Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alwaysworking_gw

Induction Cookware

alwaysworking
17 years ago

Any recommendations for good cookware for an induction cooktop? I have just ordered the New Thermador 36" induction. a lot of my current (non-magnetic) pots will need to be replaced. I do have some All-Clad but I have found (especially on my large skillet) it is not well suited for my current electric flat top as the bottom is not flat enough and it spins. So... If I am going to replace cookware I thought I would ask for suggestions. Especially suggestions that won't break the bank. My kitchen remodel is doing a good job of doing that already :)

Comments (56)

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

FYI- pots with discs on the bottom won't be induction-capable.

• kimba00
    17 years ago

pecanpie,

I'm not sure what you're referring to in your post above since the Tramontina pots that I own (including my new stock pot in link above) all have disc bottoms and perform beautifully on my induction cooktop. In fact, they all specifically are made for induction cookers and state so. Could you explain?

• osxaddict
    17 years ago

We had to buy All-Clad Stainless Steel pans+pots.. They work great, but were big $$.

• kimba00
    17 years ago

I have both All-Clad, Le Creuset and Tramontina and I have to say in regards to stock pots, I don't see a big difference between any of them. In fact, I love the Tramontina pots because of the tight fitting glass lids and lock in drains. I purchased a few loose pieces from TJ Max/Home Goods, but now I see Smartbargains.com has a set of the same pots for $80. These work beautifully on induction (read line #6 in the features in ad below), pans heat evenly, handles stay cool. I would've purchased these immediately if I hadn't already bought individuals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smart Bargains Tramontina Set

• tobszanski
    17 years ago

Target sells a 10-piece Kitchen Aid set of Stainless Steel that is induction capable. I bought the set when I got my first induction hob (a Sunpentown), along with two extra non-stick skillets that work wonderfully. I also use some Lodge cast iron. They also work wonderfully with the Cooktek single burner induction cooktop as well.

• elbe
    17 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has purchased any of the Cooke line that I have seen in JC Penney. Also wonder about the pans with the real shiny finish versus the more brushed look. Do the shiny ones scratch easily when washed? Thanks for all the info. How do you like the Thermador? Mine is in the box waiting to be installed and I am a little nervous! THanks....
    Elbe

• berob
    17 years ago

I second the Kitchen Aid set. Works great and #1 in Consumer Reports. No need to overpay.

• fenworth
    17 years ago

Any induction capable roasting pans? All-Clad's are not.

• cpovey
    17 years ago

Here is an official letter from All-Clad concerning which pieces of their Stainless line are NOT induction capable.

"I apologize for the difference in information. Yes, All-Clad Stainless
    Steel is in fact well-suited for use on induction type stoves. We are one
    of the few cookware companies (if not the only American cookware company) to
    use two different grades of stainless steel (18/10 inside, 18/0 outside) for
    the purpose of being induction compatible. There are a few pieces that we
    are not able to manufacture using the 18/0 so that they are not compatible.
    Those include:

Item Number Description

#5014 Petite Roti Pan
    #5015 French Oven w/Rack
    #5016 Roti Pan
    #5200.5 1/2Qt. Butter Warmer
    #5507 7Qt. Stock Pot
    #5612 Oval Skillet
    #5801 Tea Kettle
    #5807 Pasta Pentola (uses 7Qt. Stock Pot)
    #5812 Oval Au Gratin
    #59905 Asparagus Pot
    #59912 12Qt. Multi Cooker
    #59916 16Qt. Stock Pot
    #59920 20Qt. Stock Pot
    #59924 24Qt. Stock Pot
    #59913 Fondue Pot "

Listed below is the site of the All-Clad 'seconds' factory outlet. All of my All-clad, except one fry pan, came from here. Get on their mailing list, as they have sales about twice a year. In additon, every fall (I think) the factory in Pennsylvania has a sale with seconds as well, at even beter (I am told) prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: All-Clad seconds outlet

• mtrot
    17 years ago

Hey, what about a 5qt induction capable saute pan? Really hard to find. All-Clad has 4qt and 6qt, but the 6 is really wide, over 13 inches which means it will overhang the 10" burner on our Kenmore induction cooktop by about 1.5 inches all around. We already have a 3qt saute pan that is almost as wide as the 4qt.

