Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hillcountry_fairoaks

Bosch Dishwasher - Virtually Silent NO LONGER

Purchased a Bosch Dishwasher SHX45PO5UC for $1,000 for our new home in January 2010 - because of the virtually silent feature. We could not believe how silent the dishwasher was - only way we could tell it was running was to look for the red light on the floor.

About a month ago started hearing humming noises when I started the dishwasher and during the cycles of each wash and loud sloshing of water 30 feet away.

A bosch rep came out to the house after I contacted my builder. He was not very positive and was quite rude stating that the noise was common for a virtually silent dishwasher. The Bosch rep is going to check with the customer care division of Bosch to see if there have been complaints of noise and he did admit that there was water sloshing against the door for some unknown reason. Was told by my builder that he didn't think our one year warranty included noises.

Anyone else having loud noises from your VIRTUALLY SILENT

EXPENSIVE BOSCH DISHWASHER?????????

Comments (38)

• asolo
    13 years ago

Clearly something has changed.

Can you better describe the "humming noises"? Is it an electrical-type 60-cycle hum? Mechanical-sounding hum?

Sloshing noises making me think door not closed all the way. If there's a sensor/electric door-lock involved that could be the whole enchilada right there. Maybe open enough for sound to escape but not enough to leak. Maybe solenoid-lock failing to engage and buzzing because it's still trying to.

Obviously I'm fishing from cyber-distance. Not familiar with this particular machine but I do believe your noises are likely all the clues you may need.

• antss
    13 years ago

" he did admit that there was water sloshing against the door for some unknown reason. "

It's quite clear: water comes out of the spray arms that are spinning in a circle and some invariably hit the door.

And , what exactly is loud......and virtually silent?

Has anything else in your life changed? New dishes, load the racks differently, new rug, curtain, drapes,windows or other home improvement that may have changed the acoustics of your home?

No dishwasher is silent or even virtually silent - sorry folks.

• drywall_diy_guy
    13 years ago

We have a Bosch that started getting a little noisy after only a few months. Ours cost about $500. Also, the soap door would not open. After a visit from the repair guy (for the soap door) doing tests and finding nothing, he suggested "working the door back and forth every once in a while". My conclusion was hard water deposits. So we now run CLR every month or two. The door does not stick and the machine quieted back down. If you have hard water try CLR. Citric acid will also work.

• jakvis
    13 years ago

In service we are starting to see a lot of detergent and hard water build ups in dishwashers since the detergent manuafacturers changed their formulas to remove phosphates. This build up happens everywhere in the d/w including the pump impellers. If the impeller gets any build up they are no longer as light and balanced as they were when new therefore they vibrate a little bit and that comes out as noise.
    As mentioned above a citric acid clean out is the best way to handle it.
    GE and Whirlpool have already put out service bulletins regarding poor performing detergents and build up.

Don't be too hard on your servicer as this information is getting out to the field in just the last couple months.

• malhgold
    13 years ago

will an off the shelf "dishwasher cleanser" work or do you need to use citric acid. My Bosch seems to have gotten louder over the last year as well, but I was resigned to the fact that it's a DW, it makes noise. I'm just happy I finally switched to Finish tabs and my dishes are finally coming out clean!!!

• jakvis
    13 years ago

Most of the off the shelf D/W cleaners are citric acid. The liquid ones like Dishwasher magic are the easiest to use because you just put the bottle in upside down and it automatically dispenses at the right time. They have a small wax plug that melts when the water gets hot enough.

• applianceguide
    13 years ago

This sounds like typical Bosch customer service from our experience. We just did a Bosch 800 series review, which is significantly more money than this one. We were not impressed.

About the only thing you can do is hire a service company to see if there is something wrong. But that will cost you money as Bosch wont cover it. Until then, I wouldn't buy a Bosch D/W until they get their act together.

Anthony
    Appliance Buyer's Guide

• info501_aol_com
    13 years ago

Same problem with Bosch. Very quiet at first. Now same as typical dishwasher. We have very hard water.

• jakvis
    13 years ago

Again this is not really a Bosch d/w issue as it is a detergent issue. We are seeing hard water and detergent build ups on all brands of dishwashers. The build up on the pump vanes throws the impeller off balance and this causes noise.
    Run a citric acid cleaner such as Dishwasher Magic at least once a year but if you have really hard water you may want to run a cleaner every 6 months.
    It really makes a difference and I have all my techs carry d/w cleaner on their van stock.

Until the detergent manufacturers figure out what they need to do with their formulas you will see this problem.

Where we used to only recommend powdered detergent I now only recomment Enzyme detergents such as the Finish tabs or Quantum. These wil give you your best results.

• markbr
    13 years ago

Oh my god, I am so happy I found this thread.

We are in our second house on our second Bosch, we both the top of the line 800 model, the quietest one they offer, internal controls with display on the front.

Thsi thing started off near silent, and then a few months later we started to hear a loud swishing sound right near where the display is and sometimes it there is another internal noise that can get very loud, almost like something is knocking or hitting something.

