Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flevy_gw

Lacanche Ranges Part 43

flevy
11 years ago

Starting a new thread because I think the max is approx. 100 posts...

nutherokie--I'm so jealous! I can't wait to see pics of your baby. I don't know how you are restraining yourself and not taking delivery until next week.

I'm still waiting on a ship date :( Hopefully I'll hear from Christa this week. The range is the last piece of the puzzle. I'm taking a big chance that the specs are right and having the granite cut accordingly without the range here...cross your fingers that it just slides in nicely.

chris11895--tell us more about your visit? Did you cook on a range? I was debating between the Changy 1400 and the Citeaux but I just couldn't wrap my brain around the size of the vertical ovens. It's nice to hear that they are larger than you thought. Did you get samples of the colors? I was debating between the black and the anthracite also. But then I got the samples and they were pretty close in color....close enough that I didn't want to pay the upcharge. Now for the frangipane....that I'd pay the upcharge for!

Comments (177)

• flevy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ctkristin --have you figured out how to cook with the petite broiler yet? I'm still burning food in it :(

• ctkristin
    9 years ago

Hi Flevy! How have you been? I think of you every time I attempt to work out the kinks with the petite broiler, knowing that someone else out there feels my pain!
    No, I have not figured out how to use the petite broiler as a "regular" oven. I only seem to be successful at making cast iron pizza or using the oven as a broiler. I even have to keep a close eye on french fries. The outside of food just seems to go from uncooked to black in an instant.
    It is very frustrating, especially since I really enjoy cooking with this range. I have gotten used to all of the other quirks, but this petite oven vexes me!
    What have you tried to cook in it lately?

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

ctkristin, I didn't ask for it, however, your description and photo of the Chagny oven is most helpful (great photo, BTW). And achauer, that was a more significant question than I imagined! Many thanks for the question and the response.

Also, earlier comments you all made regarding your frustrations with the petite broiler - which at one time I thought I'd surely want for pizzas and smaller dishes - convinced me to look pretty hard at my true "must haves." I do appreciate your candor. Still, there must be someone out there who has gotten the hang of it, yes?

• MayioKonidaris
    9 years ago

Thank you trinkette for your inspiration and wonderful encouragement. I will definitely post photos down the track. As for the Chagny and the broiler/griller, I have heard from our local Lacanche importer who have this model, that it is very useful particularly as an extra (smaller) oven to either warm plates, food, make pizzas and simply to use it as a griller! We considered it before choosing the Cluny 1400, because we are used to having a separate grill and were concerned about having it inside the oven. But for me, the idea of having to get down low to use one of the ovens was the deciding factor, especially as the ageing process sets in! Deciding this was a relief, which allowed me to move on from the idea of having a separate grill. It is truly a personal and individual choice, but I think ctkristin's experience is worth consideringl! Good luck and take as much time as you can with your final decision!

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

We pulled the trigger! So excited!!! We will be the recipients of a french blue Volnay with classique cooktop and electric oven. We'll have a separate 24" steam oven (TBD). Sounds like it will be on the boat before the August holiday. Thanks to all of you for your responsiveness and your input. Choosing the electric over the gas oven was the hardest part - In the end I couldn't pass up the flexibility that the convection and high heat broiler offered. It feels great to have the decision finally made (my DH thinks so to ;)!

• achauer
    9 years ago

ctkristin - very helpful, thank you! Although crouching down is easy for me now at 43, in 10-20 years it could be a lot more difficult. I was envisioning using the petite broiler for pizzas, vegetable roasting, toasting nuts and bread (perhaps with pizza stone kept in to even out temp). However, it is sounding like the challenge of using the petite broiler and the inconvenient height of the electric oven may give me cause to go with the Cluny instead. Definitely food for thought!

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

ChristyMcK, the Volnay is a great choice! Sounds like you went electric, hence more "modern" all around, wrapped beautifully in a traditional package. Can't wait to hear your impressions of the French Blue color when you see it in your home. Also, please do report on how you like the electric oven. Congratulations on you decision.

• Zuza204
    9 years ago

So glad to have read about these stoves on this forum! Doing a very extensive kitchen overhaul in our midcentury modern 60's home and was on the Wolff path until I fell in love with the yellow SULLY 2200!! So now that I've ordered it I have to completely redo the rest of the kitchen to make it fit. Thinking to keep everything else pretty minimal...