Or, does anybody think the 13.5" saute pan will work OK on the 10" burner?

• phatcat
    17 years ago

Costco has a beautiful set of stainless cookware for $200 having a five ply disk bottom with a copper sandwich. I use this set on my Viking induction with great results.

• kimba00
    17 years ago

I've been reading this thread and I feel compelled to put in my .02.

I've been cooking on induction for almost 2 years and I have been using Tivoli (stainless), Tramontina (stainless), and All Clad (stainless pans), as well as Le Creuset, some French steel pans, and old cast iron fry pans. In these two years I have come to find that the cast iron & Le Creuset (enameled iron) as well as the Le Creuset enameled steel stock pots continue to outperform any and all of the stainless pots and pans I've been using including the All Clad. Both Tivoli and Tramontina pans I purchased are ferrous, and stated that they were made for induction cooktops however, the Le Creuset enameled steel and enameled cast iron seem to be quieter, and produce an even heat including the sides which is, IMHO very important with induction, especially with a sauté pan. I have been replacing the stainless stock pots I purchased with the Le Creuset seconds enameled steel stock pots one at a time. Not only do the Le Creuset perform better, I personally find they are easier to clean then shiny stainless which shows everything. As long as you never scrub the enameled surface of the Le Creuset nothing sticks to the interior, and there's no rivets on the interior of the pot to hold food grubbies. Another issue for me was that I have a copper farm sink which is getting a beautiful patina on it and I don't like to use Bar Keepers friend on my stainless pots since it washes the patina off my sink. I do find the All Clad has a nicer interior finish then the less expensive stainless, however, again the Le Creuset performance is superior to any and all.

As far as a sauté pan, Le Creuset makes a 12" and I adore this pan. It's by far the most used pan in my kitchen.

The downside to the Le Creuset enameled cast iron is it's heavy, but that's not a problem for me...yet. The Le Creuset enameled steel stock pots are not any heavier then the stainless versions.

• kimba00
    17 years ago

My point is, I don't believe one should go out and buy a complete set of any one type of cookware. If you cook seriously, you will want different pans for different purposes. Lightweight stainless is good for boiling water, steaming veggies but you will want some heavier pots and pans for slow cooking, braising, melting chocolate or cheese, etc. Stainless fry pans (to me) are a complete waste because everything sticks to them. A well seasoned spun cast iron fry pan with be the best tool in your kitchen. I'm not a big fan of Lodge because of it's texture which I believe hinders a good slick seasoning. The bottoms of my old Griswold fry pans look like black glass.

• fenworth
    17 years ago

"everything sticks to them"

Kimba - Is this something you've noticed since switching to induction? Just wondering because I don't have problems with food sticking to my All-Clad skillets.

• kimba00
    17 years ago

Fenworth,

No, I don't believe it has anything to do with induction, since I noticed the sticking when I had gas.

I think it depends on how much fat is in the pan, and I do see my All Clad sauce pans have a nicer, finer interior which could explain better non-stick capabilities.

• liz_h
    17 years ago

With stainless skillets, it's important that oil and pan both be hot enough before food is added. The oil should be shimmery and moving just a bit. Large pieces of food (chicken breasts, pork chops, etc.)shouldn't be moved for about 2 minutes after adding to the pan.

I generally use very little oil, just enough to coat the bottom, and love my All-Clad skillets.

• liz_h
    17 years ago

I'll be checking out my All-Clad and cast iron pots and pans on the induction cooktop for awhile before I decide on any new cookware. Frankly, the All-Clad is heavy enough. I don't relish the thought of using cast iron.

The Calphalon I got rid of wasn't my best cookware, but I could lift it out of the cupboard!

• garycook
    17 years ago

I recently came across a line of cookware from De Buyer under the name of World Cuisine. These pans are sold as "carbone plus" and are french style lyon style pans. They are high carbon steel 3mm pans with cast iron handles(same style seen on copper pans)and are very heavy.

