Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Recommendation for a top loading washer/dryer?

We replaced our 25 year old top loading washer about 4 years ago when it finally stopped working. We bought a front loader. Sincerely hate the new machine. I don't think the clothes are getting clean. The clothes actually never sit in water, but are simply rotating through the water. How is that supposed to clean clothes? Nothing rinses out of them. I really want my old top loader back. If I can find something that is really a big improvement, I'd replace this now and not wait until it stops working.

But, I realize they just don't make them the way they used to. So can anyone really say they have a washing machine that they think is fabulous and does a brilliant job of cleaning clothes?

Comments (21)

• poppy214
    9 years ago

If you want an old technology agitator washing machine, take a look at the Speed Queen threads over in the Laundry Forum.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>I don't think the clothes are getting clean

Why don't you think the clothes are getting clean? What evidence is there? Does the laundry smell not washed? Are there stains remaining? What temperature water are you washing in? What detergent are you using, and how much?

• wekick
    9 years ago

The only machine made like they used to be is a Speed Queen. We have ten sets we use in our business. They run all day every day and they get stuff clean. We've had some of them for eight years and never had a problem with any of them. We used a Maytag top loader a couple of years ago on vacation and it didn't get anything clean. I used detergent on a spot and the detergent didn't come out. That never happens with the SQ. It does use more water but we have allergies so need to have things well rinsed. The only criticism I have is that it doesn't have a warm rinse. You can rig it to warm rinse by adding hot water to the cold side.

• McMegan
    9 years ago

The new energy and water efficiency requirements mean that it is very hard to make a top-loading washing machine that gets your clothes clean; people generally end up washing the clothes more than once. Maybe the Speed Queens are better.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hvtech42 - IâÂÂm just not happy with the way they come out. They are never bright and clean. No, the stains come out if I use a stain treatment but I do end up with a lot of smell from detergent leftover in the clothes, so I know they arenâÂÂt getting rinsed out. In comparison to the way my clothes came out of the washer for the first 40 years of my life these clothes are not getting clean to the same degree or satisfaction. I think I have enough experience to judge that. IâÂÂve used different detergents, Tide Liquid is one of them and I use the amount recommended in the guide that came with the machine.

Temperature of the water? Well, I havenâÂÂt taken the temperature of the water as it is washing, but at my kitchen sink you can easily scald yourself.

Plus, letâÂÂs not forget the way they come out of the washer completely wrinkled, unless you wash everything on the wrinkle free setting, which only makes them âÂÂlessâ wrinkled and less clean.

Thank you Poppy and Wekick for the recommendation. Wekick, you certainly have some experience with the Speed Queen. That is what I am looking for, a machine made like they used to be made. I'll check those out.

McMegan, so what you're saying is that it's not just the front loaders, it's the top loaders too because of the energy/water efficiency requirements. Well..hopefully the Speed Queen is another option.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

OK, so you do see evidence that they aren't getting clean, just making sure. Many people insist they can't possibly getting clean for no other reason than they use little water, despite that being the way the rest of the world has washed their clothes for decades.

When I say water temperature, I mean what temperature setting are you using on the machine, not the actual temperature of the water.

BTW, what brand and model is your current front load washer?

The wrinkles don't come out when drying?

Using HE detergent?

The recommended amounts on the detergent package are written with the manufacturer's best interest in mind, not yours.

As a last resort you could try raising the water level in your machine.

I agree with the above posters Speed Queen has the best top load (and front load!) washers on the market today, but I would recommend trying to get to the root of the problem before spending big bucks on a new machine. I have used front loaders since 1997 and would never go back to top load.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

I've really liked my LG Model WT5101HW, there are lots of mostly positive reviews on the Laundry forum.

The wringing action is very powerful so that the clothes are often twisted and smashed together, I shake every larger piece out with a quick snap before semi-folding it to put it into the dryer. If you don't do that they will dry with additional wrinkles.

I LOVE the paired dryer and the Steam Assist function- it magically takes out bad wrinkles.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

I would recommend any of the Speed Queen top loaders. The very last of the old school washers using a real transmission and gearcase.

Purchased model AWN432 last year and it is a fine machine all around.

Get the mechanical timer machines while they still have them. They are due to switch over to electronic controls in 2015 I believe. I would bet their electronics will be much more reliable though; as they use them in their commercial machines and the home fl washers.

• andrelaplume2
    9 years ago

I have replaced a few simple parts in our 10 year old abused, rusty, ugly Kenmore...it keeps chugging along so I can't complain. I too dislike the front loaders. I stopped by the local shop to look at the speed queens. Pricey but impressive. I was talking to my Dad today...guy coming out to look at his washer...might be the tranny...guess what...its a speed queen! Its 4 years old. I'll report back what was wrong and if their warranty covers the parts/labor etc.