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

trinkette: Thanks! I will definitely let you know about the electric oven, but I'm feeling very comfortable about the decision so that's reassuring that it was the right choice for us. I have a hard time imagining one could go wrong with any Lacanche range, but I'm already so biased! :)

zuza204: Congrats on your range! That Sully 2200 will keep you busy for ages and the yellow is just a gorgeous color. We are doing a few minor changes to our 1956 midcentury kitchen, but are leaving it largely untouched. It'd be fun to see photos of Lacanche ranges in both a midcentury kitchen (ours) and a midcentury modern kitchen (yours?). The Lacanche ranges are so versatile I think they go with all sorts of kitchens. Good luck with your remodel!

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

Zuza204, a big yellow Sully sounds yummy AND deserving of a fab kitchen overhaul!

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

Has anyone ordered a Lacanche range in a CUSTOM color?

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    9 years ago

Trinkette, I have just inquired about aurbergine after reading the threads going back to 2002. I think that would now be a custom color? Anyway, I'm not even sure I will like it, but it is intriguing.

Going back that far in the threads has also helped me make my mind on the exact range. It will be a Citeaux with both a burner and a traditional plate. After reading comments from other families of 6, I have become convinced that the Citeaux will work well for my family and my
    entertaining needs.

There was also some very useful information on the performance of the
    ranges. Serveral people posted on oven temperatures, baking, roasting,
    simmering, use of the French plate, high temperature searing, stir frying,
    etc. There were also several who went into great detail on pot and pan
    sizes and what would fit in the oven and the stove top. I found it all very useful.

The color is yet to determined, but I have at least now narrowed it down to
    just a few choices. I have until the end of the summer to make a final
    decision.

Are you any closer to a decision?

In the mean time, I am hoping to see the range in person in Michigan or within driving distance. Elisa has someone, but nothing has been
    arranged yet, I just hope the owner will let me come and have a look! I am
    planning to visit NYC, but that won't happen until closer to my order date.

ChristiMcK and Zuza204 - Congratulations on your orders! I look forward
    to seeing photos (hopefully)!

Best Regards,
    Corie

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

Corie, Great news regarding your decision to purchase a Citeaux! Please keep us abreast of your progress in choosing a color - is Aubergine on your short list?

I know it isn't advertised, however, it is a known Lacanche color so I don't think of Aubergine as being a "custom" color. Perhaps, I'd call it "semi-custom?" Actually, I once had a sample of Aubergine in my hot little hands - the color is exquisite. Quite timeless, and it would work in so many settings! I'm considering it, as well as a few more readily available colors. However, I am also thinking about coming up with a color of my own ... I have a two or three specific hues in mind.

I know Lacanche can match just about any color one would want; however, I don't recall anyone on GW ever going with a custom color, that's why I asked. In fact, I don't think I've even seen a photo of a custom color at all. Hummm, must inquire ...

Yes, I agree, the older threads are extremely helpful.

• joeboldt
    9 years ago

They should ALL be burgundy!

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

Spoken like a true proud parent, joeboldt!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    9 years ago

I got an email from Elisa she said the aubergine is a custom color. The color up charge is twice the regular color up charge. Based on how the color was description I've ruled it out.

May I ask what color hues you are considering?

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

It was years ago when I inquired about the Aubergine - before our earlier house project (another house altogether) imploded. I knew Aubergine was more than the normal colors offered, but didn't remember that it was priced double like the custom colors (which I HAVE priced recently). If I decide it's my best color choice - the Aubergine is lovely and I can see it working in just about any kind of setting - I'll be sure to go for it and consider the additional cost as money well-spent.

Corie, I'm considering several colors, including Frangipane, Vert Sologne, Ivory and some of the blues. However, so far I'm not settled on the perfect compliment to my other color and design choices in the house. Also, design/material decisions for the kitchen and family room/dining areas are still underway, so I have plenty of time to ponder options, including coming-up with a color of my own.

FWIW, the color I might have chosen for the last house project - Provence Yellow - does not work for this house AT ALL. Maybe I should just follow joeboldt's advice and go for Burgundy!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    9 years ago

Trinkette, I was just reading your post about the earlier house last night. It is nice to know that you are so dedicated to the brand! I also, enjoy reading comments from owners who would definitely buy again - so reassuring. I'm glad it's working out for you now!

The colors you are considering are great; all soft and calming. It sounds like we are at similar stages in building. I'm trying to recreate the feel I had in a kitchen that I used that had a green Aga. So I plan for everything
    in the kitchen to be soft creams except for the Lacanche. Your comments about the Aubergine, makes me think I should actually see it! I've narrowed mine down to six. I may just let my family vote of the favorite! And unfortunately, British Racing Green was ruled out!

I also read some interesting reviews/comments last night about the
    traditional plate and I'm now doubting my decision to add it instead of two additional burners. Good thing I have a few months to decide!

