Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkiv808_gw

Anyone have one of the new Viking Dishwashers?

mkiv808
13 years ago

They have rebuilt them from the ground up this year. I checked them out at a local appliance store and they seem super sturdy. The racks are beefy and the door feels more solid than other brands. The salesman at the appliance store - who I've known for years before he worked there - said that everyone that has bought one from them have been very happy.

Anyone own one personally?

Models:

VDB200

VDB325

VDB450

Comments (24)

• mkiv808
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I use rinse aid in my old dishwasher, it really does not matter to me.

The soaking wet part is concerning. Which model did you have? Are you sure it was one of the 2010 models?

Would love to hear other reports!

• mkiv808
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The reason I ask if it's one of the new 2010 models is that all but the most expensive model use the European method of drying:

Condensate Quick Dry

* Moisture condenses on the cooler stainless steel tank and door and drains to sump area
    * Quick and efficient drying

The top of the line VDB450 has a fan and heater:

AirFlo Gentle Drying - Exclusive

* Gentle, effective, and safe heated fan-driven system delivers warm, gentle air over, under and around dishes
    * Fan, motor, low wattage heater and housing unit are located outside the tank
    * Dual ducting in door safely vents at bottom of door

• lee676
    13 years ago

The old ones were rebranded from Asko and nearly identical except for the control panel. Who builds the new ones?

• mkiv808
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The salesman told me that they make their own now. I've seen both in person and the new ones are definitely more solid feeling.

• plllog
    13 years ago

The new ones are built by Viking, and, yes, I'm sure it was one of the new ones. It was Viking DFB450. It had all that as the copy you pasted in describes it.

I went into this well aware that even though people love their Mieles, it was not for me. Euro convection dry (which all the better American models will do too, as one option) does not work well enough for the kind of loads I run. I rarely have pots in the DW. My fancy kitchen flatware has acrylic rather than metal handles. I have a lot of little porcelain plates, and few pieces of heavy crockery, I have a lot of glasses and hardly ever a mug, and lots of plastics. There just isn't enough mass to retain enough heat to get the load completely dry. I suppose I could get some kind of big slug to retain heat, but, frankly, I didn't think of it until now. Add to that the fact that I hate rinse aid so much, and hate drying dishes just as much, and I knew I needed a heater.

Unfortunately, the puff dry heater just doesn't cut it. The tech admitted that it didn't really do much. It's probably a great assist to the convection dry, but doesn't take its place. People here have reported that Miele will soon be offering something similar. A lot of people here claim their dishes in Miele get completely dry. Others say they open their DWs so that their dishes can air dry. And others say their dishes get almost dry and they just use a towel as they put them away to get the bits that aren't quite. (And a few have no qualms putting damp dishes in the cupboard.)

Since you don't mind the rinse aid, you likely won't get the soaking wet. That's what rinse aid does. It's a soap that breaks the surface tension of the water so that instead of mounding in drops on the dishes, it slides off. If you have a mix of dishes that you put in the machine that's much more like the "average family" loads that they show in (all brands) DW advertisements, it might get plenty enough dry.

It really is a fantastic DW otherwise. Though, as I said above, I never got to the point of putting gross stuff in, so can't vouch for that part.

• mkiv808
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Interesting. ALL my flatware is metal, my dishes are typical, and most of my utensils are metal. I do pots/pans. Rarely I'll have some plastic tupperware in there, but that's about it.

I found a good deal on a new 450 that's hard to pass up. I'll see if it falls through or not. I'm hoping given my usual load + rinse aid, I'll be ok?

Would love to hear from anyone else that has this dishwasher.

Thanks all.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I think you'll be fine. It really is a lovely dishwasher.

• carriage
    13 years ago

I'm wondering, mkiv808, if you ended up getting one and if so, if you like it afterall??

• carriage
    13 years ago

In fact, I'm hoping others will chime in here, too, since a few more months have passed since this thread was started, so hopefully more folks have gotten/tried the new Viking dishwashers... I am considering one, too, as they are really appealing to me because they seem to be like the Miele's, plus a food grinder... (I know the debate over whether one really needs one of those, but I've tried DWs with and without, and I definitely prefer with!) I'm wondering about noise level, too...

• kashmi
    13 years ago

I, too, would like to know about the noise level. Viking doesn't seem to publish decibel info (recognizing that the tests are not necessarily the same across manufacturers, but still...). And the site that does list levels hasn't been updated since last year, so Viking isn't there.

Here is a link that might be useful: QuietestDishwashers.com

• carriage
    13 years ago

Oh, I really want to love the Viking DWs, but it seems foolish to buy one before hearing real people actually review them, especially since until recently (before the Asko change) they got fairly negative reviews... Please chime in, someone who owns one!!

