Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen1234_gw

Zephyr hood - replace lightbulb

Ellen1234
9 years ago

Hi,

I'm looking for tips on replacing the light bulb (G10 halogen) in my Zephyr hood. The manual is really no help. I'm not able to grip the old bulb to twist it as it's recessed into the hood. Advice???

It's model ZSAM90BS if that helps.

Thanks!

Comments (50)

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

I was able to remove the halogen bulbs from my Zephyr hood by shaping my hand into kinda' a claw & using the very tips of my fingers & fingernails got a press-grip on the outside edge of the bulb enough to twist it.

BTW, replaced those halogens with LEDs. The replacements stand just a bit proud of the hood so are easy to insert and remove. I replaced the bulbs in June 2013 and they're still going strong with quite a lot of use. Seemed like I was replacing a halogen every 90 days. Equivalent light output to halogen or maybe a little brighter. 2 bulbs LED use 8 watts vs 70 watts for the halogens.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED replacements

• llaatt22
    9 years ago

You need a special type of suction cup to Install and extract these bulbs. There is a bit of technique needed because most bulbs will not come loose with one easy turn, they require something resembling a slow steady clockwise and ccw vertical hand turn while pressing upward with enough force to keep the suction cup from sliding away off the bulb's surface. It is also a good idea to make sure the surfaces of the bulb and tool are extremely clean before you start. The bulb will shift eventually.

The new one going in will also likely try your patience.

These suction cup tools are often included in bargain halogen light fixture packages from China which probably accounts for their scarcity as a retail stand alone item over here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Halogen Bulb Tool

This post was edited by laat2 on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 1:01

• Ellen1234
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great information from both of you! Thanks! I will have to see if I can find one of those suction tools locally, otherwise will buy online....

I saw the LED bulbs at Target (sold out actually) but the cost was the same as a pack of 3 halogens, so I got the halogens.... but I could return and get the LED online since that price is much more tolerable :).

Thanks!

• kmg67
    9 years ago

Not that this helps but I purchased a Zephyr Tempest I several months ago and it came with the suction cup to change the bulb. I will say that I really love this hood!

• Ellen1234
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great information from both of you! Thanks! I will have to see if I can find one of those suction tools locally, otherwise will buy online....

I saw the LED bulbs at Target (sold out actually) but the cost was the same as a pack of 3 halogens, so I got the halogens.... but I could return and get the LED online since that price is much more tolerable :).

Thanks!

• Ellen1234
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kmg67 - thanks! I wonder if one came with my hood as well?! I will have to check!

UPDATE - I just checked the online manual and I should have received a suction cup! Not sure where my contractor put it, but I'll search around for it! Thanks!

This post was edited by Ellen1234 on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 11:22

• kmg67
    9 years ago

Ellen1234 - If you can't find it I'd contact Zephyr directly and see if this will just send you one. I don't see any reason why they would not.

This post was edited by kmg67 on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 12:58

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

Sometimes you can remove them wearing a latex or rubber glove - allows your finger tips more traction.

Also some of these PAR bulbs have a little longer neck than others - compare brands: GE / Sylvania / etc

People at lighting stores should have PAR bulbs with different length necks.

• Ellen1234
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good ideas - thanks!

• Alan Habib
    9 years ago

OK. So this was driving me crazy. I Have a Zephyr Tempest 1. A couple of weeks ago one of the bulbs failed so I called Zephyr and order a couple of replacements and the suction cup removal tool (I later found the one that came with the hood). They sent me two(2) GU10+C 35W Halogen Bulbs as replacements. To remove the old bulbs, I literally had to destroy them in the socket and carefully take out the glass chard's. I was totally frustrated. I called the local appliance store where I purchased the hood and they kindly agreed to send someone out to take care of this for me agreeing to reduce the $125.00 service call to $75.00 as a sign of good will (Those who live in the Northeast understand). Being somewhat handy, it irked me that I would have to pay someone $75 to change a light bulb. After getting back on the phone with customer service, they were unable to assist. when looking up this bulb online, i noticed that different manufactures had slightly different specs for the length of this bulb. I also noticed that they were stocked at the local Home Depot. I went down with my trusty tape measure and found a Phillips bulb (same code and base) that was a couple of mm longer. I brought them home, put them in and they fit perfectly. If Zephyr would have installed these initially, I am confident I would not have had to destroy the bulbs to take them out of the socket. Based on the fact that this thread exists, and that some of you have experienced the same difficulties, I highly recommend this course of action. PROBLEM SOLVED! MYSTERY SOLVED!!!

