Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sail_away

Under-using my convection oven

sail_away
9 years ago

I have a convection oven, yet rarely use the convection feature. The oven will automatically convert temperature/time if I want to use it; but I seem to just use the familiar, regular oven most of the time.

What types of cooking do you find the convection oven to be particularly good for, and why?

Comments (15)

• weissman
    9 years ago

I use convection for almost everything. The only things I don't use it for are things that need bottom heat to rise - like souffles and popovers.

Fortunately, my oven doesn't change the temperature and I'm glad. I use the normal recipe temperature and watch the time - some things get done a little bit faster.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

I use it for everything too, have gotten used to it now.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

It really does cook food more evenly, I have never had mishaps with uneven cooking since I got it

• zzackey
    9 years ago

It cooks food faster. I always did steaks in mine and even a small turkey.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I used the convection function once while making cookies and the fan blew crumbs all over the oven. It also produced results that were inferior to the normal baking function. I don't use it anymore. Since my oven is not self-cleaning, I don't want to do anything that will create more work ... like blowing grease, splatters, or crumbs around the oven that will later need to be cleaned by me.

• cliffh
    9 years ago

For baking I use mine for layer cakes, cupcakes and cookies. I don't use it for heavy batter cakes or cheesecakes/custard type things. I use anytime I'm roasting meat, as I find it gives a nice crust to the meat and keeps it juicy. Not to mention it cooks a lot faster. I never use the automatic conversion feature. I tried it when I first got a convection oven and the results were mixed. I generally reduce the temp and monitor. My new range has true convection and so far I've been pleased with the results.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Jelly toast, what kind of oven is that - I've never heard of that particular problem (usually it's a complaint that they don't bake evenly).

• dadoes
    9 years ago

I use convection for some things (not everything). Cookies, yes, does quite nicely. Never had crumbs blowing around. Seems unlikely the air currents on my unit are strong enough to do that.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Had convection in my old Thermador wall oven for 27 years, (it was high tech in 1986) used it a few times when new, and never again. Same issues as jellytoast, splatters all over the oven and hard to clean off, and noisy. Never really noticed a difference in the way anything came out either.

When I got my Bluestar range 18 months ago, I turned on the convection fan once, and one listen to that annoying fan noise, I've never used it, and haven't missed it either...

• philwojo99
    9 years ago

Like other we use it for almost everything. We didn't have it before and so far everything we use it for comes out way better and more evenly browned, especially cookies.

Is there more noise, yes, but I don't have to open a door and flip around trays half way through cooking.

There are a few exceptions, as have been noted in previous posts, for when to NOT use convection, but in most cases it will provide a more even cooking experience and it is almost always going to cook things faster. That is why they tell you to either reduce the cooking temperature by 25F or reduce the cooking time by 10% and leave the temp the same. Those are guidelines, of course, and you have to learn your oven and what it does for things, but once you figure it out it is a great feature.

I have never heard of the crumb thing before reading this thread today, and we have a Wolf L-Series wall oven with dual convection fans and have never had that kind of issue.

Phil

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Convection yes = biscuits, cookies, muffins, chicken breast, frozen pizza, garlic bread.

Convection no = brownies, cakes, cheesecake.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

We use it for everything since it preheats so much faster. Never noticed any spattering.

Love that you can do three racks of baked goods at once.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

When I got my oven, I was very unsure of this feature. At the library, I checked out "All About Roasting" by Molly Stevens and dove into experimenting. The food turned out wonderfully.
    My oven doesn't have the conversion feature, which would irritate me. I know what temp I want! LOL

I use it for any kind of roasting. Veggies are wonderfully caramelized and meats have a lovely crisp/crust on the outside. Chicken with skin is a REVELATION with convection along with the technique of pre-salting and letting it dry out in the fridge for 24 hrs. We have roast chicken this way a couple times a month and we are all HUGE fans of the crispy skin. A caveat for roasting chicken, it does mess up the interior and you'll need to run the self-clean eventually. I know some people would rather not use it, but my oven has been fine.

I've started using it for my sandwich bread, too. I like to do 3 loaves for my family's lunches each week, with one in the freezer for reserve, and convection allows me to place 3 loaf pans on one rack and cooking is very even.

I was nervous about baking cookies this way but that was unfounded. I did two trays at a time (I only have two racks) and they cooked perfectly.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Every oven I've ever seen with a conversion feature has had the option to turn it off. That would be the first thing I'd do after buying a convection oven.

• dadoes
    9 years ago

I wasn't aware that the conversion feature can be turned off on my GE Profile. I checked the user manual per HVTech42's post above, and yes, it can be deactivated.

However, conversion is nothing more than the temp reduced by 25ðF from what is initially set. Easy enough to work around by setting it 25ðF higher in instances when the reduction is not wanted (or vice versa, setting it 25ðF lower if the reduction is wanted with the conversion feature deactivated). I had previously determined on my GE that temp conversion does not occur if a new temp is entered when convection bake is already running.