Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phelansmom

Quiet and Durable Dishwasher for Under $750?

phelansmom
12 years ago

Last decision to make..I was all set to purchase a Bosch thanks to Consumer Reports..but actual people reviews have made me nervous. I have to cap my budget at $750 because this home has never had a dishwasher i.e. additional expenses. Based on actual reviews on multiple websites I am interested in a Maytag Jetclean PLus or a Kenmore Ultimate, but wonder if I missed a brand? We are interested in Stainless and have a Kenmore Elite Double oven gas range and a Kenmore SS French Door Fridge.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/MDB7759AW.html

Comments (10)

• weissman
    12 years ago

Check out KA - many of us on this forum are quite happy with them.

• willtv
    12 years ago

We've had a KA kuds30ivbl for about a year now.
    It's quiet, cleans well and cost us about $600.

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

Look at LG. They give good value for the money, and are especially quiet. They are who made your Kenmore fridge. I would NOT want a Kenmore DW in that price range. They're Whirlpool made, and not that great. For the same money, you can look at a Maytag, (also a Whirlpool company) but it has a beefier pump motor and their innards are better quality. I don't think you can get a Kitchenaide in that price range that will be quiet enough. There's nothing wrong with a Bosch as well, but you'd want to bump up your budget with them to get a better product than their lower cost stuff.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

The Maytag at 55db is not that quiet nor is any dw with a food disposer.

Most problems with Bosch,imo, is related to user error. Not the problems with breakdowns,which happen to all dw'ers but smelly problems and "it does not clean well" problems.

Bosch is the most water and energy efficient dw in it's class. People need to read the manual and follow. German companies assume buyers will do this. Many people use half-load cycles or eco cycles with either too many dishes or dishes that are heavily soiled. Therefore food residue is left on dishes and/or tub. Or people don't use an enzyme based detergent. Follow directions and you will be fine.

Instead of 55db you could get this Bosch at 46db for $739 with free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bosch SHX55RL5UC

• forensicmom
    12 years ago

I have a Kitchen Aid, not sure of the model, but it's a flat front with the controls inside. It's 7 years old now and has NEVER been a quiet dishwasher. Our living room is open to our kitchen and if you runt he dishwasher, you can't hear the TV. I've also had problems with things not cleaning well and parts have broke a few times as well.

I would never buy another KA one again. Sorry I don't have a recommendation for you but wanted to pass along my experience with KA.

• tyguy
    12 years ago

Best DW=miele
    Best bang for the buck=Bosch mid range units.

Its not just CR that rates Bosch high, it is JD Power, most retailers that carry the brand, and most appliance techs that show up here and elewhere on the net usually rate them high. I would however stay away from their economy lines.

• marissa16
    12 years ago

I am also in the market for a dishwasher for a renovation and was considering a whirlpool (I have a quiet partner IV which is older but worked fine and is their last model that doesn't need a filter). But having spoken with others who own Bosch and reading on this forum about Bosch, will be buying the Bosch SHX55RL5UC which is about $800 at most places. I also looked at the Bosch because some filters are trickier than others to remove and clean and this one is very easy. Deeageaux, unfortunately the site you refer to included a $50 rebate by Bosch which expired 9/30/11.

• bernise6
    12 years ago

Unfortunately the Kitchenaids of today are nothing like the Holbart built Kitchenaids of 20 years ago. They are whirlpools with a different label slapped on the front and fail just like the $300 washers do.

For the price you mentioned, I'd probably go with the Bosch and stick with a filter model.

• CWirick
    12 years ago

I loved our Bosch in our last home and will definitely be buying another for our new house. The one we had in our last home ran flawlessly for 7 years.

• lifespeed
    12 years ago

I love our Bosch. It is exceedingly quiet and can clean just about anything without pre-washing.