Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkodimer

Any KitchenAid Architect II Wall Oven Users???

mkodimer
16 years ago

Okay, i am deciding between the KitchenAid Architect II (blue inside, 1 glide rack, etc.) and the Electrolux Icon SINGLE WALL OVENS. I really like the size of the KitchenAid and find the user interface to be very clear. However, i have read (on this site) about the problems with the previous Architect. Do any of you have the new Architect II oven? Could you please tell me whether you like it? Would you recommend it? What are the pros/cons? Has the self-cleaning issue been fixed? Thanks so much!!

Comments (22)

• whenzuc
    16 years ago

I just looked at both the architect II and the Electrolux Pro oven, micro convection , and Heating Drawer.
    I went with a measuring tape looking for the differences. The differences I found to be slight .1 cfu.
    I choose the Electrolux because I like the way the oven looks- large glass front,and I like the pro handles. All three racks are on glides, and the oven seems to get great reviews. Either oven was a possibility for me.

• charlyinfl
    16 years ago

mkodimer, I have the new Kitchenaid double wall oven for 3 months now. I really like it. The various functions, bake, broil, convection all deliver nicely baked or roasted results. I find that the oven temperatures are very accurate. The meat probe is an asset too. For cake baking I always preheat at least 20 minutes.

I've used the self-clean cycle once all went well. Actually, this is my 2nd Kitchenaid oven, this is in our newly built home. In our previous place I had the single wall oven and it was fine too. No problems.

The new oven has the all glass door which is very sleek and the gliding roller rack. That roller rack works well when I have my large heavy roaster in there. Otherwise, I find the standard sliding racks fine for regular baking etc. The convection fan panel is very slim, so the oven can handle good sized cookie sheets and pans. Since this model has the hidden bake elements, you cannot line the oven floor with foil or other drip trays.

The controls are easy to use and the cooling and convection fan sounds are barely noticeable.

The Kitchenaid ovens have a 5 year warranty that is worth noting.

• mkodimer
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thansk guys,
    i really appreciate both replies. i am having a really hard time deciding between the Electrolux and Architect II. Good to know the KA is quiet. Whenzuc, is the Electrolux oven quiet as well? It's hard to assess the subtle differences between the two without actually using them so i really appreciate your first hand experience. Thanks again!

• coolmom1
    16 years ago

bump

• coolmom1
    16 years ago

Regarding the self-cleaning issue in some older model KA ovens, some of you may be relieved to hear that apparently the issue has been resolved in the new Arch. II Series. According to the Whirlpool/KitchenAid rep who spoke with my appliance salesperson, the new models have been completely redesigned with many new features such as the concealed bottom element and new blue interiors. The self-cleaning issue should not be a problem with these new ovens. Has anyone heard the same or anything else?

• vitta_2008
    16 years ago

Has anyone heard about the glass on the doors of the new Kitchenaid art. II. I just went to see them and it is a triple glass with openings cant moisture and dropped food get into it. Is this a design flaw?

• chemdance
    16 years ago

I currently have a KA double convection. I like it. I am moving and need to purchase a new oven. I am considering the electrolux becuase of the gliding mechanism and the great things I have heard about it. It doesn't seem to have a meat probe like the KA a feature I will miss. But the KA only has one gliding rack and the mechanism does not appear to be a smooth. I will also have to get a new refrigerator and I think the KA frig is better any ideas obout that.

• jalk
    16 years ago

According to 2 of my appliance guys who have sold many many things to family members (and I'm NOT buying from him) - the KA issues have been resolved. There are other lines out there that he steered me away from due to companies merging and horrendous servicing issues.

I don't think the glass is a problem vitta 2008.

• vitta_2008
    16 years ago

Thank you jalk. Could you tell me which lines they steered you away from. Because if I dont choose the KA, I was contemplating the Electrolux ICON. Thx

• jalk
    16 years ago

I am sure I will get blasted when some people read this... but anyways.

Bosch. I'm in the northern suburbs of NYC and the appliance stores I went o were reputable, with higher end stuff. 2 owners said def. KA - solid products. you can email me at hrlk722@yahoo.com and I'll tell you more!

• vitta_2008
    16 years ago

Jalk---Thanks I just sent you an email!

• carlylake
    15 years ago

Anyone contemplating the purchase of a Kitchenaid oven, the new one with the blue interior and hidden lower element, should be aware of what I consider a very serious design flaw with this appliance.

The upper element (the broil element) comes on intermittently when baking (thermal only, not convection). This is clearly stated in the instruction manual (and can be viewed online at the KA site).

Everything overbrowns....cakes don't rise properly because the top sets too soon. Pizza is impossible (even on the lowest rack) because of the high heat required and the top element being on much of the time. A large turkey in a covered roasting pan even over-browned after just 1 1/2 hours!

I will say that the convection oven works fine, and the broiler is ok. I've run the self-clean cycle once with no problems. But I sure do miss not being able to bake cakes and make pizza.

