Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherylj_gw

Wolf or Capital Broiler and Grill?

SherylJ
10 years ago

We're going to be purchasing a 36" range for our kitchen remodel and two features that are extremely important to us are a really good broiler and rangetop grill/charbroiler. I've been going back and forth about the range itself, initially between Bluestar and Capital. Decided on Capital for various reasons I won't bore you with. But now am having some worries about service based on posts here. I know all appliances can have issues and service certainly varies, but it seems like Wolf, just being a larger, more established company, has more reliable quality control and service. But how do their grill and broiler compare to Capital's? I'm willing to give up a little performance in exchange for reliability. But not too much!

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You will be giving up a huge amount if you go wolf over capital IMO.

Burners ...even heat vs not so much,
    Oven heat up time less,
    Broiler temperature higher,
    More even heat from the Charbroiler, also less heat.. sound crazy but less is better in this case.
    Fit and Finish so on and so forth.

In general most manufacturers have a fail rate of +/- 3%. and maybe 1 % receive bad service for whatever reason from ANY Manufacturer. That give you a 99% chance of not failing or getting good service from ANY manufacturer.

• b347725
    10 years ago

It's worth noting that Trevor Lawson is the owner of Eurostoves, which sells Capital, and does not sell Wolf.
    Doesn't make Capital a bad choice, but I think when accepting such advice you should know if the person offering it has skin in the game. Wish the proprietor of an appliance store would have revealed himself as such in his post, but hopefully it was just an oversight.

I have a six-month-old Wolf, after considering both Capital and Bluestar. I was tempted by both of those high BTU ranges, but eventually read enough horror stories here and in other kitchen forums on both that I went with the tried and true.

With Wolf you lose BTUs, but you gain the best service in the industry, from my experience and many others, and, I feel, the fit and finish is far superior. I've loved my all-gas range so far.

Do I still kind of long for true open burners and the big flame of a Capital or Bluestar? Yes. Right up until I read another report of this, that or the other thing going wrong for someone with service being impossible to find because few people know those brands.

So far, my only service needs for the Wolf was that it arrived with a slightly scuffed grate, quite likely even done by the workers in my house after delivery. Well, even when I said just that, Wolf overnighted me not only one new grate but two, "just in case." They also personally answered about 100 questions I submitted via web form prior to purchase, whereas Bluestar never responded to an email sent through their site and Capital simply pointed me to PDFs of brochures I already had with what looked like a form letter.

Frankly, the various reports of people receiving damaged, non-working ranges or non-working elements of ranges from both of those companies were, alone, enough to make me say no way, but your mileage may vary.

Honestly, all are good choices, but rock solid reputation is what made me pick Wolf in the end.

This post was edited by b347725 on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 15:53

• agk2003
    10 years ago

b347725, since you have the wolf AG, can you tell me if you went with the 30" or the 36" and why? also, does it have a true simmer? the simmer is concerning me based on the consumer reports review. Thank you!

• SherylJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the quick responses. b347725, your decision making process sounds a lot like mine. Every time I read another horror story, I get anxious. My only concern is that I will be replacing a professional (not to code for a residential kitchen) US Range open burner range top which is incredibly powerful (and I've been breathing in those gas fumes for years) so I'm used to a lot of fire. I'm sure I'll be able to cook just as well with the lower BTU's, but I'm used to open burners and lots of flame so it will be an adjustment. When you say you still long for the big flame of Capital or Bluestar, is there anything you think you really can't do as well on the Wolf? I'm genuinely curious because I've just taken mine for granted and I don't have the experience cooking on something more controlled. It's a big purchase and I don't want to make a decision I'll regret. I would keep the US Range cooktop if I could, but we are doing a very needed remodel and there's no way to pass inspection with what I have now.

• applnut
    10 years ago

I don't think service for niche ranges is a moot point. My Bluestar range has needed a LOT of service and it's always been very hard to find, even though we're near a major midwest metropolitan. I'd guess Capital could be in the same boat, given its limited distribution.

