Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tacotac

Induction double oven range

Tiffany Marshall
9 years ago

I want one, why are they so scarce? Most seem to have been discontinued. I only see the Whirlpool one with wavering reviews depending what site you are on. Is this search a lost cause?

Comments (17)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>Most seem to have been discontinued

Huh? Who had one and discontinued it? I'm pretty sure Whirlpool was the first and only brand to have a double oven induction range.

Reviews always vary. Products with unanimously positive and unanimously negative reviews are rare. If you want a double oven induction range, you've gotta buy the Whirlpool.

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

A lost cause as hvtech says and as you feared. The only other double-oven induction range (in a 30" stove) was sold by Whirlpool under its Maytag brand, and that's the one that is discontinued.

How big a second oven do you need/want? If you can spare some counter-space and need only about 1 cu. ft. capacity, you might check out the counter-top, 120v, full-size Breville Smart Oven. (There are threads on it here, at chowhound and at eGullet from folks who got them as second oven alternatives.). There's also the slightly smaller Cuisinart CSO-300, a countertop combi-convection-steam oven. If that might interest you, it is the subject of a short thread here last winter as well as long, ongoing and mostly favorable thread on eGullet.

Definitely a lost cause as far as ranges are concerned.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Oh yeah I forgot the Maytag. Probably because it was the exact same thing as the Whirlpool with a different badge, LOL.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

You're already right at the limit of a 50 amp circuit's power pull with an induction range to begin with. Add in a second oven, and something had to give. When that something is the cooktop power, what's the point of buying the unit to begin with? Until the time that a 400 amp home service becomes standard, and a 80 amp circuit is standard for a kitchen, then you're limited by the current electrical capacity of the existing circuit. That means that the best and most powerful choice in induction isn't a range. It's a cooktop and a separate wall oven. So, do a cooktop and separate wall ovens if you want double ovens. Or the range and separate Breville, which is quite a nice little machine.

• Tiffany Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I may just have to look at induction ranges sans double oven. It was more of a convenience to me, but I would have a much better selection obviously if I just search for an induction range.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

What in particular did you not like about the Whirlpool, beside some of the reviews? If you want to find one that has all positive reviews, I'll save you the time and tell you that won't happen. Or if it does, it will be a brand new model that barely anybody owns yet that only has a couple reviews.

• Tiffany Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is true, nothing will be perfect. I guess you can say partly the reviews was the oven heating up, and, well, my oven now really sucks (probably needs a new heating element), so it that fact kind of alters my perception when I look at the reviews. But you are correct, it wasn't horrible, it does have 4-4 1/2 star rating for the most part.

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

Well, some complaints were about quality control and warranty problems, which, as hvtech points out, is the kind of thing you will see to some extent about virtually every brand of every manufactured product.

Other complaints are about design aspects. The Whirlpool/Maytag range has some design aspects that don't appeal to everybody. For example, it has an odd burner layout and there are only ten heat settings for the burners compared to the 19 or 20 that most induction ranges have. (Anybody here -- besides Gary Dodge and me -- old enough to remember GE's ten-button controls for coil burner ranges?) I've linked to a previous GW thread from last winter in case you haven't already seen that discussion of this range.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Whirlpool Double Oven Induction

• alerievay1
    9 years ago

Depending on your needs, Samsung has a new induction range in their Chef Collection that has a "Flex Duo" oven. It basically consists of a second oven bottom that you can slide into the center of the oven and create two oven spaces with the separate convection fans. It's limited to a 75-degree temperature difference, I believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Samsung induction range

• Tiffany Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my! I like this even better!!!

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

I didn't think of this as a double-oven, but I should have. It might just serve. Lots to like about this model. Definitely worth checking out if the expense is not a budget buster compared to the actual double-oven WP model. (Reports here have been that some internet vendor sites have had the Samsung Chef induction offered at $2500 but most other vendors seem to be asking $3100+). There are some design aspects to consider trying to research before making your decision, or at least things that would give me pause until I could sort them out.

1. Most induction ranges, including Samsung's freestanding models, have 19 or 20 settings for the induction hobs. The owner's manual for this one, however, only mentions 10. Don't know whether this is just an instructional artifact of the manual or if the range actually is limited to ten settings as with the WP product with which this discussion started. Might be important if you do much with low temp settings. I think about this because of how frequently I use pressure cookers.

2. The stove-top is more spacious than most other slide-ins, but the trade-off is that the oven vent is a narrow slot on the front of the stove, just beneath the left side of the oven control panel. The concern is that this location might make the oven control panel and the #2 burner knob pretty hot. All the "Flex-Duo" user reports I've seen were about free-standing ranges with the oven vent at the back with a bigger and full-width vent. Maybe the "Chef" model's oven-control-panel has a powerful cooling fan? If so, one wonders: will it be noisy and/or obtrusive?

3. I think I saw something about the 75F max difference that alvieray mentioned, but it may have been about the flex-duo oven on one of Samsung's freestanding radiant smoothtop ranges or possibly about the NE599NOPBSR freestanding induction range which was only marketed in Canada. Both could be worth researching further to get a better handle on how well the flex-duo concept works in practice.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Fri, Oct 10, 14 at 19:37

• alerievay1
    9 years ago

I'm basing the 75F degree difference on the manual at the link above. There's a chart in the manual that has the max ranges for each "oven."

I am strongly considering this over the Bosch, but the issues you raise are concerning.

• Tiffany Marshall
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They must be brand new. I've only seen one review on this one so far...5 stars. That's good to start, but I hope to see more in the coming months.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>They must be brand new. I've only seen one review on this one so far...5 stars. That's good to start, but I hope to see more in the coming months.

I can predict them already... On Amazon it will have one star, since nobody actually buys appliances from them and it's just used as a place for people to unload their complaints. Everywhere else, it will have mostly 4 and 5 star reviews from happy customers, with a few 1 star sprinkled in saying that it broke 50 times in the first 2 weeks and the customer service sucked.

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

>>>"They must be brand new"Yup. The range was announced at the beginning of August. Seems to have started shipping to vendors in September.

alvieray: Please note that I raised the issues as things to find out, not as definitive pronouncements.

hvtech: The voice of experience!

This post was edited by JWVideo on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 1:31

• alerievay1
    9 years ago

Totally understand, JWVideo. I use pressure cookers, too, which is part of my concern. The manual doesn't suggest that there are half steps, either.

• boba1
    9 years ago

Electrolux offers a slide-in range with a 2nd oven located where most warming drawers are. Cooktop controls have more than 10 increments.

I currently have a Breville Smart oven and love it-it is my "2nd oven". Have had it for about 4 years. Use it for 85% to 90% of my oven needs. The only thing I don't like about it is you cannot put glass lids on casserole dishes, if you wish for something to be covered while it bakes, you have to use tin foil. It's good size4 oven--holds SOME 9 x 13" pans, if they don't have handles. It can easily accommodate my 4 qt. and 5 qt Corningware casserole dishes.

But I know I need to eventually replace my 30-year old Hotpoint range and was really considering induction (since I have an all-electric house). Ranges with 2 ovens, most arrangements have the smaller oven on top and the larger one below. That 2nd lower oven is really low to the floor and a turkey might be difficult to lift out of that lower oven.

GE has a slide-in (and produces it for Sears for their Kenmore Elite line) that has dual ovens that are equal size and both ovens have convection. The top is a radian glass cooktop, which I dislike. I wish GE would come out with an induction version of this model, it would be "perfect".

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrolux slide-in double oven induction range

This post was edited by boba1 on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 12:10