Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best place to buy replacement ice maker?

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 14:49

I found one online at Water Filter Experts, Filters Fast, and Amazon that replaces my model number, and the reviews were good at WFE for the unit; there were no reviews on FF but the FF website says it is a Supco ice maker, and those got not so great reviews on Amazon. The FF & Amazon units were $20 less but the reviews on Amazon said they were rebuilt.

I posted a question on the Q&A at WFE asking if they were new or rebuilt but no answer yet. None of the reviews I read mentioned how well the company dealt with any problems. Thought I'd check here before buying in case there was a recommended place. I don't want a rebuilt unit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best place to buy replacement ice maker?

You're referring to a replacement ice maker unit for the freezer section of your refrigerator? Find the correct item by part number, search for the best price. I'd do some searches for you but you didn't state either the brand & model number of your refrigerator or the part number of the ice maker.

FiltersFast, WaterFiltersExperts, and Amazon carry such items but are not specifically appliance parts sources.

Supco is an after-market parts manufacturer, not OEM (original equipment manufacturer) ... but may be a viable choice, and in some cases the only choice if the manufacturer has discontinued parts for an older model appliance.

Be aware also that there may be two ice maker version offered -- 1) a kit to add an ice maker to a refrigerator that doesn't already have one (includes a water valve and other parts); and 2) just the ice maker mechanism for replacement on a refrigerator that already has one.

Among many other sources ...
SearsPartsDirect.com
PartsTap.com
AppliancePartsPros.com
RepairClinic.com
ApplianceZone.com
PartsDr.com

o

When I posted that, I wasn't sure what the part number was. There were a lot of numbers inside the front cover of the old one, and two of the numbers matched ice makers that said they were compatible with Whirlpool. Then we pulled out the freezer and on the back it says to use ice maker kit ECKMF94 or IMKIT94. So I just found the first one at a couple of places too, and one reviewer on Amazon said they bought it at Lowes. That would be great for me, because then I could see it and know it was new.

o

ECKMF94 and IMKIT94 (substituted now to P/N 8560) are different numbers for the same item, both are the full installation kit ... includes water valve and tubing, fill spout that mounts in the freezer rear wall, ice storage tray, mounting hardware.

Interestingly, a full kit can be cheaper at some sources than just a replacement ice maker module.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here