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

Corie, yes, I have circled back to where I began years ago (with Lacanche). However, unlike the first time around where I jumped to Lacanche without considering other brands, this time around I've taken my time and looked carefully at many brands and styles, which is why I started the other thread here about Lacanche, La Cornue, DCS, Berta and etc. And everyone's comments have been extremely helpful! I ended-up looking at many more styles and brands than I initially planned when I began began shopping in earnest.

Again, although I still have time [to change my mind, lol] at this point I have a pretty good idea where I'm headed. Lacanche has done the best job overall meeting my needs in terms of range size and available elements; color options; design; perceived performance; sales staff responsiveness (one high-end brand fell terribly short here, and I tried two different sources. It discouraged me enough to cross the brand of my list, even though I like the product). When I consider cost, especially what I can get for the price compared to other brands, Lacanche is pretty hard to beat.

BTW, for anyone thinking about colors, Marron Glace is another GORGEOUS color. It just leans a little to much toward cocoa to "go with" what I'm doing here.

I'm curious, Corie, what is it about the French plate that has you concerned? As I reported on the other thread, the Lacanche ambassador who so graciously shared her range with me said the ONLY regret she has about her Cluny is that she did not go with the French plate.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    9 years ago

I believe it was back on a thread from 2007, Chef Marty gave his opinion about the French/Traditional Plate. In his opinion, two additional burners were a better use of the space. He said when he needed a French Plate, he used his griddle oven the burners.

I am not certain I won't get it, but I'm burner greedy! What I really want is the Sully 1800 so I can get 7 burners and the
    FP! I think my architect and builder (not to mention my
    husband) would give me serious grief since the plans were drawn up with the dimensions of the smaller range!

I do love the idea of the French Plate, I had something
    similar on the Aga. It was great for melting butter, making sauces and keeping food warm while other things cooked.

I also looked at many different ranges, but was very disappointed with the reviews I read. I have several friends that own some of the other ranges I was considering, and they have been very vocal about their complaints.

I wanted the traditional, gas, four oven Aga, since that was what I was most comfortable using and I loved the classic look that it added to the kitchen.

When I began using the Aga, I hated it with a passion. It was quirky, the ovens and two burners seemed limiting, there were no temperature gauges or knobs for that matter and it was HOT. Similar to some of the concerns expressed here.

But, I quickly came to love it. It was a sturdy, solid piece of equipment that cooked beautifully. And it was a range I would never have to replace. This is a big deal to me as I have replaced the range in my current house three times in 12 years. The second one went because it wasn't stainless steel and we felt it had to go to sell the house. Such a waste. I want a range that never goes out of style. But, I could not justify leaving the Aga on all the time.

That was when I started researching French ranges. I believe the Lacanche is everything I could want in a range and I can turn it off!

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

In case others are interested, here's the decision making process I went through when deciding on the classique over the french plate.

When I tested the Lacanche I quickly realized the french plate was not good at boiling water (it’s not it’s function!). I also realized the 15k burner boiled the same amount of water in about the same time as my most powerful electric burner on my current range. I wanted it to boil faster, which the classsique 18k burner will do.

Because we water bath can a lot in the summer I wanted a powerful burner to handle this task. We also boil water for quinoa, rice, pasta, veggies and more on a daily basis and stir fry. Since the Classique also comes with a two burner cast iron flat plate that can serve as a french plate, I figured it would give me a mock french plate experience when I needed it. Plus before I started shopping for a range I often thought I wanted a super powerful burner but I just never thought I'd want a french plate or features of a french plate.

Had we had a bigger kitchen I would have likely selected the Citeaux and would have added a french plate because I can see how it could open up my cooking repertoire and be a great addition to the cooking arsenal, but with the Volnay, based on the reasons above I thought the Classique would work best.

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

And therein lies the crux of the issue, ChristyMcK! I KNOW I'd love working with a French plate, however, we boil big pots of water here daily (my teenage son is a pasta-holic) and a powerful burner would be most welcome. Of course, with something sized like the Cluny 1400, I could have it all ... one gas and one electric oven, a warming cabinet, a big 18K burner as well as a French plate. Still, I'd really prefer not to go that big. A smaller range is really all we need. *SIGH*

• joeboldt
    9 years ago

Here's my 2 cents about the French top. We have one. We never use it the way we had envisioned, ie, moving pots around to the perfect spot for a slow simmer or to boil slowly, etc. The main issue in using it this way, is that it just gets too hot. No matter how low you set the 18k burner, it's not going to work that way. If you have something else in mind for, YMMV.

