasn't on, wouldn't you actually be able to move hot pots to that area of the stove?

• ihdecosta
    11 years ago

Ok, all, I'm plunging in.

We are about to embark on a major kitchen remodel, including an extension so I can finally get enough space to work when we have the whole family here. I cook for either 2-3 or 10-20 on a regular basis. When the family is gathered, there are often 3-4 cooks, including my daughter-in-law, baker extraordinaire.
    I've looked at most of what's out there. Can't stand the looks of the "professional-industrial" class like Wolf. I have lived with an Aga cooker in England and loved it, but it doesn't make sense resale-wise for where I live (Chicago area) in a house that I know I won't stay in forever. Same for La Cornue (wouldn't spend that money for a not forever house). Looked at Ilve, but didn't think it was built well enough for the price.
    So Lacanche it seems to be-- has everything I want, and is beautiful as well.
    My question is, Sully or Citeaux? I love the idea of a warming oven and a convection as well as a large gas oven. My concern is that the vertical oven/warming cupboards of the Citeaux are too small to be really useful when I am cooking for the family (the 10-20 scenario, which happens at least twice a month)
    Sully, on the other hand, has two reasonably sized ovens, but no warming cupboard.
    I can't go above 60", so the Sully 1800 and 2200 are out.
    I've read all the comments I can find, and some people love the small ovens, and others chose against them.
    Also, I haven't yet seen any Lacanche, and my kitchen designer doesn't know them, so I can't tell if they are as well built as they should be for the price. (i.e. no loose doors)
    And the usual concerns about repairs-- how do people handle this if there is no dealer in the area?
    Any help at all is appreciated!!!
    Thanks very much

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

Hi all,

We are headed to Art Culinaire next weekend to look at ranges. We are in lust over these ranges. Seriously ready to purchase a Sully 2200 (over original plan of a 60" Bluestar). We want the lava rock grill. Anyone have it? Performance? Issues other than ventilation which we have already considered.

We would add the lava grill, french simmer plate and plancha in addition to the standard burners.

Thanks!!

Michelle

• chef-marty
    11 years ago

Hi Michelle,

I have a removable plancha and I use it FAR more than I thought. I cook everything on it. I love having it.

It is a pain in the neck to clean completely but it is cast iron and most of the time a good wiping is all it needs. If I gridle fish on it or if I want to do pancakes after doing burgers, it needs a full clean. Since yours would not be removable, how do they recomend cleaning it?

Marty

• domenicacooks
    11 years ago

Hello,
    I am new to this thread but as I am close to putting in an order for a Lacanche range, I thought I might seek some advice from this knowledgeable group. The model I am looking at is the Savigny, which is a suitable size for my kitchen. The other option is the Chambertin, which has the vertical warming cupboard rather than the vertical electric oven. I'm wondering what people's experience has been with the vertical oven. Is it too small? Do you use it? Also, for the larger oven I'm wondering whether to go with gas or electric. If it helps any, I write cookbooks for a living so I need to be able to create recipes for the home cook.

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

We just retured from a weekend in Seattle where we spent several hours at Art Culinaire looking at the ranges, trying different cookware, baked a batch of cookies in a Cluny (with the included pastry sheet) and made a pan of simple scrambled eggs.

We initially thought we wanted an integrated plancha however It is not a griddle like Bluestar and CC have on their ranges rather a "searing" plate where little or no additional fat would be used (according to Abby at AC). I could not imagine using it to make breakfast - bacon, eggs or pancakes. There is no deep groove around the sides to collect drippings and we felt it would be a PITA to clean. We decided a removable plancha/griddle would be more functional for us, realizing YMMV. And yes....Chef Marty, it is HEAVY. We did like how it had grooves on the back side to fit firmly on the grates and a deep channel for drippings.

The vertical oven is cool but very small due to the convection always on-fan in the back which reduces the depth and functionality. It is smaller than the warming cupboard which was larger than we anticipated. A small roaster does fit inside the warming cupboard and could be used for slow, low heat roasting (max 230). A small roaster will not fit in the vertical oven.

The ranges are beautiful and appeared to be very well made - heavy and not at all tinny. We met the service tech who inspects and calibrates each range before shipping to the final destination. We were able to see the various colors and trim including a full stainless steel Sully and a red Citeaux awaiting calibration before making the final journey to the lucky new owners. We have no doubt that service from AC would be fantastic should it be needed down the road.

All in all, a very productive trip. We felt the Sully ovens would be a better fit for us and now have to decide if we want two gas or one gas/one electric oven. We will be adding the flame chargrill and French simmer plate to a Sully 1800 matte black with chrome trim.

Cheers,

M

• flevy
    11 years ago

I really must make a decision to order soon :). As I was talking with the Kitchen Designer today, it dawned on me that I really want the bigger ovens of the Sully but the width of the Cluny 1400.

