Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
podo98

Best in Each Class

podo98
14 years ago

I know this includes subjective data, but cost aside, what is the best brand/model of appliance for each catagory:

Comments (94)

• moelarrycurly
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have been reading a lot about the "kamado" style grills. Very nice, but you have to be careful which brand you buy.

www.kamado.com = bad
    Just google Kamado customer service.

After some digging I found a pretty good looking one. www.komodokamado.com. A little more expensive but a better product.

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

Mine was bought five or six years ago when the family was still in Sacramento, CA. It certainly is possible that their quality has changed since then, and they were flaky (though responsive and fair in dealings) back then.

As mentioned in another thread, I would be open to purchase from a different vendor that was able to step in with a high quality product that could provide a better overall experience.

• moelarrycurly
    14 years ago

I sent an e-mail to Kamado a few weeks ago asking about purchasing a grill. No response. After reading about them on other sites I'm glad I did not get a response and proceed that route. I wouldn't want to take the chance.

I'm sure the grill itself cooks the food decently.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

Wow. This thread is the ugliest GW has ever had to offer. An open invitation for the nouveau riche to display their vulgarity. Were some of you raised in a barn?

Thank god most of the forum is nothing like this.

• neesie
    14 years ago

This is my first time at the appliance forum. I am planning on replacing my appliances within a year or so. But I don't think my skin it thick enough to hang out here!

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Neesie - please don't think that. This Appliances Forum is actually really helpful. Lots of amazing expertise that you would NEVER get in an appliances store, and will save you both money and aggravation over your appliances purchases. Every once in a while you get a thread like this one where people rub each other the wrong way. Actually, most everyone on this thread, with the exception of Hotchpotch and Marcolo, has posted wonderfully helpful and knowledgable advice in the past.

I don't know why Marcolo is always angry. If you look at his posts, you will see that he is railing about something or angry. I'd like to see the "kinder gentler" Marcolo some time.

• User
    14 years ago

Boy ..................this one's got some legs, doesn't it?

• scrapula
    14 years ago

I've been either posting or reading here on Garden Web for the last 9 years. I've never seen anything like this here.

People seem to argue most abou personal opinions, whether it is politics or appliances. I like to cook, but I'm not a pro. I did notice a huge improvement in my meals when I switched to All Clad pots and pans. I used. Circulon before that and still do when I need non-stick, but it does not heat or retain heat as well. I'm sure that there is a similar difference between appliances.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

akchicago, unlike some folks, I don't research people's past posts to see if there's an ongoing problem, like with reading comprehension for example. In this thread, it's pretty clear that the posts antss was arguing with were absolutely outrageous--not the norm for this forum.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Marcolo, I didn't "research" your posts. I simply have read and remembered yours over the last few months as you've posted them. I remember them in particular because you seem always to be indignant about something, used terms like "MOFO" and the "b" word. That makes you stand out. It's a free country--be yourself, say what you like. But it scares some people. I was only hoping Gardenwebbers new to the Appliances Forum weren't scared off, afraid that if they post they'll be skewered. I'd like to think that the purpose of this Forum is to help people and share experiences. There are hundreds of threads here that are helpful and full of information and I am hoping people realize that.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

I remember them in particular because you seem always to be indignant about something, used terms like "MOFO" and the "b" word.

Don't misrepresent my posts. That was a joke about an overly-loud marmoleum sample that seemed to scream because it was so bright. The OP in the thread LOL'd at what I posted. You don't seem to read very carefully before incorrectly restating what other people are posting (which you've done twice in this thread), so perhaps there's really no need for you to keep doing it.

Oh, and if I scare off anybody who plans to come on here and insult another poster's oven as an ugly "bucket of bolts" while bragging how rich they are, good. But I doubt anybody's scared of little old me.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Marcolo, this is what I mean. First you chastise me for "researching" your posts, then you chastise me for just going on my memory. Might make someone scared that no matter what, you'll criticize. Again, it's a free country, but your "little old me" description is disingenuous. I looked at ("researched") the Marmoleum post you cited. You are right, the OP LOL'd. Someone else called you a troll. C'mon, don't you agree that your posts tend to be more on the indignant irate side than just giving advice and opinion?