• reader44
    8 years ago

Thanks for this thread! Very useful advice above: wearing good old dishwashing gloves worked like a charm for getting a grip on the burnt-out bulb. I did buy an LED to replace it: about twice the price, noticeably brighter and whiter and (fingers crossed) longer lasting. I'll be happy if I don't have to mess around with these again any time soon.

• yazk
    8 years ago

@reader44, what was the make and model of LED bulb you found? I've been searching for a while for an LED equivalent but not found anything remotely close. Thanks.

• lharpie
    8 years ago

There are lots of 10GU LED bulbs for sale on amazon - as far as I can tell they are all a bit bigger and stick out a bit unfortunately. I bought the one with the smallest measurements but think it was a lie - it still sticks out of our Zephyr Sienna - probably no one is bothered by this except me. At any rate works fine just not on the dimmer mode - you get flickers. I like bright light though so had never used the dimmer setting before anyway.

• bkcastlerock
    7 years ago

The bulbs are a pain to replace. Twist countclockwise and and to pry the bulb down to get it out. Then to replace, took a while to get it aligned and twist clockwise. It was the final twist part that was IMPOOSSIBLE without gripping the edges with my finger nails to get it to lock in. Tried to call customer service to complain but got a vm. I'm sure they get a lot of complaints. I'll look for the phillps bulbs mentioned earlier. Just a couple more mm would help grip the bulb.

• rfabia
    7 years ago

Thanks to btlawler...the duct tape method worked and it took 4 secs!

• Shelly Hooper
    7 years ago

Duct tape worked. Mystery solved. Thank you!

• Whats InAName
    7 years ago

@lharpie How's your LED bulbs held up? I am getting a set from Amazon since I have the same hood.

• gopalgy
    7 years ago

The tape worked in 4 seconds.

• pippiep
    7 years ago

We've had the LED bulbs in our Zephyr Gust for a month now, and so far, so good. One of the halogen bulbs had stopped working, even though we've only had the hood in since August. Hoping for much longer life with LED!

• delsolgl99
    7 years ago

Please help! Got the bulbs out, using rubber gloves--got one new one in but the 2nd one, I have no idea how to get it in, I think I was lucky getting the first one in. What position do the 2 prongs need to go in to thread inside the socket?!

• bkcastlerock
    7 years ago

Insert just so......so the prongs go in then twist. Probably to the right.

• bkcastlerock
    7 years ago

Righty tighty.

• bkcastlerock
    7 years ago

twist clockwise

• bkcastlerock
    7 years ago

The bulbs are a pain to replace. Twist countclockwise and and to pry the bulb down to get it out. Then to replace, took a while to get it aligned and twist clockwise. It was the final twist part that was IMPOOSSIBLE without gripping the edges with my finger nails to get it to lock in

• ci_lantro
    7 years ago

The LED bulbs that I installed in my Zephyr hood in June 2013 are still working. During the winter, the bulbs are on nearly 24/7 because I forget to turn them off.

• Whats InAName
    7 years ago

ci_cilantro, I got a 6 pack from Amazon and I had a hard time to get it fit. The bulb surface was not smooth and that made it impossible to hold against the suction cup.

• bkcastlerock
    7 years ago

These bulbs are a challenge. Try to grip the edges of the bulbs with your fingernails. The suction cup was not helpful to me. Align the bulb to get it in place, grip with fingernails, twist clockwise to tighten.

