Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have one of the new Viking Dishwashers?

Posted by mkiv808 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 6, 10 at 14:16

They have rebuilt them from the ground up this year. I checked them out at a local appliance store and they seem super sturdy. The racks are beefy and the door feels more solid than other brands. The salesman at the appliance store - who I've known for years before he worked there - said that everyone that has bought one from them have been very happy.

Anyone own one personally?

Models:

VDB200
VDB325
VDB450

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have one of the new Viking Dishwashers?

I had one for a very short time. It's really really well designed. I loved the racks, especially the adjustments, and it seemed to wash well. The big flaw of this machine is the drying. The "heater" just gently puffs a little warm air. It's more than a standard Euro style machine with no drying at all (those use the mass of the steel tub and the things you're cleaning to retain heat, and maybe a fan, to create the drying force, and require rinse aid to break the surface tension of the water drops). If you're fine with the rinse aid, have lots of heavy dishes, pots and flatware, and not so much plastic and glass, and aren't put off by a little wet on your finished dishes, it's a superb machine.

I didn't use it long enough to test things like messy pots and the hard food disposer, but for the rest, I wish I still had it--but with a drying coil. I really loved that machine, but couldn't live with the wet dishes (really really wet since I refuse to use rinse aid). Viking sent a serviceman first, who replaced the whole heater assembly just in case there was a fault with a part that the sensors weren't registering. Then they took it back. I know other people have had difficulties with them, but their customer service was excellent. It was my store rep who dealt with them, so maybe that helped, but I was satisfied with everything but the part of having to hand dry everything.

BTW, I'm not talking about pooling, like you get in the divot at the bottom of a mug. I'm talking soaking wet. Drenched. Wetter than when I hand wash. Rinse aid and heavy crockery would probably have gone a long way to help that. The manual, which I read before buying, said that rinse aid was unnecessary with the hardness level of water we have here, which was a big plus for buying it in the first place. I can taste the soapy film left on the glasses from the rinse aid, and hate it too much to use it. I replaced it with a Monogram, which isn't nearly as fine a machine but does do a good job drying on the added heat, heated dry, plastics cycle.

o

I use rinse aid in my old dishwasher, it really does not matter to me.

The soaking wet part is concerning. Which model did you have? Are you sure it was one of the 2010 models?

Would love to hear other reports!

o
RE: Viking Dishwasher

The reason I ask if it's one of the new 2010 models is that all but the most expensive model use the European method of drying:

Condensate Quick Dry

* Moisture condenses on the cooler stainless steel tank and door and drains to sump area
* Quick and efficient drying

The top of the line VDB450 has a fan and heater:

AirFlo Gentle Drying - Exclusive

* Gentle, effective, and safe heated fan-driven system delivers warm, gentle air over, under and around dishes
* Fan, motor, low wattage heater and housing unit are located outside the tank
* Dual ducting in door safely vents at bottom of door

o

The old ones were rebranded from Asko and nearly identical except for the control panel. Who builds the new ones?

o

The salesman told me that they make their own now. I've seen both in person and the new ones are definitely more solid feeling.

o

The new ones are built by Viking, and, yes, I'm sure it was one of the new ones. It was Viking DFB450. It had all that as the copy you pasted in describes it.

I went into this well aware that even though people love their Mieles, it was not for me. Euro convection dry (which all the better American models will do too, as one option) does not work well enough for the kind of loads I run. I rarely have pots in the DW. My fancy kitchen flatware has acrylic rather than metal handles. I have a lot of little porcelain plates, and few pieces of heavy crockery, I have a lot of glasses and hardly ever a mug, and lots of plastics. There just isn't enough mass to retain enough heat to get the load completely dry. I suppose I could get some kind of big slug to retain heat, but, frankly, I didn't think of it until now. Add to that the fact that I hate rinse aid so much, and hate drying dishes just as much, and I knew I needed a heater.

Unfortunately, the puff dry heater just doesn't cut it. The tech admitted that it didn't really do much. It's probably a great assist to the convection dry, but doesn't take its place. People here have reported that Miele will soon be offering something similar. A lot of people here claim their dishes in Miele get completely dry. Others say they open their DWs so that their dishes can air dry. And others say their dishes get almost dry and they just use a towel as they put them away to get the bits that aren't quite. (And a few have no qualms putting damp dishes in the cupboard.)

Since you don't mind the rinse aid, you likely won't get the soaking wet. That's what rinse aid does. It's a soap that breaks the surface tension of the water so that instead of mounding in drops on the dishes, it slides off. If you have a mix of dishes that you put in the machine that's much more like the "average family" loads that they show in (all brands) DW advertisements, it might get plenty enough dry.