Having said that, we periodically stir fry, and access to the burner is pretty good. We have also found it's great to have a large flat spot in the middle of the stove to move pots and leave spoons, etc.

trinkette, we make a lot of pasta and just use the 15k burner. 15 isn't that much less than 18, although you could also just remove the 18k burner 'lid' and use it.

• Claire Bruford
    7 years ago

Hi, I was wondering if someone could very, very kindly post a photo of their Lacanche range that has a vertical oven (like the Citeaux) with the door open? A photo showing the top of the door open would be SO helpful, I can't find any information on any website that has this dimension/information. I need to see how far the oven door protrudes to the side when it is open so that I can plan my cabinetry either side of the oven. I hope that makes sense! I don't want the oven to stick out too far into the kitchen walkspace so am going to try and have the cabinetry either side almost flush, but need to know what gap to allow so that the Citeaux vertical oven and simmer oven doors don't hit the cabinets when they are open. Thank you!!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    7 years ago

Hi Claire, If you don't get a photo, I would be happy to post one of my warming oven open if that would help you. I had a spacer placed between my range and drawers on both sides of it. When my door is open though, it does over lap part of the drawer.

• Claire Bruford
    7 years ago

Thanks Corie, that would be SO helpful if you could post a photo for me. Thank you!! Lacanche owners are amazing! Thanks, Claire

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    7 years ago

Hi Claire, Here you go. I've given you three shots so you can see how far out the range sticks from my drawers and how far over the drawer the door goes when it's open as well as the one from above (ignore my feet!). If you need anything else, just let me know. I hope these help!

• Claire Bruford
    7 years ago

Oh my goodness, that is SO helpful. Thank you Corie! There's just one more photo - one of the door open 90 degrees (open sticking straight into the kitchen). Thank you so much, you are very kind! Claire

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    7 years ago

Hi Claire, Here you go! Have you ordered your Lacanche? What color are you going with or want? I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine! Let me know if you need anything else. Have a good day, Corie

• Claire Bruford
    7 years ago

Thank you, that is exactly what I needed. Brilliant! I love your kitchen - the splashback tiles are gorgeous. I have just ordered a Citeaux. Debated for about a year on the colour and ended up going with the black. I will add colour with other accessories in the kitchen. Our cupboards and benchtop will be exactly the same as yours! Our island will be in light oak. I can't wait! Thank you so much Corie, your help has been invaluable. I don't think there are many Lacanches in New Zealand so I had no one to really call for help! Thanks! Claire

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    7 years ago

I'm glad I could help you, Claire! Thank you for your kind words about my kitchen. We've lived here for just about 10 months and I still love walking into the kitchen! And it does sound like our kitchens will be very similar, my island is a dark maple.

The black is beautiful and elegant. Black was my first choice because I knew it would go with everything and I'm very practical. But, my family really wanted a color, so I let them decide. I hope you love your range as much as I love mine! Have a good day! Corie

• Li
    7 years ago

I love this site! This is EXACTLY the information I was searching for today...how to situate the range vs cabinets to allow for clearance for the warming cupboard door. One clarification question for Corie...you said you "had a spacer placed between my range and drawers on both sides of it". I don't really see that in the photos. What type of spacer and how wide? Do you ever have issues with the warming cabinet door opening too far and banging into your cabinet doors? Thanks.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Portarossa14, My cabinet maker made the drawers about an 1" wider than the door for the drawer, so it's not exactly a full overlay. It's just enough space to allow me to open my bottom drawer when the warming oven is open. That is what I mean by a spacer. Sorry for the confusion. The warming cabinet door does open and swing into the drawer door if I am over zealous and don't stop it from banging into it; which I have done often. So far it hasn't done any damage to the door, but I now do make an effort to try to stop it just in case. Which range are you considering?

• Claire Bruford
    7 years ago

Hi Portarossa14, just a note - I have heard that Lacanche have changed the style of their upstands as of June 2015. They are now 50mm deep and 90mm high. They can be installed either facing up or down. It might be worth checking this with your supplier before confirming any cabinetry dimensions. I am thinking of making our cabinetry 685mm deep either side. then the benchtop will have a 15mm overhang. This means everything will line-up nicely. I'm not sure it is recommended by Lacanche, however it means the oven doesn't look like it sticks out too far from the adjacent cabinets. Looking at Corie's photo, it seems you will still be able to open the warming cupboard door a little over 90 degrees if I do this.