So my question is....are the warming cabinets really worth it? I have the wall space to do a Sully 1800 but then I have to jump into custom hood territory since the semi custom hood only goes to 63".

For those of you that have the warming cupbards...how often to you use them?

• chef-marty
    11 years ago

Hi flevy,

I use mine a lot! Slow cooking, warming plates for dinner, holding prepared dishes. But you have to think about YOUR style of cooking. I also needed the larger oven and I opted for the one big oven and the warmer and I am not sorry. I have a second wall oven with rotiserie and I am happy.

M.

• flevy
    11 years ago

Chef-Marty

Can you tell me what model you went with? I'm also getting an Advantium wall oven so you present an interesting idea.

• chef-marty
    11 years ago

Hi flevy,

I have a vougeot in marron glace.

Marty

• flevy
    11 years ago

Chef Marty

Wow! what a beautiful kitchen. I'm not sure what I love more, the ceilings, the Lacanche, the tile, or the wood cabinet. I want to call it a sideboard, but I don't think that's right.

thank you for sharing. It's just stunning!

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

Beautiful range and kitchen!

• chef-marty
    11 years ago

Thank you for the comments everyone,

The kitchen is in a restored trullo in Puglia, Italy. It is my vacation home and I only get around 5-6 weeks there. The rest of the time I rent it out so that I can afford it! I was always in love with France and I learned classic French cusine first but the weather and incredible produce (and affordable prices) lured me to Italy. The Lacanche keeps me in touch with my roots. I'm a renter in NYC so no Lacanche for me here in the U.S.

I do a catering job for Paulina Porzikova and Ric Ocasek from the Cars every Christmas and they have a dark blue Sully in their townhouse kitchen. Wolf seems very popular since I see many of them in homes when I am on a job.

Here is another picture and a link to our web site.

Marty

Here is a link that might be useful: Trullo San Raffaele

• flevy
    11 years ago

Can you change out the hobs in the Lacanche? What if you buy it with the Plancha and decide later you want the grill? Is that even possible?

• flevy
    11 years ago

Well it's done! I ordered the Changy 1400 in black with stainless trim. I'm so excited. I can't wait until the range is here!!!

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

Congratulations Flevy! I recently ordered your stove's fraternal twin. Mine is also a black Chagny 1400, but with brass trim. Maybe our deliveries will coincide. I was bound and determined to get the red, but became convinced it would clash with some other finishes I was committed to. I'm still feeling pangs of regret.

• flevy
    11 years ago

Nutherokie--- how fun to have a delivery mate! I wanted the red or even one of the blues, but in the end, the neutral black won out. Like you, I was afraid that a color would clash with the other finishes. The range is actually my first purchase for the kitchen so I'm not sure what the color would have clashed with in reality.

Havebyoubgotten your confirmation email yet? What are you doing for a hood? I'm really struggling with mine.

• pirula
    11 years ago

Yay!! Welcome to the "family." You'll be delighted.

Joebolt, if you're here, I saw you post on another thread that you can get all of your Lacanche clean with no problem. I can too with one exception. My brass burner plates are very, um, loved. Could you please tell me how you clean yours? I think I've tried everything. Thanks!

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Flevy,

I'm afraid I kind of knuckled under with the hood. I've got a big mantel style hood with a locally-made insert. The blower is (if I recall correctly) 600 cfm. It's a rather short, straight run out the roof, so I shouldn't loose much power that way. We also have a new, tight build with foam insulation, and we wanted to avoid makeup air, if possible. The local guys and my husband insisted I was worrying way too much about ventilation and I just got tired. I figure if it's not enough, I'll deal with it later.

• dianepatterson
    11 years ago

So, the time has come for me to clean the electric oven on my Cluny and...I've never cleaned an oven before. (I've never done this much cooking before!) But every time I use it now there's way too much smoke, so it needs to happen.

I don't know how to do it though -- just use a sponge and water and maybe some Simple Green? Is there a non-toxic oven cleaner I should look into? (I did a search on the web, and several UK customers talked something named "Oven Pride", but I don't think we have that here.)

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

• teruko
    11 years ago

Starting a new thread as I too have been lurking on this forum (only recently) & immensely enjoying the journey of conceptions & deliveries of so many lacanche babies & hoping for the proud photos. Please keep them coming!

Dianepatterson - Did you learn of a non-toxic oven cleaner?

Unable to find the Finished Kitchens Blog & would appreciate help getting there. I am especially interested in seeing clinresga's completed kitchen photos after viewing an old thread w/cinresga's partial remodel. Looks beautiful!

Thanks for any help!

• clinresga
    11 years ago

Ummm....they won't be there. I shot a few photos back when we had just finished the kitchen, got frustrated with the poor composition, and never posted. Then of course the years pass, life stays crazy etc etc. But maybe this will motivate me to find a better camera lens and try again.