The gov is trying to banish top loaders, For those who believe in SQ, I understand they don't make front loaders.

• laundryvet
    9 years ago

SQ makes front loaders, in fact they make 10s of thousands in all sizes for the commercial market (laundromats, apartment buildings, restaurants, hotels, hospitals, nursing homes, athletic facilities, among many applications).

They also sell a few versions for the residential markets, same basic machine as the one sold to the commercial clients.

Laundryvet

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

For some reason, people don't seem to get it. It's not about top load vs. front load. It's about quality vs. junk. The Speed Queens you guys are talking about aren't good because they're top load, they're good because they're quality made. Speed Queen front loaders are also quality made and leagues ahead of the top loaders in just about every area.

I would not be sad to see the SQ top loaders go, their design is inferior to older ones like Whirlpool and Maytag. SQ is much more difficult to work on, and far more expensive to repair. They are built well, but god help you if it does break out of warranty - it often makes more economic sense to junk these machines than repair them, which is the exact phenomenon SQ is trying to fight against.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I have a Whirlpool--6 years old. Had my first repair on it for the timing device....easily fixed....Very happy.

• allisonkbye
    9 years ago

When we bought our first house 2 years ago and needed to buy a washer and dryer, several people told us to stay away from front load washers. Everyone that had them that we talked to didn't like them. Trouble draining, and would develop bad odors.

I buy based on online reviews, but didn't want to spend more than $400 per machine, so I got a Whirpool set. The agitator was insanely loud for some reason, and it kept coming unbalanced, and I hated how the lid locked. I just had a bad feeling about the set so I returned them.

I found someone selling a used GE dryer, but it was newer and comparable to the Whirlpool set I had purchased, so I bought it for like $200, then bought the new matching GE washer. LOVE them both. They do an excellent job at exactly what they're supposed to do, and I couldn't ask for more.

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

Same story here -- had a top loader for decades, it finally broke and we got a front loader. Clothes had to be washed multiple times and still not clean. Stinky musty smell; had to keep door open all the time to keep musty smell from developing and it still developed gunk all in the crevaces of the rubber seal, etc. Hated it!!

So I got a Speed Queen thanks to the laundry forum :) Finally! My clothes are clean in 25 minutes flat. With the old one it was literally HOURS because of all the rewashing and still they weren't really clean; I would just give up and throw them in the dryer. Laundry would pile up because it was taking so long!

Also sometimes I like to soak things and you just can't do that in a front loader.

I love it 'almost' as much as my induction cooktop.

Fresh clean clothes, fast, and no stinky smell! I'm a busy mom with 4 dirty kids and a sweaty stinky DH. No time to wash twice. Get a Speed Queen!

• attofarad
    9 years ago

I don't have any trouble with my wife's Siemens front loader getting clothes clean. However, it takes a while. Even though it is large for a front loader, it still holds a fraction of what my old top loaders held. It may be more efficient in the amount of water it uses, but I'm sure that it uses more electricity because of needing to run about 3x as many loads. We also have to leave the Siemens door open when not in use, to avoid a funky smell.

• mzaloom
    9 years ago

I absolutely love love love my Staber washing machine. It is a 'top load horizontal axis' machine which means you load it from the top, but it washes like a front loader - so you get the best of both worlds. It is made in Ohio. I have had mine for at least six or seven years with absolutely no problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: staber washing machine

• jakkom
    9 years ago

We have the Fisher Paykel top load washer GWL11 and top-load dryer, purchased in 2009. We only do about 3-4 loads per week, not much. Have been excellent, very gentle on clothes but cleans well.

However, FP was purchased by Haier of China a couple of years ago. May not be the same quality now.

• buzyjo
    9 years ago

The top load washer that I have now could only be filled with hot water by reaching over and turning the cold off even if the temperature was set for hot. It was an "energy effecient" idea 10 years ago. I want a machine that fills with hot water when I select hot on my temperature selector. Will this be a possibility with a SQ?

• wekick
    9 years ago

It will be a reality. The temperature will be what it is coming out of the hot water heater.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>The top load washer that I have now could only be filled with hot water by reaching over and turning the cold off even if the temperature was set for hot. It was an "energy effecient" idea 10 years ago. I want a machine that fills with hot water when I select hot on my temperature selector. Will this be a possibility with a SQ?

Yes, although the "warm" setting will not be a perfect 50/50 mix of hot/cold water.

• wekick
    9 years ago

For warm, you can adjust the mix of hot and cold by closing the hot or cold hoses to make the temperature that you want. I change it around because our water gets so cold in the winter.

The only thing it does not have is a warm rinse but you could put hot into the cold side and make it warm with a "y" in the hose.