Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cecat

Does the Capital Connoisseurian actually exist?

cecat
10 years ago

Hello! I've been lurking here and trying to absorb the vast volume of information available here as we prepare to build what will likely be my last home ever. I'm sold on the Capital Culinarian cooktop (just got to actually see one in person a couple of days ago), but have been totally torn over whether I could live with a range only or would need to do the rangetop with separate wall ovens. Can't afford to do both. A large proportion of my cooking is on the rangetop, but I also bake all of my own bread, currently in electric wall oven (and much of that inside clay bakers). I have never had a gas oven, so was excited to hear about Capital's reportedly new dual fuel model. However, aside from the press release last year, I can't find any further information. Does anyone here know if it actually is in production?

A secondary concern regarding range only is how LOW the ovens must be ... anyone with opinions on that subject, please chime in!

Thanks so much!!!
Susan

Comments (19)

• wekick
    10 years ago

Maybe here and more here. Funny Eurostoves wouldn't be first. Maybe these are make believe.

• cecat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! That's interesting. If you click "Buy Now" at the second link, you're referred back to the first link, so HomeClick (whoever they are) seems to be the only one. Judging from the ad, they don't really know much about them. You'd think that Capital would have some reference to them on their own site, or that Eurostoves would have posted something.

I keep wanting to love the 48" Culinarian range, and DO love the look of it and the burners, but the low (and short interior) ovens keep holding me back. Supposedly, the Connoisseurian is a good 2 inches taller, which would help. May have to end up with rangetop and oven in the end. Of course, then I'll have to research the option of a speed oven as my second oven and I am TOTALLY confused about those. Never thought that buying appliances would be so difficult!!

• wekick
    10 years ago

I would favor a rangetop and separate oven anyway as you can pick out the best of each. I would be very careful about buying any oven that has not been tried and true. I am looking to replace my DF range and I can not see enough about this range oven to convince me-too many unknowns. I wrote a few things that concern me on this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: BS vs CCon.

• DJ493
    10 years ago

We're putting the Culinarian 6 burner rangetop with seperate dual wall ovens in our new home for exactly the reason wekick states.

This post was edited by DJ493 on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 19:13

• jcmjcm
    10 years ago

I own the 48in CC range and a single capital wall oven. For me, the ovens are low on the range, I mostly use the wall oven. Yes, the new DF range is out, call capital @866-402-4600 and they will direct you to a dealer. Remember, this will be new so I don't know how you feel about that. In my honest opinion, the rangetop with double ovens would be a better fit.

• cecat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You all have provided the extra push to make me follow my gut and stick to the 48" rangetop with wall ovens. Now the only problem will be to decide which oven(s).

jcmjcm, are you happy with your Capital wall oven? And what sort of oven user are you? I'm starting to consider Electrolux Icon as a result of my reading on this site, although I have hated every Frigidaire appliance we have ever owned. There are just no easy decisions when it comes to kitchens, are there? Geeze, I considered myself fairly decisive up till now ....

Susan

• jcmjcm
    10 years ago

I was looking for a wall oven with rotisserie, that was a must. I bake at least 5-6 times a week! I have 4 kids, husband, mom and father in law. The kids are involved in cooking clubs, track, Girl Scouts n I bake for friends n work. At first I was a little fearful cuz there wasn't enough talk about the Capital Maestro Wall Ovens, but have no fear. It's done a good job on bread, cupcakes, sponge cakes, brownies, chocolate cake, flan, bread pudding and cookies. Rotisserie chickens come out great n the broiler is great. It works with the door cracked open.
    I looked at American Range( fearful of not finding svc repair), Wolf( didn't have rotisserie), Gagg(was more costly), Thermador(I read about reliability issues), Miele( cost more and the rotisserie prongs looked small, compared to others).
    The Electrolux look beautiful, just make sure your pans will fit and the inside oven height is to your liking.

