Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help choosing package

Posted by ddr000 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 16:26

Like many on this forum, I'm struggling with picking appliance package for my new house build. I've narrowed it down to two options.

1. Thermador 48" SxS fridge, Thermador 36" 6-burner AG range, Thermador D/W, Thermador hood

2. SubZero 48" SxS fridge, Wolf 36" AG 6-burner range, Bosch semi-integrated dishwasher, Zephyr hood

The second package is $2,000 more. Wife and I are torn because Thermador range seems easier to use (sealed burners), and has better looks. We aren't gourmet cooks, oven gets used 2-3 times/year, but we want something nice. Wolf with semi-open burners seems outdated (looks-wise), and we're worried will be a pain to keep clean.

Thermador vs SubZero fridge -- we like SubZero better, though it doesn't have gallon bins in the door like Thermador does.

On top of this, we would be buying the Wolf stove that's about to be discontinued, so paying a premium for that feels odd. With Thermador all the handles will match, so aesthetically, should look a bit better.

We're really stuck and can't decide. Help would be appreciated?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help choosing package

Most of us here in Garden Webb do not subscribe to the "Appliance Package Concept". We buy the best appliance for a particular task, IE Cooking, Baking, Cooling, Dish Washing--etc etc.

I must admit that I'm somewhat "Perplexed" with Your "Logic" in this statement, "Thermador range seems easier to use (sealed burners)"----- How is a burner that will shoot the flames around the pots/pans especially medium to smaller ones, easier to use than---- an open burner like the Capital Cullinarian or Bluestar which heat the total of the bottom of pots and pans and continue to do it even when you turn the flame up???. At the very least you would need pots pans with better heat distribution to try to get "Semi even termperatures" across the pot/pan.

I can speak from experience on this with my outside DCS burner, alto it is not a true sealed burner, it's flame pattern emulates the flame pattern of most sealed burners, (IE most of the heat is directed at the outside of the pan)---so I have to keep stirring stuff from outside in, less that which is toward the edge of the pan will burn, I can do it, but it's sure a lot easier cooking inside on my induction cook top, just put stuff on the pot/pan and leave it be!---much easier!

If you really are serious about cleaning then you would be going with induction, it's a "Non Event" but from many videos and posts here in GW, These post indicate the open burners are much easier to clean than the sealed ones, read some of them for yourself.

"Old Technology" seems to be a concern for you??
Ask if the Sub-zero Fridge has variable speed compressors, I've seen posts where it says they Do Not. If that's so, they are one of the very few fridges left that use the old style "Full on/full off" compressors certainly not an efficient way to do things.

Good luck on your hunt, Do spend some time looking at post here in GArden Web on open vs sealed burners, etc etc.

Look at the Jenn-ari Fridges, they have been at the top of Consumer Reports reliability ratings (based on folks that "bothered" to fill out the owner's survey by CR, (Not CR's take on same). I have a 48" built in Jenn-air fridge and cept for an icemaker that went bad after about 5 years, It has been trouble free going on 7 years now.

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here