When my big Bluestar works, it's great, but it often doesn't, and that's extremely frustrating. I've seen reports from Capital owners that indicate they might be similar, but admit I have zero Capital personal experience, other than being impressed by the units I've seen in showrooms. (They do seem much nicer than my circa '07 Bluestar, just by observation.)

I also have Wolf double wall ovens, and while they're still fairly new, I can echo the idea that the service I've received with them has been outstanding--and comparing it to the nightmare response I received from Bluestar, it's downright miraculous--though, admittedly, I haven't need much.

A halogen bulb burned out after a month or so and they sent me a new one super fast. One of the glide oven racks was missing at install and they sent a new one of those right away, too.

I do know that some people on this forum have had issues with the Wolf blue oven enamel and I agonized over that for a while, but I did express those concerns to Wolf and felt at least some faith that should I be so unlucky to experience it they would take care of me. (This was before "wekick's" unfortunate experience, which does give me pause.)

The 3-year full warranty that comes with certified install was also a Wolf selling point for me. But, of course, I can't comment on the range performance or even the gas oven, since I don't have either one.

Capital repair thread that made me compare them to Bluestar: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0915035924424.html

My Wolf ovens decision thread, which talks about the enamel issues: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0410284920186.html

This post was edited by applnut on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 9:40

• dodge59
    10 years ago

Looks like a lot of "Selective Reading" going on here!!!

I guess you missed the thread about the Wolf range with the porcelain problem, and the lack of help from Wolf, (or at least at a reasonable price?) Also the ovens Wolf helped with (replaced), have had the same porcelain problems with replacements, and sometimes even on the 2nd replacements, (3rd set of ovens)!!!

Also it was an erroneous post claiming Trevor had a "Hoss" in this race!! For many years now, Trevor has been a lotta help to folks here, first with Blue Star and now Capital, (even though the folks he helped had not bought their stoves from him)!!! I would suggest that "that poster", read post about Blue Stars and Capitals before posting such NONSENSE!!!!

The op mentions the importance of the broiler and the grill/charbroiler. Well look up the specs, size of the broiler element, read reviews on how evenly or unevenly it broils~~~
    This will be far more help than listening to attack dogs going after Trevor.
    Trevor really has had mucho mucho experience with all 3 or these ranges/cook tops or whatever.

No inside grill or broiler is gonna match the performance of even a "Cheap" outdoor unit~~~~assuming the unit has the infrared burner!

Gary

• applnut
    10 years ago

As for selective reading ... I specifically mentioned how disappointed I was in "wekick's" Wolf experience in my post and CALLED OUT THE WOLF BLUE ENAMEL ISSUES.

I also have to agree that Trevor should ID himself as a dealer. I mean, isn't that part of the board's actual rules regarding commercial participation? I, personally, wouldn't call mentioning that "attacking" him, or his advice.

Long time board members may know who Trevor is and what he does, but I sure didn't when I started out, and I do think that information is relevant. If I'm asking advice in a car forum about whether to go Honda or Toyota, I'd certainly want to know if the person who is steering me towards the CRV is a Honda dealer.

When I was making my range decision, way back when, Trevor was here raving about Bluestar. I thought he was just a fan until I got an email offering to sell me one.

I don't have a horse in this race as I don't even own a Wolf or Capital range. (Wolf ovens, Bluestar range and I'm just an owner, not a dealer.)

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

Trevor has been on this board for years, and I have yet to see him overtly try to sell anything. Yes, he's probably made some sales as a result of this forum but if he was violating any policy I'm sure he would have been cut off years ago.

Yes he's got some strong opinions, as do many here, but I would suggest that unlike many here his opinions are largely based on first-hand experience from the working kitchen in his store, not just regurgitating stuff he's googled. I consider him an asset to the forum and see no need to knock him down simply based on his profession every time you don't agree with his opinion.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Again..... it does not matter who I am or what I sell, the facts remain the same when answering questions from any poster.

I do not promote Capital nor did I promote Bluestar, I simply answered questions with rock solid knowledge. If you read my first post those are the facts undisputed because I HAVE BOTH RANGES and cook on both ranges... I also state that ALL MANUFACTURERS screw up service calls, nowhere in that post did i say what the OP should buy a capital or a Wolf nor do I defend Capitals service screw up's or service issues.

