Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
springplanter

best wall oven for broiling Recommendations please?

springplanter
11 years ago

I am looking to put in range top and have micro/electric oven combo but want something additional for wall oven which has good quality broiler

Suggestions please

Comments (15)

• springplanter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

apologies for the double posting, but i waited, pressed "see your posting..." and the system kicked me out. It didn't even recognize that i had signed in, sooooooo I decided it was a no go and reposted

• shannonaz
    11 years ago

Our Fisher and Paykel ovens broil beautifully. I broil at least once a week. Good luck!

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I don't have a basis for comparison. but my Elux non-Icon allows open-door broiling, which is supposed to be good. I'm not sure why. Something about browning? I've always had an oven with open-door broiling, so I didn't realize there was any other way.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

"Most current broilers must have the door closed,"

Really? I've never had an electric oven that broiled with the door closed. The oven we are replacing is 26 y/o, so perhaps technology changed since the 1980s?

• jakvis
    11 years ago

Close door broiling came in to being in the 1990s.
    As to best broil on an electric oven take a look at the number of passes the broil element makes. The higher number of passes generally equate to more even broiling. Less passes will have hot spots or zones.
    I remember a test for evenness is to lay bread slices across a cookie sheet to completely cover it and sticking the bread under the broil to see how even it toasts.

• shannonaz
    11 years ago

My oven broils with the door closed. It is absolutely broiling and not baking. It does not require pre-heating because it simply uses heat from the top element. I routinely broil thin cuts of steak (1/4 inch or thinner) and the top will be brown in 4-5 minutes and when I flip them the bottoms are still pink.

• dodge59
    11 years ago

"My oven broils with the door closed. It is absolutely broiling and not baking. It does not require pre-heating because it simply uses heat from the top element."

Hmmmmmmm, I just got "The Below" from the Fisher Paykell website---I downloaded the "operator's Manual for the double ovens.

Note the "Always Broil with the door completely closed"!

"Using the BROIL, MAXI BROIL and AERO BROIL functions gives you a healthier alternative to
    frying. It is also a great way to cook vegetables. AERO BROIL is especially suitable for foods
    that you might normally pan-fry, barbecue or rotisserie. Always broil with the oven door
    completely closed. Note that power levels are expressed as a percentage from LO (50% power)
    to HI (100% power) in BROIL and MAXI BROIL functions. Most broiling is carried out on HI, but
    you may want to reduce the heat to suit your needs. We recommend that you place food on
    the three-piece broil/roast system. In BROIL and MAXI BROIL, best results may be achieved by
    preheating the broiler for about five minutes before you begin cooking."

• lee676
    11 years ago

See page 16 from this Electrolux owner's manual (this one for the 30" non-Icon single oven, but they all work the same way IIRC): "For best broiling results, broil with the oven door slightly open." Can't get much clearer than that.

The 8-pass, 4000 watt broiling element helps too.

I've used the broilers on Whirlpool/Kitchenaid closed-door broilers (awful), Thermador/Bosch closed-door (better), and GE which allowed either way, but that was a several-year-old model, and Elux open-door (excellent).

• shannonaz
    11 years ago

dodge59-
    I do not consider 5 minutes to warm up the element comparable to the 20 minute pre-heat required to bake something. My user guide from 7 years ago actually instructs me to warm up the oven "for a minute or so" which is why I felt comfortable saying it does not require pre-heating. My ovens absolutely broil and are not "baking" food.

Is there something else you feel that I mischaracterized about the function of my oven?

• dodge59
    11 years ago

It's very possible your oven is different from the brand new, "Current Model" that I posted info from the Operator's manual.

I did not, am not, accusing you of "mischaracterizing" your ovens features", instead, I am supplying information on the current model and how Fisher Paykel recommends using the "Current ones".

Should someone broil with the door open and the oven fails, there is a good chance the Fisher Paykel "Might" not honor the warranty since the oven was not used according to the
    Operator's Manual---Ya Thinks???

When in doubt, Call F & P , rather than learn
    "The Hard Way"!

Gary

• shannonaz
    11 years ago

dodge- as I said in my post my oven broils with the door shut and the broiling performance is great. I am not sure what you are trying to clarify??

To the OP: I hope you find an oven you like, it looks like you can get good broiling performance in both ovens with both open-door and closed-door broiling :) Hopefully others will chime in with oven recommendations! We love ours and broil several times a week which is why I chimed in!

• eandhl
    11 years ago

I had a 8 or 9 pass broiler in an electric oven (Thermador) that was superior to any other I had ever had. I would check on the number of electric passes.

• springplanter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to the responders so far.

Question: I have heard that the infrared broilers are super. Do any of the wall ovens come with that feature?

• dodge59
    11 years ago

Obviously, I can't read.
    Some how I read, (must need new glasses) that you broiled with door open and of course you said closed!

Very happy to hear it works for you, as that is our goal to help the OP make the best decision possible in purchasing an oven that broils well.

As far as infra red goes, OP, it is FANTASTIC. I have it on an outdoor bbq. I just did a pork roast on it using a spit, came out super! In fact the best turkey I ever did was using the same method.

I'm sorry but I do not know of an Electric Oven that features the infra red grill , although there are gas ones that feature it.

Good luck with your decisions OP!

Gary