Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stahlee_gw

Bosch FlexInduction

stahlee
11 years ago

I just got off the phone with Bosch USA and they said the FlexInduction top will be introduced very soon here in the US. I just pulled out my BlueStar 30" gas cooktop this week and was planning to order a Miele or a Thermador 30" induction cooktop. Looking at the information in the other countries, it appears the FlexInduction is a 30"-31" model which is awesome since all the zoneless models are 36".

The rep was not allowed to tell me the exact time frame, but I told him I need something within the next month because we cook nearly every day. I'm left with my outdoor grill and Big Green Egg until I order something in. Since I said I needed something very soon, he said I should be happy then, meaning it will be introduced within the next couple weeks. Mainly for the holiday season.

I may have to go a few weeks without a cooktop in hopes this gets introduced. Based on the Australian sites, the 30" is $3000 and the 24" is $2600. 3k for a 30" would be a great price for that flexibility.

Crossing fingers!!!

Comments (34)

• eleena
    11 years ago

I would kiss you if I could! :-)

Thank you so much for the news!!!

BTW, you can get a portable induction unit while waiting.
    Tuesday Morning has those very often for ~$80 as does E-bay (quite inexpensively).

Then you don't need to cook outdoors in the rain and it comes really handy for travel. I have had mine for 4-5 years and I ma very happy with it. You can also use it as an extra hob for holidays. It is a good investment.

• eleena
    11 years ago

Just wanted to add:

Don't buy the discontinued Caso model from Williams-Sonoma. It is a piece of junk.

• dodge59
    11 years ago

You may want to check on how many pans and sizes of same you can have on that "Fancy cooktop" at the same time.

Seems like I came across a post here in Garden Webb, where someone had or used a "Zoneless" induction cooktop and it could only handle 3 pans at the same time----that would be a similar type induction cooktop to the "Flex Induction Bosch" just a different name----You best do your homework!!!

My self, I just can see spending all the extra bucks cause one apparently can not align a pan with a circle??????

Gary

• dodge59
    11 years ago

"My self, I just can see spending all the extra bucks cause one apparently can not align a pan with a circle??????"

I should have typed, "My self, I just can NOT see spending all the extra bucks cause one apparently can not align a pan with a circle??????

Gary

• stahlee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Eleena, I've given that some thought and I may go that route. I've cooked outside the last couple days and all has been good. Looks to rain tomorrow night, so we're going to have leftovers from tonight. I may do some crock pot cooking to, like ham, green beans and potatoes or pot pie. Things that I will have lots of leftovers.

Dodge59, the specs say 4 positions can be used at the same time. It doesn't say amperage, but it's showing 7200W which will be the standard 40A circuit for the cooktop. I'll be very disappointed if the US model only handles 3.

• eleena
    11 years ago

Yes,

I use my crockpot a lot too.

BTW,

Do you know if they are also bringing the 24" model?

That is the one I really want.

Dodge,
    I couldn't agree more!

I was totally salivating after the 36" model till I read that no more than 4 pans/pots were allowed. What's the point?

But Bosch 800 series 30" induction cooktop is $2999 anyway, isn't it?

• stahlee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not sure about the 24" model since I was asking about the 30" model. I have another phone call to make on Monday and I'll see if they have any info on the 24" coming here.

The Bosch 800 can be had for between $1900 and $2100, plus there is a $300 mail rebate on top of that.

• eleena
    11 years ago

Oh, where did you see it for $1900?!!!

Please tell me!

AJ Madison has it for $2,244.60 right now.

• eleena
    11 years ago

I meant, $1900 before rebate.

• stahlee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just happened to look on the Lowe's site earlier today and they have it for $1947 or something close to that. You have to put it in the cart to get the price.

• eleena
    11 years ago

Thanks!

Would it be exactly the same appliance as sold by specialized appliance stores?

I have read several times that even if the model is the same, the internal parts may not be. E.g., the manufacturer uses plastic instead of metal on the models to be sold by discount stores like HD and Lowe's.

The sources were credible but I don't remember them.