Question.....Who's advise would you benefit from the the most someone who has cooked on both ranges for years or someone who has only cooked on one of the mentioned ranges which they purchased?. I see more biased answers from owners than any of the trade people on this site. Owners tend to defend purchases from a very singular perspective.

Example .....When the time comes and people ask which is best the Wolf Duel Fuel or the Capital Duel fuel I may give my opinion and it wont be in favor of Capital.

People can take my comments or leave them alone, just as they can any other comments.

• SherylJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, I'm grateful for all the responses to my query. Thanks to all of you. I've got a few weeks before I need to make my decision. The only thing set in stone is that I'm definitely getting a Miele combi steam oven as a complement to the range. Went to a demo and it was really impressive. I wish I could do the same with the Capital range, but I live on the wrong coast to go to Eurostoves.

• b347725
    10 years ago

Not sure how it's nonsense to point out that the person offering advice on buying is also a salesperson for that same product. I also would argue that if it really doesn't matter he would have been up front with it. Either way, I wasn't trying to start an argument, just point out a fact.

As for my own range, I've got an all-gas Wolf 48" with 6 burners and a griddle. I don't think any indoor grill is terribly worthwhile and, honestly, I might not do the griddle either and just go with all burners and save that money, if I were choosing today.

I do use the griddle, and have liked it, but it doesn't perform measurably better than my old electric griddle. There also seem to be a few hot spots, but that could just be user error as I've probably only played with it a half dozen times so far.

I've also got a Wolf convection steam oven and I mostly use that and the side oven on a day-to-day basis. I have no real complaints about either, though neither has been life-changing, as far as ovens go. Fairly even heating, true temperature and the smaller ovens have quick preheat. The broiler is perfectly good, but not spectacular. The big oven is very large, so heats more slowly, but holds a lot. Love it for large gatherings and big meals and am looking forward to having it this year for the holidays.

I knew I was giving up self-clean with all-gas, but felt that was a good compromise in savings, plus I like to have a gas oven. If money were no object one of the French ranges with one electric and one gas would probably be my dream.

I'm not 100 percent sure I'd recommend Wolf as the very best steam oven, but we did look at Miele too, and the Wolf seemed at least as good if not better, plus we got a rebate for buying multiple Wolf cooking products. My biggest complaint about the Wolf is the presets, which are kind of silly and useless. A gimmick, but I can work around them pretty easily.

I now use the steam oven exclusively for my bread baking, which I do regularly. The crust is amazing. I have also found the oven holds so much more than I expected. Honestly, it's my everyday oven and I use it tons.

We did go with Gaggenau for our all-fridge, all-freezer and I love them. I didn't really need them to be fully integrated, but I really liked the interiors much better than the Sub Zero we also considered. That was our other big splurge item.

As for the Wolf burners, I think the biggest loss is stir fry. You're not going to do true wok cooking here, no matter what Wolf claims. Other than that, I've had zero issues, and I really did worry about losing the open burners that were no longer available. I've found the stacked burners easy to keep clean and I feel they're noticeably more powerful than what I had, coming from a previous residence where the builder put in an all DCS package. I can quickly and evenly sear, saute, etc. When I want to stir fry, I just use a saute or frying pan, instead of a wok, and get decent results. It won't rival a 30k wok burner, but it's good enough for me. Simmering has also been very impressive. I can hold delicate sauces without issues, but I don't really buy the hype of claims like it can melt chocolate on a paper plate without catching fire, so I wouldn't be disappointed for it not to meet that mark. I melt my chocolate in the microwave, so it's not really an issue.

One thing I can wholeheartedly endorse is the beauty of this range. It's basically perfect. Everything looks great, seems solid and well-made and just works so well: doors open smoothly, temperature dials turn easily and feel solid, the drip tray is on wheels and glides, pots slide perfectly across the square grates, which I just love. It really does feel like a high-end luxury product, which is something I just didn't get from the Capital or Bluestars we looked at, even though the prices were basically the same.

So far, knock wood, I've had no service issues with any of our new appliances, so, in that respect, I feel my choices were success.

