Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me spend my money~ $10k for new kitchen

Posted by kwoody51 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 17:55

My wife and I are building a new house and I've been tasked with picking out the appliances. I thought a quick tour on CR would tell me all I needed to know... boy was I quickly informed otherwise via sites like this. Here's the run down.

Overall budget for appliances $12k (includes washer and dryer).
House will be lived in for years by us so not concerned with matching brands, I want the best "value" for each area.

I spent most of the weekend at the local shops and researching online. I thought I had a plan prior to this weekend but my data plunge has my head spinning, thus reaching out here for some help!

Below are my thoughts, please let me know yours!

Fridge - French door, standard depth
Whirlpool Gold GX5FHTXV
KitchenAid Architect Series II KBFS25EW
No ice in the door,
Do want internal water dispenser
Don't like all the space that the ice/ water in the door give s up.

Ovens - 30" double wall oven
Electrolux EI30EW45JS
Electrolux Wave-Touch Series EW30EW65G
Bosch 300 Series HBL350UC
Thermador ME302JS (only to pair with the cooktop to get the free dishwasher)

Cooktop - 36" 6 burner gas
Thermador Professional Series PCG366G
Electrolux ICON Designer E36GC75GSS
Electrolux ICON Professional E36GC76GPS - wife likes that knobs are straight vs angled on the designer
DCS Professional Series CPU366
KitchenAid KGCU467VSS

Was thinking sealed burner due to familiarity and seem to be lower price.

Hood - under cabinet or chimney style
Prefer something that's not jet engine loud but don't want to spend excess $$$.
Thermador Professional Series PH36HS
Can get a new one for $200 (off craigslist) but need to buy the motor, thus I'd be at ~$800 after the motor purchase

Dishwaher -
Bosch 500 DLX Series SHP65TL5UC
Have read about the love of Miele's on here so happy to look into them more if there is a beloved model that fits in my budget

Microwave -
Large(r) - something 1.6ft+
fine with counter top that could be placed into cabinet giving look of built in, so want something that has a trim plate as an option
Open to a drawer style, just don't want to "pay" for it :)

Washer and Dryer - wrong forum but let me know your thoughts
Whirlpool Duet Steam WFW88HEA
LG TurboWash Series WM8000H
Looking for a front loader, had great luck with my HE3 kenmore/ Whirlpool Duet that is ~10 years old.

That's it ... I know I could spend way more, or way less but apperciate the collective knowledge of this forum in helping me get the best bang for my buck!!

Thanks!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me spend my money~ $10k for new kitchen

For a quiet hood, you could consider a Kobe. I love mine, which I bought online after reading a recommendation on GW. Easy to clean, lots of nice styles, and now they come with LEDs. Usually recommended that if possible you get a 42" hood to go with a 36" pro style range, although not essential. It does give better capture, though.

I'm very happy with my Elux WaveTouch double wall oven, as are many on GW.

o

I'm also happy with my Elux Wavetouch double wall oven, for 3 years now. Watch for rebates, I received some percentage back on mine.

I have a Miele Dishwasher that I also love, found a discontinued model in a clearance room for half price. (!!) with full warranty. It really is all that and a cupcake, so what you read is pretty much true. I really like the third rack on top for silverware and utensils.

My cooktop is a Miele induction, so I can't help you there, other than to say that it totally rocks and I love it. :-)
Seriously, though, if you're looking at the Electrolux, again, watch for rebates.

I also have an Electrolux front loader set, and for the last year and a half it's worked very well for me. They also make the Frigidaires, I've heard, they're just a bit smaller.

I'll let others chime in on hoods--lots of discussion about those here, and with 6 gas burners you'll have some requirements to meet. Mine is a 42 inch, but it's not all that quiet, though I like the way it looks and works.

Best of luck to you! Have fun.

Cj

o

Since you are consider elux ovens- I love my elux FD fridge- no water through door. I snagged a 20% rebate a few years ago
I also have induction so no help there

o

Thanks for all the good info, keep it coming. I may have to look into a Electrolux fridge a little more. I know they currently have a rebate of $800 off if you buy 3 appliances or $1000 off if you buy 4 appliances.

Maybe I could do an Electrolux oven and a washer dryer set.

This is what makes it so hard the rebates lure you in... And away from getting "best in class" for each area :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here