• stahlee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is the same model that is sold everywhere. Lowe's is a Bosch dealer. You could find one of the 10% coupons and really be in business.

• eleena
    11 years ago

Good to know.

I'll look.

Thanks!

• lee676
    11 years ago

Bosch FlexInduction YouTube video

Please send us this 24"w version, Bosch. Contrary to what you think, not all Americans have huge kitchens. A 24" cooktop with small controls at the front and the burners spread along the full width often has as much space for cookware as traditional 30" cooktops with the rightmost 6" used for a row of knobs.

Still, this looks less versatile than the AEG induction hob sold elsewhere - the two round burners on the right are standard, the left side is a rectangular burner divided into 4 parts front to back, and uses only the one(s) necessary depending on what you place on it. Still looks cool though.

• stahlee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll ask if there is a possibility of a 24" model coming to US. It might be slightly less versatile than the zoneless models, but probably not that much. Those models only allow 4 positions at a time, no different than these models. On the left side zone, there is quite a bit of flexibility.

• eleena
    11 years ago

I called too and guess what?

The rep had never heard of FlexInduction, LOL.

So, I guess I'll be waiting for updates on this thread. :-)

• stahlee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I've received some different information on two calls. One, the FlexInduction is supposed to go on sale on Monday. Second, it may only be a 36" model. The 36" model is confusing since the other countries get a 24" and 30" model, why wouldn't you simply release a 30" model in the US. I have another callback coming this afternoon with more details. Hopefully the information we're hoping for.

• dan1888
    11 years ago

Induction has been withheld from the US market and only released as a premium priced product. This may be the marketting "logic" for a 36" only option. Let's hope we can get by this and start receiving reasonably priced broad ranging alternatives.
    I think it is ridiculous that US customers have not received any of the three generations of Maxisense AEG induction hobs when parent company Electrolux markets other products without difficulty in the US.
    A 28" AEG costs less than $1k with shipping from the UK. CE certification for US electrical standards included.

• stahlee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will be very disappointed if a 30" does not make it here. It's made for all other countries that get this model.

• stahlee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, sad news. The FlexInduction is not scheduled to be introduced until 2014. I actually was able to get information directly from the manager that is in charge of new model introductions. They have a quarterly meeting coming up and will discuss if they model will get pushed up, but it would be late 2013 at the earliest. Right now only the 36" model is set to go on sale, but I did make the case to have the smaller models introduced here to.

One thing noted, they said if you want other models to be brought here, we need to call and ask for them. It seems the 36" is just the model they feel most people want, but if they here from people that want the 30" and 24" models, then something might happen. I encourage you all to call and make the request.

Sorry if I got people's hopes up, I know mine were. I really wanted to order one.

• cj47
    11 years ago

Gary--I don't think the issue is aligning a pot with a circle. I think its the ability to put ANY shape pot ANYWHERE on the cooktop. Like a large, square grill pan, or an oval dutch oven or a very small pan that might not be large enough to "trigger" the hobs that are currently available. Or, how about putting a roaster on the cooktop to deglaze? The whole pan gets heated, not just the corners that fit on the hob. I can see a zoneless cooktop being great, if someone wants one and can afford it. When, on some day far in the future, I need to replace my beloved Miele induction cooktop, I'll definately consider one of these. By then they should be refined and pretty commonplace! :-)

• dan1888
    11 years ago

36" only--- once again we get a product aimed only at a small market segment as a high end option so the price will be signifigantly above what the same product costs in other markets when offered as part of a line which includes products to be purchased by everyone for all levels of kitchens. No sale.

• lee676
    11 years ago

The 30" FlexInductions are starting to appear elsewhere in the world:

This is getting close to what a 30" or 36" US model would look like - it's alot like the 300/500 series induction cooktops in style. Oddly, this one is actually more like 32" wide, and if you're thinking that translates into something even in metric - no, it's 816mm, which isn't a common size in Europe either. I'm guessing this accounts for the holdup to US sales, as it requires a 29-1/2"w cutout which wouldn't quite fit in a 30" cabinet, which would be a dealbreaker for many.

