Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uptown_gw

Refrigerator/upright freezer door suction

uptown
15 years ago

What causes the vacuum/sucking sound that I hear when the door closes? Some times the suction is so great that you have to wait some time for the suction to relax before you can reopen the door if I just happen to want to reopen the door immediately after closing. Thanks for all who reply!

Comments (15)

• canuck99
    15 years ago

What make of fridge?

• canuck99
    15 years ago

So if a fridge excepts this behaviour it would appear it is a good thing? Tight seal?

• llaatt22
    15 years ago

Yes the initial extra force on the closed door would help the seal work better later. It would be nice if some sort of pressure equalizer valve was built into the door handles for those "locked out" times when people are in a hurry.

• Joe Blowe
    15 years ago

"It would be nice if some sort of pressure equalizer valve was built into the door handles for those "locked out" times when people are in a hurry."

It already exists: the human index finger. Just shove it into the gasket to break the seal and, voilÃÂ , pressure equalization!

(Of course, this doesn't work for those with fancy refrigerators that are built-in and have hidden gaskets ;-)

• sentimentallady
    6 years ago

A friend told me about their previous upright freezer that did this, and they were happy with it. They have a new upright freezer that does not make that sucking sound, and they were not happy to discover they must defrost it far too often. I'm ready to buy an upright freezer and do not want a self-defrosting. They cannot remember their previous brand. Does anyone know what "sucking" model I should be looking for?

• maire_cate
    6 years ago

My Sub Zero 36" freezer had a fantastic 'vacuum' seal. After shutting the door you couldn't open it again immediately - you had to wait to open it - maybe 30 to 40 seconds.

• jt fields
    6 years ago

Our 20 year old Sub-Zero did this. Like Maire said, it was almost impossible to open immediately after you closed it. It finally bit the dust and we just replaced it. The new one does not have the same vacuum effect. The dealer told me before I bought it that a few years back Sub-Zero did something to prevent it from happening (I don't remember the specifics.)

• dadoes
    6 years ago

Some refrigerator and freezer designs have a "duckbill" pressure release valve in the condensate drain line. Excess interior air pressure is released via the valve when the door is closed so the suction effect does not occur.

• rigogs
    6 years ago

our Kenmore Elite has the vacuum feature, almost impossible to open door for those first few seconds--nice upright from Sears

• bradha07
    6 years ago

I have a refurbished Frigidaire upright which 'sports' this very problem. Not long after bringing it home the door handle broke off. This was partially due to the handle's poor design, but also due to the door's unusually high initial resistance to opening. I bought a new handle and put it on, while instructing other members of the household, "This handle is just for looks. It's not for strong- arming open the door." I advised everyone to instead gently break the seal with their fingers first (to equalize the pressure) and only then open the door.

Seemed to be the solution. But turned out NOT to be the solution. In place of having to replace the handle again, I now have to replace a mangled, permanently broken seal.

Still looking for a solution...

• HU-762730887
    3 years ago

I have a 20’ 2018 foot Frigidaire model that has the suction closing system I love it!!! It also has a metal interior box! another good aspect bought another Frigidaire 16’ foot. When I close the door it stops about 2” from closing, no suction? Interior box is plastic. None of my refrigerators act like this they all are almost self closing when slightly pushed. I’m returning this freezer. I’m in the meat business!!

• Tad Razbo
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I don't think the suction is supposed to be a normal condition. In fact it most likely is an indication the drain hole for the evaporation coil is iced up as i just learned with my Samsung freezer. In the back of the fridge under the access panel the top of the drain line for the freezer has an air gap that allows the vacuum to quickly equalize so the door can still be opened. After removing the ice blockage in the freezer compartment under the coils and cleaning the drain tube there is now a distinct hissing for a few seconds after i close the freezer door and it no longer gets stuck shut from suction.

• kaseki
    3 years ago

My SZ 632 has always done this since it was new (ca. 2010). I assumed it was a 'feature.' I would argue that it is a good idea because a good seal lasting hours between accesses beats a poor seal that would save me 10 seconds now and then, and which might lead to overload of the drain pan.

• prinas
    3 years ago

My Electrolux freezer had a vacuum seal. All of a sudden this has quit working. How do I fix so it seals again

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH