Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolfc70

Finally Deceided on a Dishwasher.

wolfc70
15 years ago

Well after much debate and forum browsing I bought a replacement for my 20 year old In-Sink-Erator Classic Deluxe dishwasher. I bought a Bosch Integra 500 SHX55M06UC for $900 installed. I looked at every brand and was having a hard time deciding between the Asko, Bosch, Dacor and the Miele. I decided on the Bosch because I could get all of the features I wanted for $300-600 less than the rest, that and the service guy had nothing but good things to say about Bosch. He said they sell more Bosch than any other brand and have less repairs than all but Miele. Of course they were out of the black color so it should be here in about a week. I can't wait!

Comments (9)

• tyguy
    15 years ago

congrats!!! Although I am a big Miele fan, I am sure you will be delighted with your Bosch. Bosch was my runner-up choice as well. And a bonus feature with the Bosch, is the Bosch is assembled in the USA. Assuming you live in the US, that is a positive thing these days. Because of the frightening economic outlook right now, I find myself becoming more aware of were products are made. Hey, I am Canadian, and am glad you bought made in the USA....what is good my friends to the south is good for us, as our economies are so intertwined. I do have to admit however, that I do tend to be very highly attracted to German products too. With the Bosch you get German engineering with made in USA benefits. I wonder what percentage of components are made in the USA or Canada?

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really liked the Miele, I was looking at the Inspira series. If the Bosch had not been on sale (both had the same floor price), I would have gone the Miele route. But nowadays $300 is a big savings. The Asko was my first choice, but lots of sketchy reviews here and the fact that the service guy I talked to said "Asko, Oh No!" as the repair catchphrase did not really bolster my confidence. I hope Asko solves their quality issues as they seem like a nice well engineered product. The Asko had the best racks at my price point, second only to the Electrolux. I liked the Electrolux, but was leery of buying a new on the market appliance that holds water. (Bad experiences in the past). The Dacor was simply beautiful, I mean nothing even came close. But when I found out that their previous dishwasher design had been pulled from the market due to flooding, I walked away.

The Made in USA thing just is icing on the cake. Nothing wrong with foreign made products, but if people sneer at the Foreign name, I will just show them the shiny "Made In The U.S.A." sticker!

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After using my new Bosch SHX55M06Uc dishwasher for a few good runs, I can give a better review.
    It does an excellent job of cleaning. I mainly use the Auto wash mode, and things come out clean with no prerinsing. It is very quiet, you can hear it running, but only if within a few feet of the dishwasher. It is mainly a water sloshing sound, and a faint hum during filling as the solenoid opens. It is very flexible in loading, much better than my old In Sink Erator. Dishes are fairly dry with rinse agent, but my old In Sink Erator had a broken heating element, so I am used to having some water on my dishes, and it really does not bother me.

Overall I am really impressed with the quality of the Bosch, very good attention to deatils. My installer said they are very service friendly if they need it. I highly recommend looking at Bosch dishwashers! So far I am very satisfied.

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

I have had the same model for about three months now and have no complaints what so ever. Dishes are remarkably clean.

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am having trouble getting my detergent to dissolve. I am using about a teaspoon of Cascade and there is still undissolved detergent in the filter. Should I try a different detergent? I was thinking of trying the Electrasol dual action tabs. The water is getting very hot(145F on a meat thermometer) so that is not the problem, and the dishes are coming out clean. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

• paddy_99
    15 years ago

I have not tried Cascade powder in this washer but in a previous one I had the same problem but only with Cascade. All of the other powders I used were fine but about every fourth load the Cascade would be undissolved even though the door to the soap holder would be open.

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is pretty much what is happening. There was not much left, maybe 1/4 teaspoon after six washes. I am running the Auto cycle which uses a sanitizing rinse, so I would think that the hot water would dissolve the detergent. If I run a load with no additional detergent, the stuff is still in the filter. I think it is some type of filler that is not dissolving properly.

• wolfc70
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I bought the Electrasol Dual Action Tabs, and what a difference! No more stuff in the filter. Last night I had some people over for dinner and had lots of dirty dishes with baked on food. I put in one tab and ran the "pot scrubber" cycle and everything came out spotless. Wow, this thing can clean! Dishes come out fairly dry after it shuts off. I prop the door open and this seems to help with the last of the moisture. I think that Cascade has some type of filler that does not dissolve very easily, and gets caught in the filter.

• marciag
    15 years ago

Love my Bosch DW. I've had it for almost 2 years. Still quiet and highly effective. It cleans everything perfectly. We did have a clogged drain tube about a year ago. When the repairman came, he suggested the tabs -- told us to use only a half tab or to fill thedispenser only half full. We use cascade gel and half the dispenser is more than enough. Everything is spotless, even when I run out of Jet Dry.