• Elva Requenez
    7 years ago

I was able to use the baby bottle nipple cleaner to remove the bulbs. I must say that once you twist it takes a pretty hard tug to remove the bulb. I hope once I get the bulbs they won't be too hard to install.
    This is where the bulbs go and as you can see you insert them and twist to lock.

• homegrowninthe603
    7 years ago

Our Zephyr Typhoon came with a small black suction cup for bulb changing, housed in a little black plastic drawer at the back of the hood, but I don't really use it. We buy Phillips halogen replacement bulbs at HD, which are easier to change (stick out a tiny bit more) and seem to last longer than those than came with the hood. I just use my fingers. As others have suggested, a bit of sticky tape, rubber glove, suction cup or anything to give traction, if needed. Never tried the LEDs.

• littlegrrrl
    6 years ago

Thank you for this thread! We never changed the bulbs on our Pyramid hood (it's been almost 7 years!) and I finally went to change it and was stumped! Couldn't get them out, tried the duct tape, nothing worked. Was about to buy the suction cup online and read that it was housed at the back of the hood--opened up my hood and lo and behold, there it was! Took a decent amount of muscle but yay, it worked!

• barnaclebob
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Its honestly easier to just unscrew the whole bottom piece, swing it down and change the light bulb that way. On mine the flimsy bulb supports were loose and you couldn't get the new bulb back in. I could use the suction cup to remove a bulb but the new one wouldn't go in with it.

If you switch to LED's make sure the light the correct slightly yellow color temperature or you will make your cooktop look like an operating table.

• lenirdrake
    6 years ago

I can't find the suction cup, and so far neither the tape nor rubber glove methods have worked. I removed the filters and awkwardly accessed the neck of the bulb from inside, but still no success. My hands are too big for the space. I tried to work from inside and out simultaneously and... got a real deep cut on the tip of my finger from the bulb glass cover. DO NOT TRY IT WITH BARE HANDS -- Sorry for the gross image, but I think people should be (dramatically) alerted. My model type doesn't allow me to unscrew the bottom part, so the next step will be to get a suction cup.

• bkcastlerock
    6 years ago

yes..I had to grip the edge from the outside with my fingernails. It's a real pain to replace these things. Once you grip the edge, it's important to know which way to turn it and it will fall right out. Also read the other's comments about replacement bulbs which are a tad longer which will help you grip it in the future. Very poor design for sure but everything else about this hood, I really like....

• rcarlsini
    6 years ago

The duct tape suggestion is brilliant!! 2 seconds.

• A Roberts
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Two tips I wanted to share after replacing the left light bulb on my Zephry hood. First to access the light bulb socket I removed the vent, as you do when you remove them for cleaning. The from the inside of the hood I held the fixture in place with my right hand and then gently twisted the light bulb base in a counter-clockwise direction until it came loose. No suction cup required.

Also I replaced the light with an IKEA "LEDARE" LED 400lm/6W GU10. Its a touch brighter than the original light bulb, but also dims to half. So good I'm going to do the other side.

• bkcastlerock
    6 years ago

Thank you for the tip on accessing the fixture from the inside. I'll give that a try next time and look at getting some of those IKEA bulbs. The last time I did a bulb change, I balled up duct tape to create a very sticky base. I then pressed the sticky ball of tape against the bulb and twisted counter clockwise which worked pretty good since I didn't have one of those little plungers. Duct tape to the rescue!

• faithhome1
    5 years ago

I have the same hood. Bulbs very hard to remove (cut my hands and had no success). I finally remove the 2 mesh filters. I tehen reached the shank of the bulbs from the inside, turned the shank counter clockwise while pushing up on the bulb with my free hand. Both bulbs came right out.

• L Christianson
    5 years ago

btlawler -- the tape worked like a charm. Didn't have duct but just plain packing tape worked! Thanks a bunch!