The pans are well made and finished and have a lifetime warranty. I initially ordered 2 pans, a 14 and 12.5 inch and the shipping weight was 17 pounds. I have no doubt they will outlive me. I was a little surprised that they are made in China though you would never guess except for the price. I priced a Demeyere 12 inch SS pan and I realise that we are talking apples and oranges here for the price of 1 I got 4 pans with about 80 bucks leftover.

The pans work great on my Viking induction. They brown meats wonderfully and exhibit no hot spots. The bottom of the pans are very smooth which is a concern with any glass top.

I think they are a great alternative to cast iron. There care requried is exactly like cast iron, they need to be seasoned and cleaned with water only.

If you look on the cookware forum there is a post of mine about a week old with other info.

{{gwi:1475123}}

• sshrivastava
    17 years ago

Does anyone know of a briki or ibrik that I can use to prepare authentic Turkish / Greek / Bedouin coffee on my induction cooktop? All ibriks that I could find are made of copper or brass, neither of which is ferrous.

Anyone?

• kimba00
    17 years ago

sshrivastava,

How about if you used a magnetic plate or griddle between your ibrik and the hob?

• minikit
    17 years ago

Sshrivastava,

I don't believe there's an induction-ready ibriq yet, but, given the simplicity of this coffee-making process (boil the h*** out of it), I would imagine that any small pot with a magnetic base, long handle, and pour spout would do the job.

How about a little try-ply saucepan? That would kill any romance involved in the coffee-pouring ceremony, so just transfer the coffee into an ibriq for serving. Voila!

• sienne_c
    17 years ago

Prior to signing on to this forum, I was reading on the Induction Site's webpage. They have considerable information about cookware along with links to various reviews. The link to their site is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Induction site cookware link

• donna_ttv
    17 years ago

I have 2 questions

1) The Saladmaster cookware works well on induction, but is VERY expensive. Does anyone think it is worth the $$$?

2)Does anyone have experience using Silit enamel cookware on induction? See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silit cookware

• pammo
    17 years ago

I came across Demeyere one day while doing a search. I have no experience with it, and am a pretty happy camper with my LeCreuset. Still, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone out there who's used it.

Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: Demeyere Induction Cookware

• leesuh13
    17 years ago

pammo,
    Can you put LeCreuset in the dishwasher? My Calphalon skillet is not dishwasher safe- I hate that!
    What about all the All-Clad that everyone is talking about?

• kimkajg
    17 years ago

I purchased new cookware 6 years ago in anticipation of a kitchen renovation including installation of an induction cooktop. While the renovation is only happening right now, I've been using the cookware on an old electric coil cooktop ever since I purchased it. I chose the Belgian line Demeyere, purchased from www.cookswares.com, and I absolutely love it. A Cooks Wares has nice discussions about different pans on their website, but two things sold me on Demeyere: first, the fact that it is the standard pan used for induction development testing, and second, the Apollo line has a special stainless steel finish that is made to be washed in the dishwasher. If you are looking for show pieces, these would not be the pans for you, but if you are looking for excellent pans that clean without excessive manual labor and set the industry standard in induction pans, these would be perfect. I love the fact that I no longer have old burned grease discolorations on the bottoms and sides. I love the even cooking due to perfect heat distribution, plus they go in the oven. Check them out!

Here is a link that might be useful: A Cooks Wares

• solarpowered
    17 years ago

I use Demeyere Atlantis cookware. It's really great! I love the way the Silvinox finish cleans up. It's designed to go in the dishwasher, which I really like. The copper disk bottoms spread the heat out really well--instead of getting a simmer in one place like my other cookware, you get a diffuse simmer all over the pan. (They are genuine copper bottoms--2mm of copper--but encapsulated in stainless steel so you don't have to worry about keeping them clean.) I also really like that there are no rivets for food to get trapped around. The construction is really solid--for example, the lids don't really feel like formed sheet steel, but more like cast iron (well, not quite that heavy, but they really don't feel like sheet metal); these pans should last for a long time.