• Li
    7 years ago

Thank you Claire and Corie! We have decided on the Chassagne, with the larger (gas) oven and warming cupboard. We will also have a Miele Combi Steam Oven in the kitchen, so we should have all our bases covered! I just need to decide which cooktop configuration to go with (ie. Which burners will I use the most? Will I use the 18k burner if I don't eat pasta any more? Where to put the portable simmer plate? Over the 15k burners or the 5k/11k? Really wish Lacanche had a portable simmer plate that went over the 18k burner!). I also want to feel comfortable with the installation details before doing a final walk-through with the cabinet guys. Of course, no one on the construction team has installed a Lacanche before so I'm not comfortable leaving it to chance! Fortunately, I have all of you to help me out! :-)

• PRO
    THE FRENCH BARN - Lacanche Canada
    7 years ago

Hello Portarossa,

First, thank you for choosing Lacanche! The 18k burner is very powerful and best suited for larger pots, woks, etc (high heat). If you dont see yourself using it all that often, you might be better served with a pair of 15k instead? You might lose a little bit of power on the high-heat side, but you'll gain in flexibility. Have you thought about the Classique 4 top + 2 burners for example?

The portable simmer plate can easily be moved from one pair of burners to the other, so it gives you a chance to see which works best for your own cooking style. As for a portable plate over the 18k burner, the Tradition top does give you the option of using either the simmer plate, or the large burner directly (by removing the centre piece). You could also order a spare "Classique" grate, but the large simmer plate is quite heavy to be moved on a regular basis.

Last but not least, I'm sure your Lacanche distributor can provide you with all the specs ahead of time to review with your construction team. A Lacanche range can be impressive at first for a contractor who has never seen one before, but they are very straight-forward to install and work with as long as you have the right information on hand.

All the best!

Patrick

• Claire Bruford
    7 years ago

That photo just took my breath away K Liu!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    7 years ago

Beautiful!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    7 years ago

Hi Portarosa, I have four 11,000 BTU's, 1, 18,000 (the classique burner), one 15,000 BTU, and one 5,000 BTU. I use the 11,000 the most for everyday cooking. I use the 18,000 for boiling large pots of water for pasta, potatoes, soups and for stir frying. I use it more than I thought I would when I got it. I also have a portable French Plate that generally sits on my 5,000 and 15,000 which I love. I usually leave it on the range, but it is very easy to remove when needed. Mine are configured with the four 11,000 together then the classique and the 15,000 and 5,000 also together.

My builder was also unfamiliar with installing the Lacanche. But, with the instructions that were provided by Lacanche, the electrician was easily able to do it. There were no issues with the install. The most difficult part was getting the range into the house. Fortunately, the builder had a couple of big guys and some belts that they used so even that wasn't really an issue.

• knightzerox90
    7 years ago

Hi, do most people have their Lacanche stove top flush with the counters or a bit higher? I'm trying to determine my vent hood distance. Thank you!

• PRO
    THE FRENCH BARN - Lacanche Canada
    7 years ago

Hello @knight,

We've seen both! Some Lacanche owners prefer to have the SS top perfectly flush with the countertop, while others like to see it sit slightly higher. In any case, it shouldn't be lower than the countertop. I think you can see both in some of the pictures in this thread.

If you are not sure which way you'd prefer yet, you would be safe by having the hood 31-32" above the countertop. Depending on the style of hood you use, and whether you and anyone else cooking on a regular basis is on the tall side, you might even want it higher yet so that you don't hit your head on it while cooking.

Thank you for choosing Lacanche!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Mine is flush with the countertop which I like because the counters are higher than what I've had previously.

• knightzerox90
    7 years ago

Thank you! My range is on its way and I just submitted my range good request. I'll be getting a Chagny 1400 in coral blue!

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

my savigny was delivered on thursday, just waiting for install, it is beautiful!!!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    7 years ago

Congratulations, Jennifer! Post a photo when you can.

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

jennifer_havin's ideas · More Info
    In love, used it tonight to make shrimp scampi, worked like a dream.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    7 years ago

Beautiful! I hope you have many years of happiness cooking on your Lacanche!

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

Corie Hall, does the vent from the gas oven usually give out so much steam?? meaning my back wall of tile has a LOT of condensation, is that normal? I know the owner manual says it is reversible for island applications but just wondering if it would be ok to change it so the steam comes to the range top????

• vedazu
    7 years ago

Just saw this--randomly checking back to the Lacanche threads. I have a Cluny with one gas oven and have posted about the venting in the past. (Since 2004...) I had crackle tile on my backsplash, and after one use of the gas oven those many years ago, I realized I had made a mistake, because I don't have a spacer, and the condensation has discolored the tile considerably. It is only a problem on that section of tile that is immediately behind the vent, but someday I probably should replace the backsplash. You don't want to change the direction of the vent so the steam comes forward--it is really hot and I don't see how you could stand at the stove and cook at the same time you were using the oven.