Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jr3andb_gw

Do I need a liner for a ventilation insert?

jr3andb
11 years ago

Building a home. Selected a 36" pro-line 6 burner Kitchen Aid gas range top with total BTU of 90000. Above the unit will be custom hood cabinet that is 55 inches wide. Builder says that I don't need a liner. That I just need to pick out an insert and the cabinet guy will cut the appropriate cut out to accomodate it. The two units that have been suggested by the builder are

Zephyr AK8200AS:

Width : 29 13/16"

Depth : 15 13/16"

Height : 16 7/16"

Best by Broan PK2238

Width : 38 7/16"

Depth : 15 13/16"

Height : 11 1/2"

Both are 1000 CFMs Both units have built in blowers. And both have liners that you can purchase as follows:

Zephyr:

AK0848AS

2" x 45" x 21"

Best by Broan:

Best L3848

Width : 48"

Depth : 23 1/2"

Height : 4"

Best also has one that is 54".

From what I have read on these forums is that the ventillation unit needs to be 24" deep and 6" wider than the rangetop for capture. The insert alone will not meet these dimensions but if you add the liner it would.

My first question is do I need to even purchase a liner if the custom hood cabinet meets the dimension requirements for capture?

If not, then would adding the liner accomplish this?

Finally, any thoughts Pros/Cons on these two makes and model #'s of inserts?

Comments (9)

• weissman
    11 years ago

A liner is another term for an insert so, no, you don't need both a liner and an insert.

• jr3andb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am puzzled by your response weissman. They are sold as two different part numbers and are two different dimensions. One is a liner and the other is a liner insert that contains the blower. So I am not sure I follow you that the the liner is another term for an insert. If you look at the item #'s on-line they look like two totally different items.

• weissman
    11 years ago

ok - the insert includes the blower and the liner is what you get when you use an externally mounted blower - but you either get an insert or a liner, not both

• jr3andb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Weissman, yes you are correct in your statement that the insert includes the blower (internal, not in-line or external). The liner (which is the term that both manufacturers use)I have indicated can be used in conjunction with the insert and basically trims out or frames the insert. The liner I am referring to in no way could be used with an external blower. It has a rectangle cut out in the middle of it the size of the insert.

I am familiar with the set up that you are referring to (in-line or external blower) in which case you would just get the liner. The scenario you mention is not my situation.

Bottom line is I need someone on here that can advise me on capture as it relates to these particular ventilation inserts and whether I need the liner to accomplish this. Can you advise me on that?

If not, is there anyone else on these forums that can advise me on capture?

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    11 years ago

QUESTION....

My first question is do I need to even purchase a liner if the custom hood cabinet meets the dimension requirements for capture?

ANSWER..... NO

If not, then would adding the liner accomplish this?

ANSWER....... NOTHING

Capture area is created by the wood it has nothing to do with the insert or liner. Make sure the insert is raised 4" - 6" up inside the cabinetry, so the bottom edge of the wood is the capture area, what ever goes in the capture area will go into the insert and out the kitchen.

• jr3andb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! Verifying that the custom wood hood will get me there as far as capture area is just the answer that I was looking for.

Weissman, I do really appreciate you taking your time to respond and I hope you were not offended by the debate over the liner = insert. That one threw me for a loop and got me off topic of the answer I was looking for. I realize that the wording of my questions were not exactly clear to obtain the answer I was looking for...confirmation that the custom wood cabinet will serve as the capture area. I will try and do better the next time I post on the forums.

• weissman
    11 years ago

Not offended at all. Terminology is often confusing and varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

• kaseki
    11 years ago

In my view, the liner or at least a metal extension, should extend to the interior edge of the wood hood aperture so that grease does not get on the wood. If it were mine, I would have the underside of the lip covered also. Note that in the picture above, no wood is seen.

Second, the stove manufacturer's requirement for distance from combustibles must be met, even if the wood is covered (unless also insulated).

kas