Kimkaig expressed that the pieces in the Apollo line aren't "show pieces", which I agree with (that line is targeted for commercial kitchens); the Atlantis line on the other hand is quite nice-looking.

• liz_h
    17 years ago

I love my All Clad and put it in the dishwasher all the time. A friend who helped me unpack the kitchen thought it was all new - not 6 years old.

All-Clad is pricey. All of mine are seconds, but are life time warranted, just like first quality pans. I have to really look hard to find the surface blemishes - i.e. twist the pan to catch the light just right.

Here is a link that might be useful: all-clad outlet

• mcassel
    17 years ago

So, I although I only have a foundation for a house so far, I have picked out my DD induction cook-top and now I am looking for cookware. I have read through this thread and people talking about some very expensive cookware and I had a couple of questions.

From my understanding induction works by a magnetic field exciting the metal in a steel/iron surface. So then why are multilayer pans a benefit? I would have thought the more layers the slower the response time for the heat because the steel has to get hot then heat all the other layers... I understand for a gas cook-top where the heat is not so evenly distributed these multilayer pans would be a benefit because they help to distribute the heat but for induction I would have thought a single layer iron/steel pan would be best because the magnetic field is even from the cook-top.

• User
    17 years ago

The induction capable steel on the bottom heats. The middle layers are highly heat-conductive and in a good pan will go up the sides as well. This provides more even heating to the pan as a whole, which is important in those instances where you have a pan that is larger than the induction element size. Although induction is fairly even on the bottom of the pan, generally better than other heating methods, it's not quite solid everywhere and the extra layer of conductive material evens everything out.

• mcassel
    17 years ago

Alice,

That makes sense. Let me ask you guys a questions, I have a friend who works for a restaurant supply store and can get some brands at wholesale. Unfortunately most of the brands talked about here are not offered through his company. Do any of these brands ring a bell as good manufactures?

Admiral Craft - Adcraft
    Carlisle Food Service Products
    Crestware
    Franklin Machine Products
    Regalware
    Vollrath
    Alegacy Foodservices Products
    Johnson-Rose Corp.
    Cooktek, Inc
    Matfer
    Spring USA
    Dinex International
    Raven Range
    Browne-Halco

His company sells Lodge and Le Creuset which I have seen recomended here so I think I am good for the Iron cookware... but they also have Cast Iron by:
    Lodge
    Alegacy
    Camp Chef
    Le Creuset Of America Inc

• chckandco
    17 years ago

The Cooks Essentials II line from QVC is definitely induction capable! I wrote to this thread some onths ago and said that my older set was, but that I didn't know whether the new line was. Well I ordered several more open stock pieces in the CE II line and it is just as compatible as the older ones. The line is a nice heavy but not prohibitve weight and is non stick, metal utensil safe, with heavy glass lids. Couple that with a very nice price on sets and pieces, and it's marvelous. I'm certain that ther are those who will go the high priced lines snob appeal but this is great stuff and I am delighted with it! Check it out for yourself. QVC.com

• mcassel
    17 years ago

can cookware with glass lids go be used in the oven, kind of like a casserole dish?

• chckandco
    17 years ago

Supposed to be ok up to 350... according to them. I don't use them in that way.

• redforever
    16 years ago

In regards to the person who was asking about the following brand names of commercial cookware.

Admiral Craft - Adcraft
    Carlisle Food Service Products
    Crestware
    Franklin Machine Products
    Regalware
    Vollrath
    Alegacy Foodservices Products
    Johnson-Rose Corp.
    Cooktek, Inc
    Matfer
    Spring USA
    Dinex International
    Raven Range
    Browne-Halco

I have Vollrath woks, the commercial non stick ones, you can also buy them with a regular cooking surface if you dont want the non stick. You can buy domed lids separately. Works very well and has silicone on the handle so it does not get hot. I looked at their other cookware and the one thing that I did not like was most of their lids are very flimsy and cheap.

I also have Browne-Halco stock pots, again, they work very well. I also have 3 non stick fry pans made by Browne-Halco, again, you can also buy them with a regular cooking surface if you are not into non stick. Very good weight to them, very nice flat surface for an induction cooktop. Browne-Halco have a full line of cookware and I would buy it over Vollrath.