• teruko
    11 years ago

clinresga - from the little I saw, your colors are similar to what I'd like for my kitchen remodel. We may begin as early as Oct & expect 6-8 mos to completion so never too early to order the Lacanche. I prefer white, ivory or black but DH wants a bold color. Still in design process so not sure which model to order.

We have a 25-yr-old Thermador gas cooktop, & it is a pain to cook boiled rice on it (my fav). Victoria at AC has invited me to cook my rice on one of the showroom ranges, and I should since I live nearby. Hope you are enjoying your LC.

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Terzen,

I've tried several times to attach a link to the Finished Kitchens Blog for you. Something about that darn skin care pop-up keeps crashing my browser. Anyway, trying again!

The kitchens are listed alphabetically. You can also use the categories function to find some of the Lacanche kitchens. Sadly, they're not all listed under Lacanche. Check out Prettykitty's black Sully kitchen. It's one of my favorites.

I'm awaiting my black Chagny 1400. It's due October 1st.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens Blog

• teruko
    11 years ago

Nutherokie, thank you for the Finished Kitchens blog! Prettykitty's kitchen (& home) are stunning. Door & cabinet hardware is exquisite. Are you planning on a similar stainless hood & backsplash? The SS really makes the black Sully pop. I was thinking of an arch over my range but the SS in Prettykitty's kitchen has me rethinking...too many choices!

• dianepatterson
    11 years ago

I found lots of stuff on the web about using ammonia to clean the oven -- put a bowl or pot of ammonia into a heated (though currently off) oven, leave it overnight, and in the morning simply wipe all the crud out. I did use this trick for the oven shelves -- put the shelves in a black trash bag with a cup of ammonia and leave overnight, then rinse them clean in the morning.The oven shelves looked like *new* when I took them out and washed them off. I have no doubt ammonia would have worked like a charm in the oven as well, except that after 15 minutes I was sure that we were all going to be asphyxiated in the night by the ammonia fumes, so I took the bowl out.

What I ended up using was basically baking soda and vinegar and water, mixed together. Yes, you get a fizzy mess when the baking soda and vinegar mix. Once that cooled down, I coated the entire inside of the oven with the goop, as much as I possibly could. I let it stand over night. The next morning, using a sponge (frequently washed out), I wiped out the entire inside of the oven. That oven looked pretty damn good after that. Yes, elbow grease was involved, but it smelled okay (and it was immediately obvious where I hadn't wiped, because it still had white streaks).

In the future: I'm going to try to get on top of spills/messes earlier (I bought a mat for the bottom of the oven now), and I'm going to use the baking soda/vinegar trick. If you want things to be really easy and you don't mind a strong smell, the ammonia is amazing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baking soda and vinegar

• flevy
    11 years ago

I've received notification that my kitchen cabinets are shipping on Oct 5. Now if my Changy 1400 would only ship a bit sooner. It's not expected to ship until Nov 5. A whole month later. I called and asked if there is any way to move up the ship date but I haven't heard back from Christa yet. The range is the last piece that needs to be in for us to move into the house. I'm ready to move in and be settled already.

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Flevy! I'm in a similar situation. My Chagny 1400 should be arriving the second week in October. It's the last major piece missing from our new build. I'm feeling like a kid at Christmas.

I hope you have luck with hastening your delivery.

• flevy
    11 years ago

nutherokie---when's your range coming????

• nutherokie_gw
    11 years ago

Greetings, Flevy!

I received a call from the transport company telling mr my range is in town. We're still trying to work out the delivery date. We were aiming for Monday but I don't think it's going to work with our schedule. I'm dying to see it.

I'll post her baby pic once we get her in the door.

Thanks for thinking of us. Do you have an arrival date yet?

• chris11895
    11 years ago

I just returned from the Lacanche showroom in NYC and am so excited about the Citeaux! The trip was worth it for me as I hadn't really considered the La Plancha and then after talking with Elisa and seeing it in person I realized it was perfect for the way we cook. The vertical ovens were also larger than I expected. So we'll be getting the Citeaux with the Classique top and La Plancha. Now I just need to decide between the black, or a color like frangipane or anthracite.

• Beth
    6 years ago

Any new Lacanche owners here? I'm trying to determine who the best contact is to order my range through here in the states?

• PRO
    THE FRENCH BARN - Lacanche Canada
    6 years ago

Hello Beth,

Art Culinaire (www.frenchranges.com) is the exclusive distributor for Lacanche in the USA. I'm sure Elisa or Victoria would be delighted to assist!

Patrick

• PRO
    Lacanche USA
    6 years ago

Bonjour Beth ! I believe we've connected, and you've chatted with Victoria, but let us know if we can help at all. Have a beautiful weekend !