It really is a fantastic DW otherwise. Though, as I said above, I never got to the point of putting gross stuff in, so can't vouch for that part.

o

Interesting. ALL my flatware is metal, my dishes are typical, and most of my utensils are metal. I do pots/pans. Rarely I'll have some plastic tupperware in there, but that's about it.

I found a good deal on a new 450 that's hard to pass up. I'll see if it falls through or not. I'm hoping given my usual load + rinse aid, I'll be ok?

Would love to hear from anyone else that has this dishwasher.

Thanks all.

o

I think you'll be fine. It really is a lovely dishwasher.

o

I'm wondering, mkiv808, if you ended up getting one and if so, if you like it afterall??

o
RE: Anyone else have one of the new Viking Dishwashers?

In fact, I'm hoping others will chime in here, too, since a few more months have passed since this thread was started, so hopefully more folks have gotten/tried the new Viking dishwashers... I am considering one, too, as they are really appealing to me because they seem to be like the Miele's, plus a food grinder... (I know the debate over whether one really needs one of those, but I've tried DWs with and without, and I definitely prefer with!) I'm wondering about noise level, too...

o

I, too, would like to know about the noise level. Viking doesn't seem to publish decibel info (recognizing that the tests are not necessarily the same across manufacturers, but still...). And the site that does list levels hasn't been updated since last year, so Viking isn't there.

Here is a link that might be useful: QuietestDishwashers.com

o

Oh, I really want to love the Viking DWs, but it seems foolish to buy one before hearing real people actually review them, especially since until recently (before the Asko change) they got fairly negative reviews... Please chime in, someone who owns one!!

o

I have a Viking dishwasher- installed in early 2010. Can't understand the NON-drying that goes on in that thing! I find the rinse aid does not do too much on the plastics. It definitely does an outstanding job cleaning. I love the stainless interior for preventing odor. It is so quiet I often have to lean my ear down to see if it has begun! Just need my things dryer. My countertop is always full of things air-drying after they come out of the dishwasher.

o

I have had one for 10 months. The entire circuit board had to be replaced (3 weeks), the upper tray fold down rack fell off, the lower tray adjustable plate holders routinely fall off, the utensil rack bottom fell off, the sprayer under the top shelf gets stuck routinely and finally the led lights on the door controls are failing. I am throwing it in the trash and buying a Bosch.

in conclusion, I bought 5 Viking appliances and in 10 months all but one have had to be fixed one or more times. Definitely would no tbuy Viking appliances again.

o

Ida: Have you tried Jet Dry Turbo? For me it worked better than regular Jet Dry.

o

Please Please I beg you do not purchase a newer Viking Dishwasher with the puff drying. I wish I has my old Viking dishwasher back. It leaves dishes soaked after completion. I was not made aware of this when I purchased. Viking Repair men say this is how it works and nothing can be done about it. It is not meant to be used on plastic dishes. Guess what I have 3 children ages 6 and under and we have a lot of plastic.

The Viking Flatware Caddy is made out of plastics also and is soaked after the run cycle. It leaves my flatware (metal) wet and drips the water all over the floor when I take it out of the unit to put the silverware away. Please Please do not buy one!

I do use Maximum rinse aid which also does not help.
I so wish I could return my unit.

o

Please Please I beg you do not purchase a newer Viking Dishwasher with the puff drying. I wish I has my old Viking dishwasher back. It leaves dishes soaked after completion. I was not made aware of this when I purchased. Viking Repair men say this is how it works and nothing can be done about it. It is not meant to be used on plastic dishes. Guess what I have 3 children ages 6 and under and we have a lot of plastic.

The Viking Flatware Caddy is made out of plastics also and is soaked after the run cycle. It leaves my flatware (metal) wet and drips the water all over the floor when I take it out of the unit to put the silverware away. Please Please do not buy one!

I do use Maximum rinse aid which also does not help.
I so wish I could return my unit.

o
Will never buy a Viking dishwasher again

We have a Viking Professional Dishwasher and it has required 8 service calls in 18 months. Viking refuses to have it replaced - they just keep insisting that the service company order more parts and try to fix it over and over again. We haven't had a working dishwasher in a month, 4 guys have come out, and after the last time (4th new part) the dishwasher flooded our kitchen. Viking Customer Service is terrible, uncaring, non-responsive, slow. Once you bought the product, prepare to be on your own with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here