Usually if you go to restaurant suppy companies, you will get a very good product at a much lower price. The only thing you will find is you will not have a very good selection of pots in the very small size range.

I have also had Lagostina cookware for years. I used it before with electric coil, now use it on my induction. All of their cookware is induction compatible so I never had to get new pots and pans.

I live in Canada, we have IKEA stores here, I am not sure about the USA. Just about all of their cookware is induction compatible, although only their top line will compare to most of the big names that make cookware. But they are cheap and depending on what you want, they will certainly meet some needs. They also carry a line very similar to Le Creuset but at a cheaper cost. If it is as good, I do not know. I like the feel of the cooking surfaces, but I do not wish to handle something this heavy on a daily basis. That would be the main disadvantage for me.

All of my cookware goes into the dishwasher except for my wok and 3 fry pans that have the non stick surfaces.

• sienne_c
    16 years ago

My kitchen renovation is about to start. As I was going through my cookware, some of the pieces I thought I wouldn't have to replace, I in fact do need to do so. That said, I started researching cookware, especially since I didn't want to pay big bucks for a stockpot.

In addition to some of the brands already mentioned (Le Creuset, Demeyere, All-Clad, and anything cast iron), Sitram has certain of its lines which are induction friendly, and two brands from France, Miu and the Bourgeat Excellence line from Bourgeat Mauviel are also compatible.

• margareta_mi
    16 years ago

Le Creuset is coming out with induction capable stainless cookware. I haven't tried it but it is a triply like some of the others. Handles look comfortable but I don't like the helper loop on the 2 quart saucepan. It isn't needed and it takes more room to store.

• eleeny
    16 years ago

I was at the Thermador/Gaggenau Showroom recently and met their corporate chef. I asked him just this question. His opinion was that All-Clad, while popular, is not his brand of choice. Demeyere probably makes the highest quality of cookware available for induction cooktops, but they do cost an arm and a leg. His recommendation for best value is the Sitram Magnum line, which is made with induction in mind. This is all FWIW, since I haven't tried any of the above personally yet. (We're still trying to decide which brand of induction cooktop we're going to buy!)

As far as woks, he commented that the gorgeous shiny Demeyere wok that was on display (and cost several hundred bucks) is probably overkill for most people. His words were, "Just go to Chinatown and find a cheap steel wok for $10 or so. They'll work great on your induction cooktop!" Apparently, a round bottom wok is perfectly fine, as he explained to me. You'll need to find a pretty shallow wok ring. The wok does NOT have to come into direct contact with the cooktop, but should be very close to it.

• kailleanm
    16 years ago

Ikea makes a line of induction friendly steel cookware as well, for those seeking a more budget-minded alternative. They're pretty stylish.

I have some non-induction Ikea stainless cookware and it's great.

• weedmeister
    16 years ago

Circulon has a new line of induction compatable non-stick that I saw at BB&B. I bought a small skillet. It has a steel plate on the bottom of an otherwise aluminum and coated pan. It seems to work pretty well and not as pricey as the AllClad that was next to it.

• klaa2
    16 years ago

Demeyere is tops.

• chckandco
    16 years ago

I shall post once more, with all the conviction that I can muster. I respectfully defer to the love that you all have for the high end pots and pans of the world. More power to you. However, I must fervently still stand behind my endorsement of the poor man's line of induction capable cookware that delivers everything you could want at an unbelievable price. That is the Cooks Essential regular stainless steel with Dupont Scratchguard from QVC. I have a set of the older and quite a few extra saucepans in various sizes of the newer ones, and all all as great as you would want. They are non stick insides (that DO NOT flake and last incredible well) , induction capable and VERY inexpensive, and guaranteed returnable if you don't like it within 30 days or if defective, forever. What more could one want? Check out QVC.com
    Or spend more than you need to.