I'd say I'm about 95% thrilled with our picks, with the extra 5% attributable more to having a budget, than any real problems with what I actually selected.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

My spouse is the quick cook in our house, learned from the great pro's by following their recipes until he was competent enough to throw luxury meals together on his own. Our whole neighborhood wants to eat here.

We snatched up a new, clean floor model, semi-open all gas Wolf 36" earlier this year for the remodel; we looked at all the contenders. No doubt higher BTU lends quicker results. Still, the stir-fries turn out tremendous on the 15K BTU burner, wine reduction sauces turn out perfectly, the simmer level is right on, and the broiled fish is heavenly. Actually, a home made chocolate cake and apple pie from the oven for entertaining both were a delight and hit with guests.

I keep up with cleaning, and so far the Wolf looks great. The individual grates, take apart burner system, and under-burner pans allow good access. I follow the directions on the stove enamel, wipe up gently any spills but never when hot. The oven preheat isn't too long (my Thermador took as long), the oven heat is even, and the 900 CFM Wolf venthood overhead with Broan 1000 CFM MUA works well.

Good luck with your decision.

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 15:25

• SherylJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Again, thanks all. You have been really helpful, especially about the open/sealed burner issue. I guess my one last question/concern is that I have always had an electric oven (with self clean). I do periodically avail myself of the self clean program in my twenty year old Thermador oven(which is still going strong, just is too small and won't work in remodel) even though it's smelly and takes a long time. I'm sure I'll use the combi steam oven on a daily basis which has no self clean but because of the steam is quite easy to clean. But will I regret not having a self clean option in my large gas range oven? That's where I'll be doing the big messy roasts and broiling. Capital makes an all gas range with self clean. What are people's thoughts on that? I am always on top of cleaning my range top and everything that's out in the open, but sticking my head into a large oven with a can of Easy Off makes me short of breath just to contemplate. Am I worrying unnecessarlly?

• wekick
    10 years ago

"Posted by b347725
    Not sure how it's nonsense to point out that the person offering advice on buying is also a salesperson for that same product. I also would argue that if it really doesn't matter he would have been up front with it. Either way, I wasn't trying to start an argument, just point out a fact. "

It comes under "full disclosure". You would then avoid others bringing this up if you do it first. Good juju.

"but I don't really buy the hype of claims like it can melt chocolate on a paper plate without catching fire"

This common showmanship for various ranges. I think Thermador also does this. It isn't that big a deal really as paper ignites roughly between 450 and 480 degrees, but it is showy and people perceive it as very low heat. Who cooks on a paper plate anyway? There was a video on here at one time that had small circles of paper over burners to illustrate how the heat was on various ranges. Only relevant if you cook on 5 inch circles of paper. You could conceivably use a 1 BTU wooden kitchen match under the paper and start a fire or have 1000 BTUs in a big circle and not mark the paper because all the heat is going around it.

• applnut
    10 years ago

I couldn't agree more with "wekick" regarding the full disclosure.

Also, I think "wekick" has the Wolf range--I know they, sadly, have the enamel issues and have been treated, I think, really poorly by Wolf--but I'm not sure if it's dual fuel or all-gas. Does the all-gas even have the blue enamel? And, if so, without self-clean has anyone had issues with an all-gass Wolf?

Just something that came to mind when reading that post ...

• agk2003
    10 years ago

i too am interested in hearing how people deal with the AG having no self clean. is it a hassle? i'm guessing yes, but wanted to hear from AG owners.

• julieste
    10 years ago

We made the jump from an old, self-cleaning dual fuel JennAir to a Wolf AG that obviously isn't self-cleaning. I was apprehensive about manual cleaning.

We've had the range for 8 months now, and it hasn't been too bad wiping out the interior of the oven. The racks are spotted with grease, and if I were a fastidious housekeeper (I'm not) I'd have tackled them by now. A caveat though: we also have a wall oven that we frequently use, so the Wolf oven is not being used 100%.