Anyway, I think we're just engaging in contradiction at this point, and I'd much rather discuss appliances and kitchens. I won't post again on this thread. I'll continue to read your posts with interest.

• benjayva
    14 years ago

Wow, and to think I just wanted some sound appliance advice. I must be on the wrong forum. Redoing my kitchen will be much easier than keeping up with you guys. Adios

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

Don't get scared off. This was a scary thread but there are some great ones out here and tons of info. I have learned so much.

• User
    14 years ago

Is this one back again ???

• mojavean
    14 years ago

Ghosts of conflicts past?

I am not sure why anyone stuck the pitchfork in this pile of clippings. It smells like there's a dead cat in there ...

Does anybody make a gas or electric oven that you can dial up to 800º without having to break the self-clean door interlock? That is what I would call best in class!

• sportsrx
    13 years ago

this thread is far too classic not to bump :)

• plumorchard
    13 years ago

Ohhhhh, interesting early posts here!

• davidro1
    13 years ago

One of several things I notice
    is that some people cannot elevate the level of their speech.
    They get into downward spirals easily.
    They cannot get out of them.

• mojavean
    13 years ago

This thread gets resurrected more times than Jesus at a Georgia camp meeting.

• User
    13 years ago

moja - the earliest, largest, and most fervorish meetings were in Kentucy.

thought this one was pretty much buried.

• nishka
    13 years ago

Whew!! I feel like I need a shower after reading this thread....

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Wow, I forgot all about this thread. It's annoying that Sportsrx resurrected it. Anyway, I am re-reading my posts on this thread, and feel really bad about my back-and-forth with Marcolo. I've sincerely liked Marcolo's posts since this thread, and feels s/he contributes a lot to this forum and the Kitchens Forum. I think the overall tone of this thread just must have made me testy. Marcolo, are you out there? I'm sorry!

As an aside, I think the post from Hotchpotch's wife is the most cringe-worthy. That stuff about their acreage, stables, riding arena, a year round brook (vs. a seasonal brook? what's a year-round brook?), and the use of the word "nestle".

• mojavean
    13 years ago

Actually, we can put a stake in the heart of this thread by replying to it 82 more times.

(For the benefit of those new readers unfamiliar with some of the quirks of the Gardenweb site: once a thread reaches 150 posts it can not be appended to further. Because the system will allow no more new posts, there is no way for it to be promoted to the first page anymore. Thus, it sinks into the La Brea of history. Individuals may still find it via search, but they cannot raise it up from the dead and prop out on the stoop anymore. Best they can do is post a link to it.)

Just sayin' is all.

So let's have another couple of grabasses on here and kill this thing for good.

I'll start off: Hey Antss, your momma wears combat boots!

• sportsrx
    13 years ago

Akchicago,

Sorry to annoy, found it amusing

Moja-I'll help it get to 150 to stay in good graces :)

• mojavean
    13 years ago

Let's see, where did I leave my hammer ...

• les_bailey
    13 years ago

Am I #71?

Just wanted to help en route to 150. I actually thought I'd peruse the thread & see if somewhere, possibly, there was a discussion about what appliances are "best in class". Subjective yes, silly me. But it's keeping me active while waiting for our plans to be drawn....

""This thread gets resurrected more times than Jesus at a Georgia camp meeting."" LOL.

• mojavean
    13 years ago

Why yes you were! Tell your friends and tell your neighbors to stop on by and say hi at "Best in Class!"

• kaysd
    13 years ago

Well now, that was an entertaining read. LMAO re the Georgia camp meeting. I recall being dragged to a few tent revivals in my youth (and shudder at the memories).

• mojavean
    13 years ago

Almost half way there.

Hey! I'm on a horse!

• fabbric
    13 years ago

Adding nail number 75(?) in this coffin.