• moose_2007
    16 years ago

I am seriously considering getting an induction unit, so when I read 'redforever's posting that I could continue to use all my Lagostina cookware that I have purchased over the years from the Bay, I was so happy. I ran upstairs and got a magnet and gave them the magnet test. AArgh!! No sticky! The huge Lagostina stock pot that I bought at Costco however, does stick. Yay!! So no, not all Lagostina cookware is induction compatible(if the magnet test is the criteria). Good thing I have a couple of cast iron pans(love those puppies).

• eleeny
    16 years ago

According to that Thermador chef (mentioned in my previous post), the magnet test is not the sole criteria. He said that sometimes a pan will work fine on the induction cooktop but fail the magnet test...

Can anyone confirm if he is indeed correct or not?

• weedmeister
    16 years ago

a layered pan might do that. But I would be leery of buying a pan that failed the magnet test.

• Fori
    16 years ago

I have a few of the Ikea SS pans and they work fine but they are NOISY. I didn't think my cooktop clicked until I used these things. Cast iron and enameled iron are silent. My best piece for induction is a WagnerWare "Drip Drop" Roaster. Cast iron, completely flat bottom, perfectly fitting lid, and smooth as silk inside. And oven proof of course. If you need something the size of a large chicken, it's worth locating one. It feels good to put an 80+ year old pot on a newfangled device.

• rockyperko
    16 years ago

We put a 36" Thermador induction cooktop in during our remodel. I have several pieces of LeCreuset - some of my pieces were a gift from my sea captain great uncle to my grandmother when he returned from a voyage to France over 60 years ago. I bought some other pieces when I lived in Europe during the 90s.

The Le Creuset works wonderfully on induction but we found we wanted a stock pot that heated quicker than our very large Le Creuset cast iron pot.

The Thermador induction unit came with a 7 piece set of Demeyere Apollo which we are really enjoying. The 4 liter stock pot fills a need in our kitchen and we also love the 11 inch skillet. We'll probably be purchasing a larger stock pot and the cooktop smoker sometime in the future.

• redforever
    16 years ago

Moose 2007, you must have extremely old cookware, 20 years old or more? The only line that Lagostina ever made that was not induction compatible was the original CLASSIC line. The new Classic line that replaced it is induction compatible as well as any of their other series.

• rockyperko
    16 years ago

Demeyere and Le Creuset for us.

We have quite a bit of Le Creuset. My first pieces were from my grandmother's house. They were given to her over 60 years ago by her sea captain brother who brought them back from a voyage to France. I purchased more Le Creuset when I lived in Europe during the 90s. It performs wonderfully and lasts forever with minimal care.

We put a 36 inch Thermador induction cooktop in during our remodel and got the free Demeyere cookware (Apollo) that came with it. We love it and will be ordering a couple of more pieces in the near future - a larger stock pot and a stove top smoker for DH. The skillet is large capacity and I love the straighter sides. It gets a real workout at our house.

We use the Demeyere and LeCreuset for different things and are very pleased with the performance of both on our induction cooktop.

Our very large Le Creuset pot takes a while to heat water to boiling. I'm no electrical engineer but would guess it it due to the energy required to heat the large mass of cast iron. It works fine for soups, etc where I'm not looking to bring a large quantity of liquid to a boil.

The Demeyere stock pot brings water to boil in an amazingly short period of time and we expect similar performance from the larger one we'll be getting soon.

• oldredwagon_frontier_com
    13 years ago

We've had our Sears Induction cooktop for 3 years now and I absolutely love it. For those who are interested in middle of the road cookware, you can't go wrong with Farberware - I found my saucepans at Ross and they work great.

Another tip for those on a budget, I keep one of those flexible business card magnets in my purse and check a lot of the pans at Goodwill, etc. I found the very best 13 qt. stockpot there, which will be great for canning season.

The reason I found this website is because I was searching for information on Silit frypans. I have a very small one (~6")from my grandmother (probably 30-40 years old), which works very well on my induction cooktop and I'd like a larger one, but the newer ones look different and I was trying to find out if anyone has tried them yet. I might order one of these spendy pans, because I'm tired of heaving around the cast iron pans which you can hardly lift to pour out of.