Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yuliao

Subzero 48" vs 30"+drawers

YuliaO
10 years ago

We are planning our kitchen and it's not really a big one. We love to cook, plus we have 3 kids, so we need a big fridge and plenty of drawers. I am trying to figure out what will take less space and provide better layout...

The space we have for the fridge will fit 48 inch subzero, but leave no room for high ovens cabinet. i am planning on oven+steam/convection. So i'll have to get range instead of range top and fit steam oven somewhere under counter...

Other option (although much more expensive) is to get 36 inch refrigerator and separate freezer drawers. If i get 36 inch i will be able to squeeze in 30 inch 2 oven cabinet. So i'll be able to get range top and have two drawers under it plus steam oven will not take any undercounter space...but the freezer will take some under counter space, then...I know freezer drawers' capacity is not huge but we don't freeze much...

Anyway...i am torn now..Do you think one combination is better then other? How do these freezer drawers work? Is 36 inch refrigerator+ freezer drawers is worse/better then 48 inch build in?

Comments (8)

• alina1grace
    10 years ago

I have no much information about it but i have read a article about it which is here in given below link. have a look hope so it can help you. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sub-Zero Repair

• bmorepanic
    10 years ago

These are all the things I can think that may be issues about doing the spilt units.

Make sure your ovens will actually fit in a 30" oven cabinet. You would not be the first to have that as a problem as some 30" ovens require a 33" cabinet.

Be sure that what you're thinking for size allowances leaves enough room for the ref door/s to swing open for cleaning. Even sub zero needs some clearance to the side/s, and afaik, it varies with the model. As examples, the 36" built in single door needs another 17" of clearance to a wall on the hinge side while the same size french door needs 7 3/4" on both sides. The traditional 48" sxs (not the PRO) needs 14" on the ref door hinge side and 9 3/4" on the freezer hinge side.

Be aware that if you choose a french door unit, the potential exists for door collisions between the ref doors and the oven doors. Same thing for a single door refrigerator where it's door swings towards the oven stack.

You might consider getting a 36" combo unit and then using ref drawers as extra space. You could fill the drawers with either drinks and make it convenient for people wandering through. Or you could fill it with cooking stuff (butter,eggs, meats to cook, celery, carrots, etc.) and have it very close to the prep area.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

A "not really big" kitchen would seem to preclude the use of so many large appliances. An extra fridge in the laundry room or pantry can handle overflow, and at a much cheaper cost than the drawers. A range combines ovens and cooktop and gives you back 30" of counter space.

You have to consider the size constraints of the space you are working in first, before your wants.

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bmorepanic Thank you!

I was planning on getting wolf oven and wolf steam oven...Would they fit?

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

live_wire_oak you are right! I am just trying to figure out the best combination...The kitchen is not really that small, just a bit awkward combination of windows-walls-etc...But if i end up with too little cabinet space - i'll rethink appliances, of course

• bmorepanic
    10 years ago

Wolf Convection Steam Oven should be no problem. It's really a 24" oven with trim panels to pad it out to 30". The oven cabinet should have a solid ply front. If for some reason it doesn't, you might need some matching trim or plywood from the cabinet company.

The "L" series and "E" series ovens are a little bit different story and a little bit different from each other. The tolerances are so close that I would suggest asking your KD or cabinet company. I'm not a Wolfarian ;) - so I don't know the actual answer. It looks like the min cabinet size might be 31" to 33".

Adding - If you are thinking frameless cabinets and the oven cabinet is up against a wall, you'll need a piece of starter molding if your cabinets are frameless. It can be anything between 1/2" if your walls are pretty straight up to maybe 1.5" if you have an antique house. 3/4" would be normal.

• YuliaO
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bmorepanic,
    what is starter molding?

the house is new, but all the walls were up before we bought it, so we are kinda have to work with what we have... Ceiling is 9 feet.

I am now having a different idea...48 inch subzero, plus 24 inch high cabinet that will have steam oven+microwave, both 24"...and then i would put oven somewhere under counter... I don't want to get a range...I tried to convince myself that it is cheaper etc...But i just know i'll regret that decision. Plus, i want to get 36" range top but i do not need 36" oven...

Do Wolf ovens get hot to the touch while operating? If i install it under counter, would i be able to stand there and use the counter space while oven is on?

ps
    i am planning an ikea kitchen

• roseperez894
    9 years ago

I think next ti me you should consider buying a Viking instead because they come in more sizes. View different sizes in the link I provided

Here is a link that might be useful: Dallas Appliance Repair