• HU-997459016
    5 years ago

I tried to replace a bulb in my Dad's Zephyr range hood. The first time I could get the old one out but couldn't get the new one in. Last night I came and got a new one securely in finally, but got a couple little cuts, removed a panel and didn't get it flush enough back on and put the metal filter back on and damaged it, and the bulb still doesn't light up. Maybe it was a burned out bulb I put in I don't know. Very helpful tips. I might order the suction cup. I might find an LED that I could use. I'd love to use an LED as it would save a lot of electricity and last longer.

• Michael
    5 years ago
    I have a 30 inch zephyr. If you take out the filters you can reach in and unscrew the bulbs from inside the hood. Way easier.
  • Muriel Mercier
    5 years ago

Very difficult to take out the light bulb IMPOSSIBLE TO PUT IT BACK!!! HORRIBLE DESIGN!!!

• Muriel Mercier
    5 years ago

HORRIBLE DESIGN !!!!!

EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO TAKE THE LIGHT BULB OUT IMPOSSIBLE TO PUT IT BACK!!!

• HU-300842830
    5 years ago

With all of these comments, I should have known better than try it myself. Ordered 2 replacement bulbs from Zephr. The first old one came out easily enough but must have worked off and on 2 hours trying to get this new bulb in. I was using the suction tool. Once the bulb flew out of my hand and ended up breaking on my granite counter top. Thankfully, it didn't break my Miele cook top. In the end called a contractor and they had to take the hood apart underneath and stabilize the bracket. When the bulb is pushed into the socket, the bracket moves up and then the bulb hits the vent and can't go any farther to engage. He moved both brackets down a touch and made them more sturdy by tightening the screws. Poor design is an understatement here to be able to replace these bulbs successfully. I am sending the broken bulb back to Zephr with this explanation since I still need another bulb.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    5 years ago

Thank you for all the comments—they helped me so much! I’ve had my Zephyr Gust hood for 6-7 years, and one bulb recently went out. I decided I wanted to go with LED replacements because they will last longer, use less energy, and the light color temperature (3000K) will match my LED under cabinet lighting better.

I purchased the bulbs and a suction cup from the Zephyr website, even though the bulbs seemed to be overpriced. I wanted the suction cup and I wanted to make sure to have the appropriate LED bulb. There are so many choices with beam angle, lumens, CRI, and color temperature. Here are the specs for the bulb they sell on the website:

Intertek KLLUG-6B

Model Z0B0040

Bulb Base GU10

Color Temp 3000K

CRI >=80

Wattage 6

Lumens 480

Beam Angle flood 38 degrees

The first bulb came right out, but the second was a bit of a bother. It finally (in reality just a couple minutes) came out, and I didn’t have much problem getting them back in. Pay attention to the position of the 2 prongs when you pull it out so you know what angle you are shooting for when you put them back in. I did remove the filters first so I could see what I was doing, but I’m not sure it helped.

• Sharis Saketkhoo
    4 years ago

I purchased what I thought would be the equivalent of the existing halogen in my Zephyr hood. After PAINSTAKINGLY taking the existing blown lights out and replacing with the new LED, I found the new bulbs don't work and they are not flush with the surface the previous halogen lights were flush with. I compared the distance between the LED prongs and the original Halogen bulbs and the LED prongs are about 1 mm closer to each other. I would like to switch to LED. Anyone have suggestions?

• Nadine Dorrington
    4 years ago

@Btlawler cant thank you enough

• N Ravindra
    4 years ago

The duct tape thing worked!!thank you so much!!

• Kathleen Davidson
    3 years ago

I am getting ready to change the bulbs in my Zephyr Breeze. Absolutely going to use LEDs, which do not get hot, as I have burned my fingers multiple times on the halogens. My manual instructions note: bulb does not unscrew, it turns 60 degrees, stops and falls out.

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The Gust range hood panel holding the light has a spring clip on the front side. Pushing it aside will let the panel drop, much like the fan screens do. I found it much easier to replace the bulb with the panel hanging down intead of contorting myself over the range to try and re-insert a new bulb. Of course, you do have to remove the screen next to the light panel to get access to the spring.