Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repair or replace next time?

Posted by kokomo61 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 15:59

Posted already in the 'buy next time' thread....but here's a question for the group.

I have a Kenmore Elite 13183 dishwasher - stainless steel all around, hidden touch controls, but reliability and wear have been an issue. I've had to replace a number of items, including:

Door switch
Hi-temp fuse
Soap dispenser
Drain pump

And the racks have been the most fragile I've ever seen. I've lost a number of the vertical tines from breakage, the top rack has frayed edges at the front and is showing signs of rusting out, etc.

I've had a number of problems with not draining. While the Cancel/Drain cycle works fine, many cycles end with standing water in the bottom. I've checked all the hoses for blockages, and none were severe beyond normal food gunk. I've ran several cycles with baking soda / vinegar, replaced the drain pump, and it seems to be working better.....but since this is the 2nd time it's been backed up, I might be putting a DNR tag on it for the next repair.

Anyone with this dishwasher or similar issues have any advice on how to keep it working longer (about 6-7 years old), or to plan for its replacement? If replacing, what would you replace it with?

Thanks in advance....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repair or replace next time?

That DW is in it's golden years, it's not designed to last 20+ years.

New:

Bosch, Miele, Asko, Thermador or Gaggenau

Going to coat roughly twice what that Kenmore was before you started buying extra parts for it.

o

That DW is in it's golden years, it's not designed to last 20+ years.

New:

Bosch, Miele, Asko, Thermador or Gaggenau

Going to cost roughly twice what that Kenmore was before you started buying extra parts for it.

o

I checked the MFG date on the dishwasher - built in November 2008, installed probably in Dec/Jan of 2008-9, so it's barely 5 years old. I'd expect it to be about 1/2 way through its lifespan, not ready to be sent to the junkyard.

At the end of the day, I need a dishwasher to do one thing. Keep me from having to wash dishes by hand. I'm frustrated that as I spend more on the initial dishwasher, the repair frequency has gone up, and lifespan has gone down. This dishwasher cost $800 new on sale. I can't see spending $1K+ for a dishwasher that's even less reliable and holds fewer dishes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here