I'm in Montreal, our water is normal, we don't need to use water softeners here.

We have always used those little rectangular pucks that are 3 in 1 that have the little red thing in the middle.

I've noticed the noise most when we use the longest cycle, Auto Plus I believe, I've also noticed the quietest cycle is now just the Regular one.

I've had technicians out 2 times and everyone says it is normal and to be expected, but that is very hard to swallow considering I had this machine for a period of a few months where the noise wasn't there.

If someone can solve this mystery for me, I would be eternally grateful.

I should also mention that I have run the dishwasher empty and without the racks and I have been able to reproduce the noise.

I stopped using the 3/1 soap with the red in the middle because the tech told me he thought it was getting in to the motor or something.

• surfkats
    13 years ago

I had a similar issue but after running some dishwasher cleaner, I think it was dishwasher magic, my d/w quieted back down.
    I'm currently using Quantum tabs but I think I'll run the cleaner at least once a year since I have a medium hard water.

• nerdyshopper
    12 years ago

Applianceguide: I just read your review and I am concerned because elsewhere in the appliance forum I read that with the new 800 series Bosch was determined to improve their product in reliability and had moved production of these models back to Germany to do so, and also that they were going out of production of all other consumer appiences to concentrate on that. If they still don't appreciate our concerns with service I may have to reconsider.

• anabel1013
    12 years ago

Jakvis, this is great information. I am getting ready to move in to a new condo that we completely gutted and are renovating, and will be leaving my Viking appliances behind. It's good to know how to prevent potential issues with the new appliances, but also wondering if this could cause issues with the drain. We have had issues with the Viking for about a year. It was used for only three years. Thanks.

• markbr
    11 years ago

Just to get back to this, Dishwasher Magic didn't solve this for me, neither did a new pump. Something keeps grinding near the beginning of the cycle, it wasn't like this when I first bought it, help please.

• uapilot
    10 years ago

Here's what happened to me. I installed a new garbage disposal and forgot the clear the plug out so the dishwasher would not pump out the water from the unit through the disposal. I got a lot of buzzing and sloshing. After removing the plug in the disposal, all is well. My thought is that maybe the drain line is kinked or blocked in your situation and that would cause the pump to buzz as it tried to remove the water and cause the sloshing because the water is not being removed from the dishwasher. Worth a check!

• suuzeka
    8 years ago

Yes, I just turned mine on tonight and was telling my husband how it has started running louder lately. I would describe it as a buzzing hum during certain parts of the cycles. I will try to descale it with the citric acid cleaners or CLR.Thanks!!

• asap68
    8 years ago

To "hillcountryfairoaks": A few days ago, our "virtually silent" Bosch dishwasher started having a loud "sloshing" sound when running, and we see water leaking out the top left and lower right corner. We replaced the door seal, carefully cleaning the seal channel. We are not blocking the opening which is in the middle of the right side, which we have read can cause a problem. Our dishwasher is level and plumb. It is not a blocked drain, etc. as this would not cause water to leak out the top. It seems the newly loud "water sloshing" and the leaking are related, as they both appeared at the same time.

Not sure what to do next; I hate paying appliance repairpersons $75 just to come to the house, whether or not they can (or do) repair the problem. I am hoping to see someone who had this same problem, and found a resolution; otherwise, we will replace this Bosch dishwasher with another brand.

• Meredith Brutkiewicz
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We bought our Bosch in June '16 and it started having this problem about a month ago. Not sure whether our water is hard or soft. Guess I will try running citric acid through.

• Thomas Walsh
    7 years ago

This happened to me two nights ago with 2010 vinatage. Searching Google with "Bosch" and "sloshing" didn't feel very hopeful but here you are. I have none of the associated leaking. Everything comes out clean and on time. In its life it once showed a drainage alarm, but that was easily fixed. It's bizarre that for years it's been completely silent and in a single day it's gone to sounding like the kitchen's going through a car wash. Or at least like it's finally doing something like cleaning dishes.

Any answers or guidance? Thanks and take care.

• User
    6 years ago

I know this is an older thread, but I am having the same problem with a Bosch 800 series DW installed in May. I am trying to "clean" it with Affresh tabs to see if it can help. I purposely purchased this Bosch for its 39 Db level.

The first 5 months the DW was very, very quiet and like others I had to check the light to see if was on. Now when it hits certain parts of the cycle, the humming of the motor is quite loud and the sloshing is very apparent as well.

I an using a decibel meter to record the sound levels. On certain parts of the cycle it is indeed under 39 (or hovers just above) but when it reaches the part where the sloshing is occurring the decibel level goes well into the conversation zone at 55 Db.

Has anyone solved their issue?

I have called in service but I assume it will be one of those things in which they tell me it is normal. Then why tout it is a 39 Db dishwasher?

• User
    6 years ago

It took two different service technicians but the cause of the increased noise was found. A thin wine glass broke and little remnants lodged in the circulation pump. For others experiencing a similar problem, perhaps this is the cause.