• jcmjcm
    10 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention the oven racks. There are ovens out there with nicer glides on the racks. Some will have fixed bottom rack. The Capital Maestro comes with 3 racks and 6 rack positions. All racks can be removed and repositioned. This oven also has a Moist Roast feature that you add distilled water into and it will release this water as the roast is in oven for a moist roast. Added feature, I roast without it just fine. Hope I answered moist of your concerns.

• DJ493
    10 years ago

Like I said we got the Capital Culinarian 36" 6 burner rangetop. After doing a lot of shopping we chose the Electrolux Wave-Touch duel ovens in the 30". We found a great deal at $2500 and we'll even get a $200 rebate on top of that. Bring the cost down to $2300.

• noopd
    10 years ago

I got the 48" culinarian (6burner +grill) and wall oven.. for the same reason too, (low oven, and i don't want gas oven) and so far i love it. the range is performing great, and wall oven is perfect height and you don't get too hot around the range when the oven is on.

There are many people on this forum who loves the electrolux wave touch. So I think that's a good choice. Otherwise, I have a wall stack with miele combisteam on top, miele masterchef single oven in the middle, and a miele warming drawer on the bottom. I use the combisteam more more often then the regular oven.. but the masterchef oven does a great job at rotisserie. :)

• Jennifer N.
    10 years ago

Bumping!!

So has anybody seen an actual Connoisseurian in person or better yet, owns one?

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a 36" Connoisseurian with the grill. Had it for 3 months. Love it. The oven is a bit low, especially because I used to have a wall oven at chest height. I've gotten used to it though. The oven has been great with my breads. The "steam" mode is great!

• teachmkt1
    8 years ago

Same model as Mark above (propane on burners), oven use has been limited to roasting, broiling, rotisserie and some baking (different breads). Oven has been particularly good with high heat baking with dual pizza stones. Contrary to the unsubstantiated claims that it didn't recover well from from temperature drops, it does great: took about 5-6 minutes to gain 50F at 300 up to 500F with 2 or 3 stops along the way on a preheat. Haven't played around yet with the true convect mode, being able change the broiler temp is nice for the rotisserie and regular broiling. Oven is very even, pockets baked at two levels on stones rose and browned perfectly running at 550F. The oven door opens low, the handle will bump my shoe tops if I'm not paying attention and is cavernous. So far between the open burners and the oven I love this beast. We're down south, can't wait for more traditional fall roasting and baking seasons.

Mark: could you give some more detail on how you use the "moist" mode? It's always been a mystery to me, but I have used water pans and ice cubes in some baking recipes. The manual and a youtube video center on roasting.

• wekick
    8 years ago

teachmkt1

Contrary to the unsubstantiated claims that it didn't recover
    well from from temperature drops, it does great: took about 5-6 minutes
    to gain 50F at 300 up to 500F with 2 or 3 stops along the way on a
    preheat.

____

Unsubstantiated claims?

I like to differentiate between

--information provided by the manufacturer

--unsubstantiated claims which may be a person's stated experience but unaccompanied by independent supporting data

--personal opinion

Each may be helpful but has to be taken for what it is. Here are some examples.

This information is from Capital in the User Guide and may be found HERE

It is not my "claim" but Capital's own words.

"IMPORTANT:
    If the oven door is left open for a period of time while cooking or the
    temperature setting is increased by 150° or more, the oven will go into a
    rapid recovery mode. This is the same heating as PRE HEAT and uses
    intense heat from the BROIL, BAKE, and CONVECTION Elements as well as
    the Convection Fan to heat the oven quickly. This may cause foods to
    burn."
    "Open the oven door only when required! Opening the door allows heat to escape and requires the oven to recover which
    can affect cooking. Check food by using the oven light and viewing through the door glass whenever possible"

PERSONAL OPINION HERE>>>Not a "claim" but I wrote on a previous thread that this statement would give me pause because there are times I open the door frequently when using my oven.

Trevor Lawson posted a response from Capital on this thread. HERE

This is it. Again not my "claim", words from the manufacturer.

"Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)

This is the answer I received from the factory due to the last thread.