Back to the original question in the original post. Our 30" range is one of the last of the recently discontinued, true open burner AG ranges rather than the stacked that are now available. Perhaps a couple times in the past 8 months I've thought it might be nice to have a higher power burner than the 15K BTU mine is. But, this is no big deal at all for the way I cook, and it has a really nice range of burner settings that all work well--from the very lowest simmer to high flame. When I was looking for a range I was concerned about broilers, so size of the actual broiler was something I looked at closely because I had read that the actual square foot dimensions of some brand's broilers were quite small. I've been happy with the Wolf.

• dodge59
    10 years ago

Well, if you ever cooked on a "Good open burner", (Bluestar, Garland,Capital or American Range or on almost any induction cook top, you "Sealed burner Afficianados" would be
    "Singing a different tune.

I do have a VERY powerful open DCS, 2 burner stove next to my bbq. But it's not a great design and even though it does have gas jets in the middle of the burner, they are not big enough or high enough in number, to keep up with the outside jets.
    Recall the only kind of jets on a sealed burner are those on the outside~~~well except for that tiny center ring on the Wolfs.

So what happens when I cook on this fire breathing dragon?
    First it takes at least twice as long to boil water as my induction unit.
    2nd, The edge of the pan gets much hotter than the center, consequently I hafta keep stirring stuff, less that which is on the outside will burn and that which is in the center of the pot will be raw. Now can I cook perfectly good meals on the gas stove?~~~~of course I can, it just takes more "Fiddling" than my induction,~~~ or if I had one, a "Proper open burner stove".

Here is a picture of a sealed and an open electric burner.
    Course all of his here, would not buy the sealed burner option, so why do we do it with gas??????~~~~ and there isn't an appliance company stupid enough to make an electric sealed burner,~~~ (Same thing, just a different fuel)!!!

Gary

• ChristyMcK
    10 years ago

We are in the 'thinking about it' stage of remodeling in our 1956 kitchen. We lived in rentals for 15 years moving around the country for work, grad school, etc. and so I've cooked on a lot of terrible electric and gas stoves. We are thrilled to finally own our own home and I salivate thinking about finally having a powerful range (particularly since our 1956 electric GE stove top has only 3 working burners).

So, I've been reading about Capital, Blue Star, and Wolf and what I'd really like, being the quantitative person that I am, is hard data and statistics from the manufacturers about the rate of repair (that is the number of repairs required / number of stoves sold/installed over time, say per year) and the rate of repair for different components. And rate of damaged components on delivery. They could limit it to those under warranty since they'd be unlikely to have reliable data outside that range (year 1, year 2, year 3...not sure what warranties are yet). While I appreciate the personal experiences, aggregate data would be an important addition to the decision making process.

Somehow I don't see manufacturers willing to track, or pony up this data. But, a quantitative girl can dream.....and then cook on her underpowered electric range for a bit longer.

• wekick
    10 years ago

Gary I think I once had an electric "stove" with a burner like that "sealed electric burner" for awhile.

Agree that induction can provide a great range of heat and generally even heat unless there is an issue with the pan.

For gas though, there seem to be features attributed to "open" in the open/sealed debate that are really due to other factors.
    There are several components of cooking that can contribute to a cooking surface that applies heat evenly to your food.
    You could look at the configuration of the burner ports. Open, sealed or semi open as in the old Wolf burner, there are attempts to make a better pattern of distribution by increasing the number of ports and spreading them out in concentric ports and putting them in a star shape. The most advantage would be for a pan that does not conduct heat well, like cast iron or a very thin pan. They must be sized to the burner though, as you size a pan to an electric burner.
    The second aspect is considering the size of the pan in relation to the heat pattern of the burner. Once you have a pan, like cast iron, that is bigger than the burner,even though the heat is distributed evenly over a 6 inch circle, you have a hot spot in the middle of the pan. I use 14 inch pans quite a bit and so with my 14 inch CI pan I am better off with a larger ring of heat that would cut the total area of the pan roughly in half unless I could find a star burner 12 inches wide. The flip side is a burner that is too wide for the pan. You then have the heat going either to the very outside or completely around the pan. An open burner on the highest setting will produce a flare but the extent to which this happens depends on how the burner is engineered. Here is a picture of the 30 inch Wolf cooktop compared to 30 inch BS and even when you consider the flare really only on the highest burner setting, the burner is much smaller to begin with so might accommodate a smaller pan easier than the BS.