BTW, the manual, and the customer service rep, both say not to place anything under the broil element to shield the food from the heat of the top element...so there's no solution.

I have the since wall oven, and it's built in, so I'm stuck with it. I wish I'd done more research and bought another brand.

Carly

• paso
    15 years ago

Also turn on the KA ovens before buying...the heat blows like a fan directly on you if you are standing in front of them and that is with the door closed. We did not purchase them because f that reason.

• charlyinfl
    15 years ago

Carly, I have the ovens mentioned but have not had the problem you've described. In fact I just baked a pound cake this morning and it turned out beautifully.

Are you preheating your oven at least 20 minutes? This is especially important with baking of all kinds. Once the oven is up to temperature the oven only comes on briefly from time to time to maintain the temperature. I don't see that it is on long enough to make the coil glow red.

Another thing to consider is the placement of your oven rack. My tube or Bundt pans are placed on the lowest oven rack position. Sheet cakes, cookie sheets, pizza pans are placed on the middle rack position.

As far as warm air blowing out of the oven, yes this oven does move air from above the oven door. My previous Kitchenaid oven blew air out from under the door. This seems typical to all wall ovens nowadays.

• carlylake
    15 years ago

charlyinfl,

Yes, I do preheat my oven, more than 20 minutes, even tried 50 minutes, hoping that it would help, and I think it did, just a little. But the upper broil element still cycles on and off and over-browns just about everything. Piecrusts are terribly over-browned at the edges (could use a ring of foil to help that I suppose, but never had to with my older Thermador).

I placed my pizza and cakes on the lowest rack. Cakes didn't rise much and pizza was brown and all dried out (baked at 500 degrees, which explains it).

I have talked to KitchenAid customer service and they say "it's normal", and won't send a serviceman.

I know it's not just me because I've read several similar complaints about this oven on the 'net.

Charlyinfl - do you have the latest model with the blue interior and covered lower element?

And btw, yes the hot air does blow out of the oven at the front, but I know it has to go somewhere, so that doesn't bother me much. But my old Thermador vented to the outside and I could use the oven even in the hottest weather without heating up the kitchen. Seems like no manufacturer makes that kind anymore.

• fmanji
    15 years ago

Just to be clear, do you own the KEBS version, with one Convection, and one Thermal oven?

Because unless someone owns this version, what you mentioned is not an issue. The convection ovens work great...

• carlylake
    15 years ago

Yes, I own the KEBS177, and I agree that the convection oven is fine...makes great bread and cookies....but not cakes or souffles.

• charlyinfl
    15 years ago

Carly, yes I have the most recent Architect II wall oven with the Cobalt Blue interior, ball bearing rack and the all glass oven doors. The bake coil is concealed just as it was in my previous Kitchenaid oven in our old house.

I can't imagine what is causing your problems. My oven works just great in all functions. As did my other oven and equipment. Thats the reason I confidently selected this oven and my other Kitchenaid appliances when we built this place.

We do a lot of baking; cakes, cookies and pies always reliably turn out well and very close to recipe suggested times. Meat roasting works well with the convection. I only convection bake cookies & pies (fruit, meat & pizzas) as I prefer standard baking for cakes.

I wonder if your bake coil is working. Maybe its trying to heat with just the broiler.

C

• carlylake
    15 years ago

charlyinfl,

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I was excited when I read your post and could hardly wait till this morning for my (engineer) husband to test the oven. If the bake coil wasn't working it would explain everything.

Alas....it's working fine. At least it's heating up as expected. I called KitchenAid for service tho, because the bread dough proofing function doesn't work at all...the oven doesn't get the least bit warm...and I'm hoping that the serviceperson will have some ideas about the other problem too. (Kitchenaid says it's normal for the broil element to come on while baking, and didn't offer to have someone look at it.)

This must be my bad day tho...Kitchaid aid phone customer service say "offices temporarily closed"...and their online scheduling service is also not working.

But I'll persevere with this, especially since you say yours works fine. I sure hope it's fixable. Did I mention that my big Christmas turkey was all brown and dried out on top in just 1 1/2 hours, at 325 degrees, with the roast-pan cover on!

If I can't get this resolved I think I'm going to bite the bullet, pay for a new oven and the cost of building it in, and get back to normal in my kitchen.

Thanks again for trying to be helpful. I'll keep you posted.

Carly

• carmela39
    15 years ago

BUMP

• djstoner_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Just had my KitchenAid Architect II double convection ovens installed and while the technicians were still there the bottom oven glass exploded at 300 degrees. KitchenAid will only send new glass. Not a new door. I am extremely upset. I paid a lot of money and now my oven is used and I didn't even get to use it. I am so upset. I should have gotten a new door. Never buy a KitchenAid!!!!

• roncini_aol_com
    12 years ago

I need to purchase a new 30" single wall oven. I would really like to buy the Kitchen Aid single convection oven, but am concerned by the negative reviews I've read on the self cleaning element and about breaking glass. Anyone with experience with a recently purchased KA single wall oven?