• mojavean
    13 years ago

What did the Zen Master say to the hot dog vendor?

• User
    13 years ago

"I think the post from Hotchpotch's wife is the most cringe-worthy. "

that's why they got smacked in the mouth and were sent packing

• attofarad
    13 years ago

So, antss, are you going to list your favorites, or just pick at the choices of others?

• mojavean
    13 years ago

"Make me one with everything!"

• friedajune
    13 years ago

OK, I'll be #80.

Nobody answered my question above - Hotchpotch's wife bragged about their "year round brook". What is that? Is there such a thing as a seasonal brook? Am I too middle-class to discern the differences among classes of brooks? Does she mean it doesn't freeze in winter? Well, that's just a function of climate, so why brag about it? I am confused.

• westsider129
    13 years ago

In the interest of moving things along here, I'll check in at #81.

akchicago:

I think there may be seasonal brooks. In Northern Westchester, NY, near my parents' house, there are "brooks" (we always called them streams) which run fully in spring after the winter melt, and by end of summer are a trickle, and dry up in the fall. I don't know if that qualifies.

• covingtoncat
    13 years ago

This could have been a very informative thread if it hadn't turned into a p*ss*ng contest. I do appreciate the attempts at humor in the later posts.

Adding my efforts to send this off to tar pit history.

• sportsrx
    13 years ago

#83 seems fitting for me to check in & ask akchicago if my apology for annoyance was accepted?

• Jon T
    13 years ago

Doing my bit

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

How do you fit an elephant in a size 9 dress?

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

I guess I have to answer my own joke.

"Tell her it's a size 6".

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Westsider129 - thanks for clearing up that brook thing.

Sportsrx - of course.

• plumorchard
    13 years ago

I'll play - #88.

Would have checked in sooner but since I live in GA I was hanging out at the summer camp meetings!

• pvel
    13 years ago

OK, Here is my Best in Class question. Kenmore Elite brand of cooking ranges, cooktops, refrigerators etc score well in Consumer Reports lists. Are these pretty good appliances or not? I am building a home and have to purchase kitchen appliances. Thanks, Paul

• sportsrx
    13 years ago

As long as we are doing this, how bout best wine fridge? Preferably full height not undercounter. Subzero looks real nice but the price looks real mean :)

• plumorchard
    13 years ago

Why is that IKEA appliances (Whirlpool) offer a 5 year warranty and everyone else offers 1 year?

• colorlady
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh. I just laughed till I cried over this thread. Some of you have some seriously funny and intelligent comments here. Can anyone tell me where on GW I might find threads where people discuss mid-range applicances like KA, Electrolux, Jenn-Air, Frididaire, G.E. etc. etc. Or am I in the wrong place? I'm not in the position to buy applicances that cost what I would pay for a good used car and to be honest, I'm so frugal I wouldn't even if I was. I can certainly see the need for people spending that kind of money to exchange opinions and seek suggestions from others and I'm not knocking it but I'm left still wishing I could find threads where I can get advice on range hoods under $500 and cooktops under $1000.

• amcook
    13 years ago

NNNOOOOO!!!!! I thought this thread had died!

I swear, this thread has more lives than 100 cats.

To you question.. yes there are discussions about midrange appliances. Kitchen Aide dishwashers for instance are often discussed here even though most would recommend Meile if you have the money. I think when it comes to ranges/cooktops under $1000 and hoods under $500, there's just less to discuss. They all perform about the same and there's typically not a whole lot to differentiate one from another. It just depends on what brand you find more appealing. BTW, I wouldn't put Elux in the midrange category. Also, the other larger brands like GE have a wide range of products that span all the way from budget to high-end. For instance a GE Monogram 48" range is not far in price from Wolf, Capital, Bluestar, etc.. They may have different features but they are certainly in the same price class.

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

i must admit, i started a thread like this when i first joined GW (maybe 5?) years ago. i've been sorry ever since and try to post with caution whenever i even muster the NERVE. gotta tell you though, i still haven't gotten the hang of it. it's a minefield over here for sure.