People on this forum tend to focus on the heat source because it is an appliance forum not a cooking forum. To get the most even heat in many more situations, don't worry about the burner but the interface of the food to the burner--the pan. Use a good heavy copper pan and not only will heat be even across the bottom but even up the sides as well. Heat will be coming evenly from all directions. If you can't swing copper use heavy aluminum.

Last week, I did use a commercial range with star burners, (with almost no void of burner ports in the middle) with a cast iron pan. It was well sized to the burner so heated well. It had a very poor low end of heat but I'm sure I could work around that if I had to. I have cooked on other commercial ranges as well. I still do like my sealed burners for home due to the great control of the flame especially the low end. I can certainly see people making other choices though. I am currently using my range but due to the issues with the "blue chips" I will at some point replace it. I may have to reconfigure my kitchen to accommodate a rangetop and I am not sure what that will be. Maybe I will get a CVAP for the oven. They are supposed to be coming out with a residential version.

• SherylJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wekick, that was such a helpful post. As I wrote in my OP, I've been cooking for almost 20 years on a commercial US Range rangetop with plenty of fire but very little control on the low end. I recently got an induction cooktop in our vacation home and can't believe the instant control at all temps. But your explanation of the open, sealed and semi-open burners in conjunction with cookware choice gives me more of an understanding of what I can expect if I switch to sealed burners. Much appreciated.

• dodge59
    10 years ago

What You say about the pans are true, Wekick.
    I use my cheap aluminum pans outside, and keep the good stuff
    for the induction.

The aluminum pans did work fine on that POJ radiant cook top that I had before induction.

So as you said, if you use the right pans, and of course you have to with induction, you can "Probably" get good results with a sealed burner~~~~I say probably, as I don't have a sealed burner to test.

Even as is, with the "Less than ideal" open burner that I have, as long as I stir stuff around in the pan, I can get good results.

Gary

• SherylJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, I'm all good on the burner question thanks to you guys. Now I'm just fixated on the broiler. I know broilers in electric ovens aren't nearly as good as those in gas. But If I get an AG range, how significant of a difference does an infrared broiler make? I see that only some AG ranges offer these broilers. Are they that much better? Also, I've come down on the side of self-clean, so that limits my AG options. If I opened the door to duel fuel, there would be a lot more choices. But since the ovens in these are electric, can they still have powerful broilers? This is the one thing my husband really wants out of our new kitchen - a great broiler - so I want to make sure he gets one!

• wekick
    10 years ago

Like anything electric broilers vary as to wattage and how many passes The infrared broilers are hotter but narrow. Electric ovens have wider broilers maybe not as hot. I like the wider broiler because I am always fixing appetizers and using it for half sheets. There are those who want the intense heat of the infrared. . We tend to go outside for that. It all depends on your priorities. The actual temperature of the cooking surface is much less than 1800 or whatever is advertised or it would incinerate your food.

• domperignon
    10 years ago

I wonder if someone could comment on Ilve versus Capital. To me it looks like a better alternative. What I like in Capital is their open flame (tell me if I am wrong) grill, something that will put you in trouble with code in a building. What I don't like is that until recently their Culinarian line had only gas oven options. I would also prefer having one gas oven and one electric like with La Cornu ranges which are out of my price range. Also Capital ranges don't have a French top.

• dzaner
    9 years ago

With Gas oven Infrared broilers, what is the difference in function, heat, effectiveness, whatever, of those behind glass (Culinarian) and those with an exposed ceramic plate (Bluestar, AmericanAppliance). Advantages? Disadvantages? Durability? Also, about cleaning the exposed infrared broiler, i.e. is there a problem?
    Also. why do some companies OK broiling with the door ajar and others don't?

• PRO
    9 years ago

The question might be more about rack heights in relation to the broiler surface, this will be more of a factor than glass vs ceramic plate.

As for cleaning ALL broilers get extremely hot so and food / grease will burn off.

Personally I always broil with the door ajar irrespective of manufacturers guidance. I want extreme heat without the broiler cycling on and off.