Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morahamy_gw

Should I swap my kitchenaid imperial dishwasher for a new one?

morahamy
11 years ago

We bought a new house this September. We have a Kitchenaid Imperial by Hobart model KDI-16. It works great but I suspect it's an energy hog. I manually skip the pre-wash and the dry cycles to try to conserve, and it still works great.

Friends are redoing their kitchen and have offered us, for free, their 5 year old whirlpool gold dishwasher. (Not sure the model, could find out.) I can't decide whether I should give up my old dishwasher (which has to be at least 30 years old) or not. Any advice?

Comments (11)

• weissman
    11 years ago

Hobarts are primo DWs. If it still runs, KEEP IT. This is a no brainer.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

It's older than you think ... KA 16 series was produced from 5/1968 through 5/1971.

Heated dry doesn't really take as much power as people believe. Estimate a 1KW (1000-watt) heater running 25 to 30 mins, at 15 cents per KWH that'd be 7.5 cents. $2.25 running a load every day for 30 days. More energy is used by the household water heater for heating the water a dishwasher uses than is consumed by a heated drying period.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

I'm inclined to agree with Weissman.

The old KA may be an "energy hog" but that is a relative term. The amount of electricity you'll save with a new dishwasher may not save you very much money. It might be only $20 or $30 year, and could be even less as you are skipping the pre-wash and dry cycles.

A bigger deal with old versus new dishwashers is more likely to be the amount of water used. Some of the newer DWs are very stingy with water use. As I rather vaguely recall, some of the older DWs from the 60s might use 10 gallons of water per load. I don't know where that Whirlpool sits in the water use standards, but newer DWs may use 5 gallons and some use as little as half of that, less. Depending on the water situation where you live and whether you are on a septic system, a new DW can be a benefit in that respect.

A third consideration on newer dishwashers is whether you are bothered by the noise your KA makes. DWs madee in the last five or six years tend to be substantially quieter. Note that is "tend to be." Some just make different kinds of noise which you might or might not find more annoying. My recollection is that some recent WPs are kind of noisy and many are not.

A fourth consideration is that many of the older DWs worked pretty quickly. For the last decade, cycle times have been getting longer and slower as energy consumption has been reduced.

Another consideration is that the old KA probably has a metal or enameled tub which is pretty durable. Many of the more recent WP dishwashers have had plastic tubs. Some people think the plastic tubs are less durable. Some people do not.

A final consideration is that a five year old dishwasher is going to be run from integrated circuits and microprocessors whose durability can be difficult to predict. That old KA is pretty much an electro-mechanical device and, as you've noticed, pretty darn durable.

If you get the model number, you might be able to search for reports on the Whirlpool. Do you have storage space? Maybe you take the WP and store it for a couple of years as a spare in case the KA breaks down.

• jakvis
    11 years ago

If it's working don't touch it. Even if it's Avocado Green. Ok I'll give you a pass if it's avo green.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

KDI-16 uses 13.5 gals for the Full Cycle. 5 water changes.

1) PreWash (detergent in both cups) or PreRinse (detergent only in main cup)
    2) PreRinse
    3) Main Wash
    4) Rinse
    5) Rinse
    Dry

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

I would keep it if it is working fine, over a 5 y/o GE. They are not made the same, anymore.

Sort of makes me wonder why your friends are not keeping the GE.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

Well, the friends are offering a Whirlpool Gold, but Cavimum's point is still a good one. Why are your friends dumping a 5 year-old DW?

• lee676
    11 years ago

I'd easily keep the old Hobart. There's a reason it's lasted so long. (I still see them in use in lots of old houses, some older than yours). I had one that was probably one generation newer than yours, and it was almost as quiet as modern high-end dishwashers, and quieter than new mid-level models. And much faster than either. Drying was also better than in most new machines - hidden heating element and fan-forced drying. I'd venture the Hobart would outlast the Whirlpool Gold despite its age.

• Just Someone
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I was just googling this dishwasher to see how old it is because I have one in my kitchen and HOLY COW! I didn't know it was THAT old! My house is 85 years old. (Ok, not actually mine, I rent). the owner told me the dishwasher has been used maybe 20 times. and it shows it. the thing is pristine. I LOVE IT! And honestly it's the first time in my 45 years I've actually had a dishwasher! When I grew up *I* was the dishwasher. i HATE washing dishes. I'd rather clean toilets than wash dishes. As for whether you should change it, I work in retail hardware and my motto (and most of the world's motto) is: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!". "Energy efficient" comes with a price. As somoene else pointed out, they use less water and so it needs longer to run. It's more electronic than mechanical. And as someone else said, "It's a no-brainer".
    This dishwasher takes 30 minutes using the prewash but you brought up a good point--not to use the prewash. I don't put soap in for the prewash so I don't waste it. I also don't use the heat cycle. I tested it the first day I moved in and it had a weird smell and I didn't like it so I'm not using it. Granted, it was probably never used. I think if I stop using the prewash I will cut 10 min. off the wash time. Mine is kind of noisy but for only 20-30 min. I can live w/ that.
    I also prop the door open w/ a wooden spoon to let the steam escape to dry the dishes. When I don't the dishes stay wet. The steam also puts a little heat in the house too allowing me to not have to run the heat for a little while longer. ;)
    I still can't believe this dishwasher is older than me!
    Edit: I just looked at the model number and I have a KA-18. slightly newer model.

• dadoes
    8 years ago

Just Someone,

If you are referring to use of a KDI-16 as per this discussion topic ... it's not clear whether you are thinking that not placing detergent in the prewash cup will trigger the machine to skip the prewash part of the cycle. The machine has no sensor, no way to know if you do or do not place detergent in that cup. The only way to skip the prewash is to manually advance the timer past that part of the operation each time you run a load. The problem with doing that is the fill level won't be correct (fills are timed for two timer increments) if you don't set the timer precisely at the proper starting position for the next phase (prerinse or main wash) ... and there are no markings on the dial accordingly.