There are two sides to this question and the complaints for each is shown below:

1. COMPLAINT: My oven doesn’t recover quickly when I reset the
      temperature to a higher setting (+150° F) or leave the door open for
      overly extended periods of time and takes too long to regain the set
      temperature.

a. SETTING: No quick recovery. Oven will cycle normally despite large
    temperature drops due to the door being left open, or the oven set
    temperature being reset to a much higher temperature. The recovery time
    can be very long for large differentials between oven temp and set temp.

1. COMPLAINT: My oven goes into a quick recovery mode when I reset the
      temperature (+150° F) or <b>leave the door open for excessive
      periods of time</b>, and burns my food.

a. SETTING: Quick recovery is set. Oven will go into PRE-HEAT mode if
    the difference between the oven temp and set temp is 150° or more. This
    reduces recovery time if the door is left open or if the set temp is
    increased."

There is a very prolonged discussion HERE that includes comments by the engineer and many opinions.

If you want to have some idea of how long it takes to move the temperature up if you need to raise it, without the preheat, again the user guide linked above answers in the delay bake section.

A quote from the user manual (not a personal claim).

"IMPORTANT When using the DELAY COOK, the PRE-HEAT cycle is eliminated to prevent food from burning. The oven will take an additional 20-40 minutes to heat to the set temperature. Please take note of the additional time it will take to heat the oven when using DELAY COOK."

>>>>>using very basic math and the numbers supplied from the user guide. <<<<

Assuming the oven is at 72F to start and you used mid range 30 min as the time required to get to a mid range temperature of 350F, add to the normal preheat again given by Capital as 10 minutes, it takes about 40 minutes to come up 278F. This is 7-8 minutes to come up 50F.

Here is an unsubstantiated claim. No test data supplied. >>>My Electrolux oven takes about 60 seconds to raise the temperature 50F. I used an oven a couple of weeks ago that had a digital read out of the temperature and it was surprising how much the temp dropped every time the oven was opened even briefly but the oven kicked on and the temperature was restored in seconds.

teachmkt1--"it does great: took about 5-6 minutes
    to gain 50F at 300 up to 500F with 2 or 3 stops along the way on a
    preheat"

I am not sure what this means. Was this in the preheat mode or do you mean you preheated the oven to 300F and then the preheat went off and you turned it up 50F? Either way we have differing opinions on what is great.

MY OPINION VVVV

This would not be the oven for me because sometimes I open the oven for many batches of cookies or appetizers, stirring, adding something, taking something out or leave the oven open slightly for some types of baking. Open it three quick times and I can be down 100F and then you are looking at 12-15 minutes(using the variation of teachmkt1's, however the number was obtained vs user's guide numbers) for it to come back up if you don't open again.

• 03_Aggie
    8 years ago

I'm curious, what does your electrolux manual say about the scenarios described in the Capital manual?

• wekick
    8 years ago

There are no warnings about the preheat burning food. There is a rapid preheat with Electrolux but it is optional. I have preheated with and without, with very little difference in time. It takes about 7-8 minutes to preheat to 350F with a regular preheat. The interesting thing is that the manual says you can put some food in during preheat.

In some baking I let my oven preheat for an extra 20-30 minutes because any oven needs that time to stabilize per baking textbooks but it is not because it will burn my food.

There is a delay cook with Electrolux but no warnings that the oven won't preheat quickly. It still preheats in about 7-8 minutes and the food inside is not burned.

No warnings about opening the door or the necessity of looking through the window. They are not needed.

• User
    8 years ago

teachmkt1

Mark: could you give some more detail on how you use the "moist" mode? It's always been a mystery to me, but I have used water pans and ice cubes in some baking recipes. The manual and a youtube video center on roasting.

I bake most of my sourdough and baguettes at 460 Deg F. I usually preheat the oven for an hour total (in order to get the baking stone up to temperature), and about 10 minutes before I start the bake, I turn on Moist mode. I leave Moist mode on for about the first 1/3 of the bake, and finish the bake in a drying oven as a commercial bakery would. Seems to work great. Since I tend not to open the oven door during the bake, I can't comment on recovery times.

• teachmkt1
    8 years ago

Thanks Mark; very helpful.