Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dacor. Does anyone LIKE this brand?

Posted by theSchmett (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 14:51

Hi everyone,

Internet reviews on Dacor products are incredibly negative.

Can GardenWeb balance this out or are they really that unreliable? I have the opportunity to purchase a used range (ERD36) at a deep discount. It LOOKS fine. I have no way of knowing if it is about to blow a circuit board, or the oven window is about to explode. These are the most common complaints on the internets.

I certainly don't require a gourmet 36" stove for my kitchen remodel... but it sure would be nice if it managed to work without blowing up my home. If this doesn't work, we will go with a more mainstream brand of 36 or 40 inch range, spending under $3,000. This one retails for $8 and after I rent a truck and bribe some friends to help pick it up, will probably cost me around $2500.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dacor. Does anyone LIKE this brand?

I have a Dacor refrigerator purchased at a discount that I like and haven't had any issue with over last 3 years (though I believe it is basically a rebadged version of a mainstream brand)

o

Dacor fridges are rebranded Whirlpools/KitchenAids.

Dacor has a well-earned reputation for circuit boards that last five to ten years.

To replace circuit board will cost you $500 for parts plus labor.

Not sure about oven window.

Maybe there is a reason why a range that retails for $8K is availbable for $2k.

o

My Dacor range (ERD30S06) still looks like new after 10 yrs. use, but I wouldn't give it away to a family member or friend at this point. I'm one of the unfortunates dealing with a bad circuit board. My model is also super loud when the oven is on and takes ages to preheat.

I absolutely get that some good brands get a bad rap in internet reviews for having had one model or two that were lemons. I almost steered clear of purchasing a JennAir range for our lake place for that reason. So glad I decided to go with one. It's been a reliable workhorse for the past 5 years.

I understand how tempting the deal sounds on the Dacor, but I would urge you to get as much info as you can before buying it. Mine has become such an unreliable pain that I can't wait till I can afford to replace it.

o

I thought they were Fisher & Paykel.

o

I had an ER36D(new) for 7 mos, about 5 years ago, that they never could get to work right. The computer boards were billed out at $1800 each time they were replaced.( but free to me under warranty) It still never worked. The enamel was very subject to flaking. The knobs were flimsy and broke. The oven could never hold a temperature. They finally bought it back.

deeageaux
Maybe there is a reason why a range that retails for $8K is availbable for $2k.

Agree 100%. It might have been a return. Do you get a warranty or right to return? Search Dacor on this forum.

o

I thought they were Fisher & Paykel.

DCS is Fisher and Paykel.

o

Yep, got them confused.

o

The people at Dacor love Dacor. All others use caution.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here