Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen remodel

Posted by kib96 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 18:45

I have used these forums for years, but now need to post for assistance on our kitchen remodel.

We are taking the kitchen to the studs and replacing all appliances. I've never purchased anything but replacement appliances, so the options are overwhelming to me. Our goal - good functioning appliances, but don't need or want top of the line. I cook a lot, but nothing that i need special equipment.

Here are my priorities: Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

Fridge - Want to spend no more than $1500. Don't want ice and water in the door (we will have an ice maker), stainless - don't have a huge preference on side by side or bottom freezer. Not a big fan of french doors, though.

Double Oven - no idea on brands, I just want it to work correctly. Probably should be in the same suite as fridge since they will be next to each other?

DW - This is important to me, as I can't stand dishes to not be spotless or a noisy dishwasher. Last house we put in a Bosch, and we dealt with a horrible odor if we kept the door sealed. Repair man said that was a common problem? I'd love to have the utility drawer though!

Cooktop - will be gas. Easy to clean, good power - but don't need top of the line. Would like to spend $1k.

Any suggestions for my research will be helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen remodel

I can help with the double oven. Love my Elux non-Icon with Wavetouch. I say this so often on this forum, I feel compelled to attest that I do not work for Elux or any appliance store.

I've had it over a year now. I chose it because it got the best, most consistent recs on this forum for "mid-priced" wall ovens.

Most of us on GW don't worry too much about the appliances matching, we just choose the best value in each category. I didn't get a new fridge or DW and I got induction cooktop, so I can't help with your other decisions.

o

I can attest that Miele dishwashers are quiet; my Optima is hard to even hear.

But it too can develop an odor, and the cause is too much time between running one load and the next; even rinsed dishes drip water that will eventually become polluted in the sump.

A contributory cause seems to be running out of rinse aid. But this is more of a factor in how long one can go without running the dishwasher; the ultimate result of delay will be odor. I don't see odor as escapable in this circumstance and don't see any reason why this cause wouldn't apply to any dishwasher with a sump below the drain hose weir.

kas

o

No odor with our Miele - we use the miele tablets which include a rinse aid.
We run our DW every couple days and don't rinse the dishes when we load them. Generally they come out perfectly clean - occasionally a fork or spoon is not clean due to not being put into the rack correctly.

o

Thank you. I actually asked another question last month, but guess I never posted it. I went back and forth on the DW for a while, but ended up with a Kitchen Aid. Hope we don't have the odor issue like I had with our Bosch at the last house!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here