Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nadinealready

Will this "true counter depth" Liebherr fridge fit?

nadinealready
9 years ago

Hello,
I am interested in the Liebherr freestanding 36" model # CBS2062

I understand that this fridge is "true counterdepth" and has zero clearance hinges. I need to know if it can be placed like so:
In between a wall which is on the left and is exactly 24" deep and a wall oven on the right. (which will be installed flush with the cabinetry)

The photo below is not my kitchen (I can't take a pic as I'm out of the country) but this is exactly like my setup.

The planning guide is linked below. It says "Please allow for door swing clearance at locations next to a wall of 13 9/16" "
Can someone tell me what this means? I don't understand how to figure out if this fridge will fit in my setup.
I also would like to know if the unit will be at exactly 24" deep and therefore only the handles will be sticking beyond my wall and adjacent cabinetry?

I really appreciate any knowledge. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Planning guides for Liebherr fridge

Comments (7)

• maxmillion_gw
    9 years ago

From what I remember at the showroom, the Liebherr fridge was one of the only truly counter depth fridges that will fit flush in a 24" deep cavity. I think it was the only one at the time I looked.

I think (but am not sure, hopefully someone else can verify!) the 13 9/16" means you need to be able to swing the door open that much beyond 90 degrees in order to re-position racks and open drawers. You don't want to position the fridge next to a perpendicular wall. This was unlike some of the other fridges I looked at. For example, I believe the Miele is designed so that you can open all drawers and re-position racks even when the door is open only 90 degrees because the door hinges open and extend away from the body of the fridge, leaving enough space to do so. The Liebherr's hinges do not extend like that.

I think it will work in your set-up unless the ovens protrude and potentially block the swing of your fridge door. I went through the trouble of checking the depth of my fridge (went with Liebherr, not installed yet), but realized later that the ovens I chose (Miele) are not true counter depth and had to allow for extra space behind my wall pantries and fridge anyway in order to have the ovens be truly flush.

Hope that helps!

• nadinealready
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much maxmillion for your help!

I actually thought the Liebherr did have the same type of hinges as the Miele, so it's good to know that's not the case. Now I understand what the clearance issue is - because they are not actually "zero clearance" hinges like I had thought they were. hmmm.

But, it has SOME sort of special hinge that allows it to be fully recessed into the cavity, right? As opposed to a regular counter-depth fridge where you MUST have the doors be sitting proud of the cabinetry otherwise they couldn't open at all.

I just want to make sure that when it's closed, it actually completely flush (except handles of course) but it will still open properly.

• gtadross_gw
    9 years ago

I have that exact model fridge in 36" wide and it is completely flush with the cabinetry. Even though it's not a "built in," it has that look to it.

• maxmillion_gw
    9 years ago

Sorry, I may have confused the situation. The Liebherr is completely flush, and the hinges do extend just not as much. Actually, it might have been Gaggenau instead of Miele that had super extending hinges. I just mentioned the comparison because the Liebherr requires a little bit more space for the door to swing open in order to access all the drawers and to reposition racks.

Here is a photo of a Liebherr fridge (stolen from another GW member!). You can see how the door shelves block the interior shelves and drawers when the doors are open at this angle. You need more swing space to open the doors farther in order to access the drawers.

The super extending hinges pull the door so far from the body that everything is accessible at 90 degrees. However, I don't think any of those models are true counter depth.

Depending on what wall ovens you have, how close they are to the fridge, and how much the handles protrude, it's possible they would block the swing of your fridge doors. Just pointing out one more thing to consider. The answer for your original question is yes it is flush with zero clearance!

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

DamaskDi -- I owned a 30" Liebherr refrigerator with bottom freezer that was enclosed in a partition against a wall. The space had less clearance on one side than your space.

The fridge has 0 clearance doors and opened against the wall.

However, to be absolutely sure you want to check the specification sheet for the refrigerator. That will give you accurate information -- the information you need, not inaccurate speculation.

I've linked the Design Guide below. Look for the model number.

The fridge depth is 24-1/4. For semi-built in it will need some clearance at the top for ventilation -- they will tell you how much to leave but as I recall it is a minimum of 2 or 3 inches.

If you have any doubts, call the company and ask. In any event I would call and ask them about installing a refrigerator next to ovens (usually not recommended but often seen) and be sure it is done properly.

Check the location needed for the plug and the ice maker as well.

There is a note about door clearance which will be needed to open the crispers inside. The doors have a 145 degree swing.

Do yourself a favor and use the spec sheet -- there are other design guides as well. I would always call the company to verify those and be sure nothing has changed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liebherr Design Guide

• nadinealready
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all SO much for your knowledge. This has helped me tremendously.

I tried to get to the Design Guide which Rococogurl linked to, but it seems it's not available due to an error message. I will try contacting them to get it.

I did read the installation guide and it says the CBS 2062 (which is the freestanding 36") doesn't need to vent into any of the cabinetry and that just the grill at the bottom is sufficient for venting. So, that's good news!

Thank you all again for being so generous with your help!

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

the link just worked for me, you might try it again.

the design guide is on the liebherr website on a black bar above the description of the refrigerator. thats where the link leads.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Fri, Oct 31, 14 at 8:03