Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m4rtin

Kitchenaid hood, can I use it and is it any good ?

M4rtin
10 years ago

We're currently buying KA dishwasher and fridge and KA has a promo to buy 3 appliances and to save 20% each.

I originally wanted some higher end hood for my 30" Bluestar but I thought to check out the KA for savings.
The ducting that I have is 6'', so not sure if I can use this range with the ducting, since it states 3 1/4" x 10" opening.
The length of my ductwork is around 20ft with one 90 degree turn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchenaid Hood

Comments (3)

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

To answer the specific question, there is no reason you can't use 3x10 vent ducting with a 30" Blue Star range or any other 30" pro-style gas range, for that matter.

But, did you maybe mean to ask about "this range hood" rather than just "this range"?

If so, the answer is a resounding "probably." ;>)

In theory, 3x10 rectangular ducting and 6" round ducting can be interchangeable. Converting couplers/adapters are readily available from most hardware stores and many hoods include adapter kits "in the box,"too. I suspect that will be the case with whatever KA hood your are looking at.

But -- there's always a "but" isn't there? --- whether you can use the proposed KA hood in your existing kitchen with the existing ducting depends on what type of hood you want and how your existing venting is arranged.

Can you give us the model number of the KA hood and be more specific about the existing set-up. For example, are you looking a wall-hung hood, a cabinet hung vent or maybe an Island vent?

This post was edited by JWVideo on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 23:27

• M4rtin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, the link to the hood is included in my original post above.
    This is a under cabinet install, venting goes up around 3 feet and then 90 degree turn and goes out through the house 18 feet through 1st floor ceiling.

Even though it says commercial, and 600cfm I'm wondering if KA makes good product as far as range hoods.

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Sorry about not being able to see your link. Dunno what is going on here but random links seem to be getting blocked for me lately.

600 CFM cabinet hung Kitchenaid hood: would that be the KXU8030YSS (30") or the KXU4236YSS (36") model?

If so, the Kitchenaid installation manuals specify "3ùâÂÂâ " x 10" (8.3 x 25.4 cm) or 6" (15.2 cm) or larger round metal venting." Thus, KA says that 6" round ducting is fine.

Going "up" from your hood should be an easy conversion from the rectangular output at the top of the KA hood. You should be able to install the rectangular to round converter/transition right at the top of the range hood after you remove a corresponding portion of the existing vertical 6" ducting. If you live in a cold climate, KA recommends installing a backdraft damper at the hood. I took a look at AJ Madison to see if one was listed as an accessory, but did not see one listed. Seems to me that i've seen generic 6" and 3x10 dampers at Lowe's or Home Depot, but have not looked recently. Also, you might try calling AJ Madison (or whomever the vendor is) and asking if they sell the rectangular-to-round transitions and backdraft dampers.

As for whether it is a good range hood, I don't have any first hand experience but hoods are pretty simple and there is not much that can go wrong with them. The one thing I noticed in the photos of the two KA hoods I mentioned above (assuming that those are the ones you are looking at) is that they have flat bottoms with the baffles occupying only about 50% of the base. That gives you a smaller capture "aperture" so the KA hoods will not be as effective as canopy hoods. But then, canopy hoods tend to be taller and your existing cabinets may not give you room to do something bigger or different. (That's how I wound up with a flat-bottomed Zephyr unit, myself.)

If you check out the link below, and particularly the post by Kaseki, you will find additional information that may help evaluate your choices. (Hopefully, you will be able to see my link.)

Here is a link that might be useful: hoods - baffles vs. centrifugal and other issues