Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Changing from cooktop to rangetop - how hard?

Posted by atlnon (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 16:02

We are looking at buying a house. They currently have a 30" cooktop that needs to be replaced. We do a lot of wok cooking. Really have my heart set on either Capital Culinarian or Bluestar. Unfortunately, neither of them have a 30" cooktop, just a rangetop. How hard would it be to change from cooktop to rangetop w/o having to change the entire granite countertop? What do I need to look for to see if it is even possible? If the granite needs to be cut, can they do it onsite?

On a sidenote, I was also looking at getting the stainless steel high back since we've always splashed grease at our tile backspalsh at our last house. It drove us crazy since it's hard to clean. We end up putting up an old cutting board back there when we know we are about to cook something that splatters a lot. To my surprise, the CC dealer doesn't recommend the SS back bec according to him, it's hard to clean and scratches easily, and that I'm better off going with a tile backsplash with dark grouting. I have no reason to doubt him because he's giving up more sales by his recommendation (which impressed me). I just want to get your thoughts on this, especially those who had experience with SS back. Do you all have any other recommendation for the back?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Changing from cooktop to rangetop - how hard?

Granite can be cut on-site but it is a messy affair. Lots of stone dust goes everywhere.

o

It's not just the granite. The cabinet needs to be altered as well. And the vent. You'll need much more CFM and probably a larger actual vent pipe if that's just a consumer grade cooktop there. And, depending on the gas pressure that your utility runs and what else it supplies in the home, you may need to have a dedicated line from the meter put in as well.

All of that is much easier done during a full gut kitchen redo, but it is certainly doable as a retrofit if you can find the right cabinet person, granite fabricator, plumber with gas endorsement, and HVAC contractor. However, it will not be an inexpensive alteration to accomplish. Double to triple the cost of the rangetop, and you might be ballpark for the project.

o

Changing the vent to a 1200 CFM vent with corresponding MUA is already part of the plan. I know I have to get rid of the cabinets that are currently on top of the microwave/hood combo, but I'm assuming that is straightforward and should not affect the rest of the overhead cabinets. The cooktop and vent backs up to an exterior wall so there's no issue with having to add a vent pipe. I have not considered the natural gas lines. Is it common to have an existing natural gas line that is not sufficient for a CC or BS? I have not seen that consideration anywhere in this forum. Not sure what else I'm missing.

o

Regarding the possible need to upsize the gas line, call your gas company and ask what rating your line has. When I called mine, they told my line's BTU rating and asked me about other draws on the line, such as furnace, fireplace, outdoor grill, dryer, etc. The CS rep told me the average draw from a gas dryer and my furnace. I added in my new gas fireplace and CC rangetop and was still well under my line's max. Yes, your gas line capability is an issue (gets brought up here occasionally). Fortunately for me, that was one of the few things whoever built my house actually got right.

o

Stupid question but what is CS rep?

o

Sorry. "CS rep" means customer service representative. In my case, it was my gas company's customer service rep.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here