Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssshayne

ka double oven - worth it? and kitchen aid brand

SSShayne
12 years ago

In the midst of kitchen remodel and ordering all new appliances. My husband loves the KitchenAid 30-Inch 5-Burner Double Oven Gas Range

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=35066-46-KGRS505XSS&catalogId=10051&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=3256864

I love the idea of using the smaller oven for our everyday single item cooking. Does it really save a lot of energy? Im confused as to why this stove isnt on the ENERGY STAR list.....

We are ordering all KA appliances: dishwasher; KitchenAid 23-7/8-Inch Built-In Dishwasher

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=334204-46-KUDC10IXSS&catalogId=10051&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=3272087

for the fridge:

KitchenAid 26.6 Cu. Ft. French Door Refrigerator

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=329304-46-KFIL27CXMS&catalogId=10051&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=3240927

Any opinions on any of the above most appreciated!

Comments (19)

• antss
    12 years ago

"Does it really save a lot of energy? "

Nope !

• dadoes
    12 years ago

Im confused as to why this stove isnt on the ENERGY STAR list.....Domestic/consumer ranges are not subject to Energy Star rating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Are there Energy Star qualified ovens, ranges, or microwave ovens?

• SSShayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Had no idea that ovens arent Energy Star.....

So hoping someone has something positive to say about double ovens/ and convection ovens. Have never owned either....

• llaatt22
    12 years ago

If you are not already familiar with the site, this link to consumeraffairs.com might be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Range problems

• SSShayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yea - Ive read thru those. Thanks!!

Just wondering about DOUBLE OVENS and CONVECTION OVENS in particular...

• weissman
    12 years ago

Convection ovens are great - they provide more even heat than regular ovens for baking. Gas convection ovens are particularly good for roasting meats and poultry - moist heat that keeps the meat juicy on the inside and brown on the outside.

People generally like having two ovens but it's not clear how much room you have in the two ovens on a 30" range.

KA makes great refrigerators and DWs but their ranges and ovens don't get great reviews. You don't have to get all KA appliances - many people mix and match.

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

FWIW... That range is about $500 cheaper on ajmadison.com with free shipping and no sales tax. Sometimes on KA products it will say it cannot deliver to your area, but I hear if you call them they can.

• jkayd_il5
    12 years ago

We looked at this very range this afternoon. Came home and read the reviews and decided to wait awhile. GE is coming out this fall with a new one that looks promising but I will probably wait for reviews on it too before spending that kind of money.

• SSShayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We bought it at Lowes - and the guy that was helping us said he sold the same three Kitchen Aid appliances (fridge/range/dishwasher) to SIX different people just this week. The people he has sold this to in the past had no complaints, and many have come back in to say they were happy. In my opinion, you have to take those online reviews with a grain of salt. If someone has a bad experience, they are going to write a review - but not often will people who are happy write a review at all. The few negative comments didnt sound like major flaws to me. I went and looked at it again today - and yes, the ovens are smallish, but for what I cook - its perfect. We will use the top one more often Im sure. You do have to really bend down to use the bottom oven - but not really an issue for me...... IM happy with my choice.

As far as convection - I know nothing about it and it will definitely be trial and error for me to figure that out. With the oven I have now - it cooks faster and hotter, so Ive learned to make those adjustments. Itll be a new cooking adventure with this new stove. ANd its beautiful to look at as well..... We got an amazing deal at Lowes - the guy took a lot of $ off, plus with the rebate itll put it right about at the online prices we saw. And Lowes inspects it before they deliver it - which is great!

• jkayd_il5
    12 years ago

You may be right about the reviews but they still hold some credibility with me. Please let us know how you like it. I'm also looking at Kitchenaid dishwashers so us know about it too. Thanks.

• SSShayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Will do! and will say there are plenty of positive feedback on the Kitchen Aid Double Oven range as well.........

• TominLA
    12 years ago

I would agree with 'weissman' that for DW and a fridge, KA is probably as good as you can get. In those areas, Whirlpool Corp. (under any of their brand names) seems to excel. The cooking appliances though, may be another question.

Jenn-Air (Whirlpool Corp.) is pushing so hard to move their ranges that they're giving away the DW. Tempting as that is, I'm not convinced that I want to take a chance on one. I can just see the electronics on the front failing or frying in another year or two.

As far as double oven ranges, a single guy I know purchased a Kenmore Elite (prob mfg. by LG) 30" double oven range and liked it a lot. Said he used the smaller top oven almost exclusively. I haven't found many other friends who have gone that route, though.

And, from my observation, a 30" range just doesn't have the necessary surface area to adequately handle 5 burners. A nice idea, but it seems you'll need to use rather small pots and pans to avoid them all bumping each other.

Good luck with your decision.

• SSShayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I doubt i would ever use the 5th burner........

• SSShayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So ive been searching reviews, consumer reports, various stores, epinions etc etc - and I have to say Ive read a lot more positive reviews than negative on this range.

• SSShayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Getting by nov 10th

• booger3914
    12 years ago

I bought my Wife this exact range for Christmas. She really likes the small, upper oven. The lower oven, with convection, cooked a perfect turkey for Christmas dinner. We also use the griddle burner quite a bit. We're very happy with our purchase.

• pkmolde
    12 years ago

Asking ANYONE who has this type of oven.....I am concerned about the bending and lifting from the bottom oven. I am sure the top one will be used the most, but for that gigantic turkey or pot of beef bourguignon --- is it too low, too hard to lift from that height? I have always wanted this kind of oven, but am concerned about usage issues as I get older and weaker!

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

pkmolde --
    if this is a new install or a replacement, your contractor/cabinetmaker can help you determine which is the best height of the ovens for your comfort. I'm only 5'1" and have different brand of double ovens, but we measured based on my height plus a little more (I am short,hubby tall) so that it would be positioned at an acceptable level without having to stoop too much! Good luck!

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

We're talking about a range, not a double wall oven.

Though I suppose you could raise a range up off the floor.