• boonsboro
    10 years ago

They are here now. Just put my order in today, just in time for my kitchen remodel. It is being marketed as the Bosch Benchmark Series here in the US. It is available in 31" and 37" and they come with and without the stainless trim. I ordered the 31" without stainless.

Next I need to figure out what island hood to get. Any recommendations for a quite hood?

• kaycee47
    10 years ago

boonsboro- would you mind sharing where you ordered your cooktop (and when you expect it)? We are calling around trying to order one and have had no luck! Very excited about this cooktop, and we are mid remodel, so sooner is better than later for us.

• dodge59
    10 years ago

The Flexinduction is NOT a zoneless induction cooktop, A-La AEG or Gaggenau.

You still have to put the pots and pans in the proper place.

It has a bridged area for really large pots & pans, ~~~~
    something that other manufacturers have offered for several years now, (Jenn-air) being one of them.

The Bosch does look nice and the price is "Reasonable"~~~well as "reasonable as any the Euro's are so kind as to export to us, here in the US!

Here is the model number for the 36 inch
    Bosch 36" Benchmark Series Black Electric Induction Cooktop - NITP666UC.

You can read about it by clicking the "helpful link" at the end of my post.

So You still have to line up the pots and pans but they can be bigger by using the "Bridged Hobs".

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: 36

• ondina
    9 years ago

Hello!
    I im in full process of kitchen reno and i was almost ready to pull the trigger for Miele appliances( 36 in induction,DW, Steam-convection xl oven and 30 in oven ) when i come across new Bosch Flexinduction cooktop and the other Benchmark items. Anybody knows more about how are in" real life"? i realize this line is very new.. cannot figure out if i should change my mind or not...
    Big question is: how big is the inside of steam-convection oven Miele xl vs Bosch..

• house-monkey
    9 years ago

I too am interested in the Bosch Flexinduction (30" for me)!! If you have real life experience with using this thing, please share!

Given their reputation with the 500, so close to pulling the trigger...

This post was edited by house-monkey on Mon, May 5, 14 at 19:51

• kaycee47
    9 years ago

Still waiting to install ours. Have had it since April 7 and it is still just sitting there in the box. Painful process, as I am keen to get cranking on this thing! I will post a review when we are finally up and running. After the window is installed, the backsplash installed, the countertop finished...

• abandy
    9 years ago

We just had our 30" flexInduction Bosch delivered today. It's really beautiful! I placed my comal on it, but it's wobbly (not completely flat) so I'm going to have my husband bang it flat so it will sit correctly.
    I'm with you kaycee47, we can't install it until we get the rest of the old cabinets out, the drywall touched up, the new drywall in, the section cut out of the butcher block, etc etc. I really hope to be done with most of this by Christmas.

• jquigley3
    9 years ago

Can someone that has used their Bosch FlexInduction Cooktop please post reviews. I've read a couple of comments from owners that it is not heating any faster than electric non-induction cooktops and that they are having to use higher settings than they thought they would have. I had high hopes of getting this cooktop but now I'm concerned. Comments from owners would very much be appreciated.

• abandy
    9 years ago

We installed our FlexInduction in December and I really love how fast and flexible it is. I have never used an electric non-induction, so I can't compare, but it is certainly faster than my old gas range. I can boil 2 cups of water in about 2 minutes, faster if the water is in a wide, shallow pan. Also, the house doesn't heat up as much now when I cook; I will really appreciate that feature this summer. I had read, when I was researching, that pans don't have to be pre-heated, but I didn't find that to be the case. I preheat my pans for a minute or two, much less than before, though. I really love that I can set the time and the burner will shut itself off when the time is up; which is great for rice and my pressure cooker (which I am still getting the hang of). There is a noticeable difference in how quickly I can get dinner done, it really feels like a snap now, compared to my gas range before.

• jquigley3
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for this review. This makes me feel much better about getting this cooktop. I'm very much looking forward to it. I hope you continue to have good luck with it.