Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Refrigerator with stainless side panels?

Posted by jamies (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 18:16

I'm looking at nonfancy brand bottom freezer refrigerators with 35-36" width and traditional deeper-than-counter depth. I am open to counter depth but I can't go wider and I want 25 cu ft minimum. I don't want to pay Subzero-level prices. The only one I have seen that has stainless (or stainless-look) sides is the GE Cafe. It has a water dispenser in the door and I wanted to avoid those.

Do you know of any other?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Refrigerator with stainless side panels?


Electrolux and KitchenAid used to make them too but with rising SS prices this is becoming rare.

KA has one with SS "look" side panels at cheaper price.

KitchenAid Architect Series II KBFS25EWMS

RE: Refrigerator with stainless side panels?

Thanks! I'll have to find a place that sells KA so I can see this "monochromatic" finish.

RE: Refrigerator with stainless side panels?

The "ss look" panels may or may not match.

I just bought one of the KA's with stainless doors and "matching" painted side panels. When I saw the floor model underr florsecent lights in the store, the sides seemed to be a light gray, but in my kitchen the side panels seem kind of dark. More like the "slate" color you see with DCS/Fisher & Paykel and Viking fridges.

The issues of stainless-front/painted sides has been getting some discussion here at GW for the better part of a decade. Seems as though all stainless is pretty expensive. Check out these threads for some suggestions on models with stainless side panels.

Kitchenaid/Whirlpool/Amana as well as GE sell add-on stainless side panels but they are expensive -- like $400/panel expensive. For example, see this link:

You could see about getting a local fabricator to make you a panel but it probably would not be much less expensive. When I checked in my area, I was quoted $300/panel. At one point, Lowes and maybe Home Depot sold magnetic mounting SS panels.

I recall seeing somewhere an ad for stainless-look contact paper. Seems like that would be pretty cheesy, though.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here