• lgstein
    6 years ago
    Our Bosch Benchmark is less than two years old. The motor and pump failed this winter. A technician replaced it. THE DISHWASHER IS LOUD ALL THE TIME. THE TECHNICIAN RETURNED AND TOLD US THIS IS NORMAL!

We are stuck with this piece of garbage. Impossible to have a conversation or even sit and read in the evening two rooms away from the kitchen because of this NOISE!

What are my rights as a consumer?

If you are thinking of buying Bosch...don't do it. Buy Mieie instead.

We feel that we have been cheated! Bosch has been completely unhelpful. Garbage!
  • Ivan I
    5 years ago

> drywall_diy_guy

> My conclusion was hard water deposits. So we now run CLR every month or two.

> The door does not stick and the machine quieted back down.
    > If you have hard water try CLR. Citric acid will also work.

@drywall_diy_guy,

What is your procedure with CLR or citric acid?

• Amy Biller
    4 years ago

Mine as gotten louder over time. First two months were silent and now it is making some weird noises.

• Ian Mash
    4 years ago

I totally agree with drywall_diy_guy.

I live in a region with very hard water. I clean the rubber seals around the door frame with lemon juice every couple weeks, paying extra attention to the "inside" of the seals. this is where the deposits collect the most and causing the machine to be louder than it originally was.

Sounds stupid and simple, but it works for me!

• grammieray
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I too have a silent Bosch dishwasher not a year old. I now hear the water sloshing against the door and there seems to a clicking sound (not from dishes). Today is the first time I have heard this sound.

• hamidreza mirzaei
    3 years ago

I have the same situation with my Bosch 800 series (42db). After a couple of months it started having all sorts of noises (humming and sloshing noise).

The technician came to check it out and said it is just normal!

What can I do? Anybody has been successful using cleaners or something? It is very frustrating!

• Jeanine Alcocer
    3 years ago

I had the same problem suddenly and when I opened it up there was a spatula handle that was keeping the door from closing with a tight seal.

• HU-399695822
    3 years ago

I’ve had same issue - its been quiet for years. Then someone foolishly put regular dish soap into it once (causing huge foaming) and ever since it’s been super loud.

• drywall_diy_guy
    3 years ago

An easy an cheap way to also combat hard water is to run your dishwasher empty until it fills with water. Open it and dump in a cup or two of vinegar. Let it run. Do this every month or so. We are still using our old Bosch!

• miriamrose
    3 years ago

We have really soft water. We installed this NEW dishwasher in may( only 8 months ago!!) and now is super loud at the beginning of the cycle. Does anyone know what the issue would be? So frustrating as it’s not even a year old! Any help is appreciated

• rosiedear
    2 years ago

I just had my new 800 series d/w installed. The installer set it to run a cycle without any dishes and left about 40 minutes ago. I’m sitting here and wondering why I need a red light on the floor to tell me it’s on when it’s so freaking loud. Once this cycle completes, I’ll load some dishes and pots and try a different setting. Since it’s supposed to “sense” the condition of dishes, an empty tub may make a difference. If there are fewer dishes, there may be more available space for water to slosh around. I’m hoping.

My old Bosch was a dream, and it performed beautifully and almost silently for almost 18 years before I had any issues. So I wasn’t really expecting this.

• boba1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I aquired my Bosch end of May 2021. I have the highest featured 800 series model with 40 dB rating. The installer started a quick rinse to make sure it was functioning correctly. Yes, I could hear all the water sloshing around quite well. Once I stuffed in all the dishes I'd been colecting for the previous 3 days, I ran it on Auto and Crystal Dry. I could barely hear any noise. I have foud that if the machine isn't fully loaded, it is noisier. And when I put pots & pans in, I can hear the jets of water hitting the inside of the stainless steel pans louder than anything. I just tell myself it's the powerful cleaning that's getting the job done. I've also discovered for lightly soiled loads as well as not totally full lightly soiled loas, I add the Delicate option and that quiets the cycle considerably. Otherwie, I just use th4e default settings of Auto and CrystalDry.

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

My Bosch Ascenta is not silent. Not terribly loud, but certainly not silent. We can tell it's running if we are in the kitchen, but it's not obnoxious. It's 14 months old now and is the same as it was when it was new in regards to sound level. Mine is the bottom of the line model, so I didn't have expectations of silence. Maybe that matters. The sound doesn't bother us though. Boba1 is right about when the dw is loaded tightly, the sound will be much less than when it's run empty or a lightly packed load.

• Cavimum
    2 years ago

> "I have found that if the machine isn't fully loaded, it is noisier."

Same with our 800 Series Bosch. It is fairly quiet but a half-full load is rather noisy.

• littlegreeny
    2 years ago

rosiedear, all dishwashers, regardless of brand or db rating will be louder when empty or partially loaded. Try running the dishwasher loaded and I'm sure it will be much quieter if not silent.

• Eileen Salamone
    last year

Yep, same issue here. First it starts buzzing then it gets louder like a stressed or obstructed impeller. I checked for impeller obstructions and it's all clear.