• lda76_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I have a Viking dishwasher- installed in early 2010. Can't understand the NON-drying that goes on in that thing! I find the rinse aid does not do too much on the plastics. It definitely does an outstanding job cleaning. I love the stainless interior for preventing odor. It is so quiet I often have to lean my ear down to see if it has begun! Just need my things dryer. My countertop is always full of things air-drying after they come out of the dishwasher.

• skshimer_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have had one for 10 months. The entire circuit board had to be replaced (3 weeks), the upper tray fold down rack fell off, the lower tray adjustable plate holders routinely fall off, the utensil rack bottom fell off, the sprayer under the top shelf gets stuck routinely and finally the led lights on the door controls are failing. I am throwing it in the trash and buying a Bosch.

in conclusion, I bought 5 Viking appliances and in 10 months all but one have had to be fixed one or more times. Definitely would no tbuy Viking appliances again.

• sparky823
    12 years ago

Ida: Have you tried Jet Dry Turbo? For me it worked better than regular Jet Dry.

• murphyjdm
    10 years ago

Please Please I beg you do not purchase a newer Viking Dishwasher with the puff drying. I wish I has my old Viking dishwasher back. It leaves dishes soaked after completion. I was not made aware of this when I purchased. Viking Repair men say this is how it works and nothing can be done about it. It is not meant to be used on plastic dishes. Guess what I have 3 children ages 6 and under and we have a lot of plastic.

The Viking Flatware Caddy is made out of plastics also and is soaked after the run cycle. It leaves my flatware (metal) wet and drips the water all over the floor when I take it out of the unit to put the silverware away. Please Please do not buy one!

I do use Maximum rinse aid which also does not help.
    I so wish I could return my unit.

• murphyjdm
    10 years ago

Please Please I beg you do not purchase a newer Viking Dishwasher with the puff drying. I wish I has my old Viking dishwasher back. It leaves dishes soaked after completion. I was not made aware of this when I purchased. Viking Repair men say this is how it works and nothing can be done about it. It is not meant to be used on plastic dishes. Guess what I have 3 children ages 6 and under and we have a lot of plastic.

The Viking Flatware Caddy is made out of plastics also and is soaked after the run cycle. It leaves my flatware (metal) wet and drips the water all over the floor when I take it out of the unit to put the silverware away. Please Please do not buy one!

I do use Maximum rinse aid which also does not help.
    I so wish I could return my unit.

• KON1120
    9 years ago

We have a Viking Professional Dishwasher and it has required 8 service calls in 18 months. Viking refuses to have it replaced - they just keep insisting that the service company order more parts and try to fix it over and over again. We haven't had a working dishwasher in a month, 4 guys have come out, and after the last time (4th new part) the dishwasher flooded our kitchen. Viking Customer Service is terrible, uncaring, non-responsive, slow. Once you bought the product, prepare to be on your own with it.

• wendyrylee
    9 years ago

I worked for Viking Cooking School in Memphis, Tn. We bought all new Viking appliances with my employee discount after I had been there a few months. I heard some bad reviews, but I thought we'd give them a try since I got a 50% discount. I'm pretty sure we've spent the difference in service calls and parts since they were installed in 2010. I have never dealt with a company that cares less about standing behind it's products. I know all products have problems, but not like Viking. We are constantly having to replace the dishwasher's switch for $75 a pop for the part, a cheap plastic piece breaks after so many pushes. The service call is another $70. The repairman finally showed me how to replace it myself to save the labor expense. My gas oven was not properly assembled and I had bursts of flames coming out the top as i was cooking. This was within the first week. I had to fight with the warranty department to cover it. They eventually did, but it took many phone calls and arguments. Also, my first dishwasher leaked. I would have put a towel down and continued using it while we were waiting to hear from the warranty department, but we have wood floors that would have been damaged. We were without a dishwasher for three months the second year we had it. After teaching cooking classes at Viking for four years, most of the appliances did not work properly or at all because a part wasn't available (a 2 year old oven). It's really bad. So bad.

• kenrichter30
    7 years ago

I have a new Viking dishwasher 2016 model with turbo Dry , the dishes are soaking wet, my wife is expecting me to fix the problem and she's treating me like trash. I told her before we bought it that it didn't have heated dry, but she blames me for everything. I guess she needs reason to bitch about something. They need to fix these dishwashers, totally unacceptable.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Ken,

Are you using a rinse aid?

• Miranda33
    7 years ago

Ken, If the DW is new, perhaps you can work out something with the store you bought it from, and exchange it for another brand.

Your post was pretty nasty about your wife, maybe leave that out in future posts. TMI

• Jakvis
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Drying will depend on the cycle and the options you select. If you use short wash/quickwash these cycles do not allow the water to heat up enough to make the dishes hot enough to dry. Use your auto cycles and the dishwasher should do OK.

In your Viking Use and care manual you will find this information in the trouble shooting are under DISHES NOT DRY.

Improper loading:
    Load the dishwasher as suggested in this manual.
    Insuffi cient rinse agent supply:
    Increase the dosage amount of rinse agent and/or refi ll the rinse agent dispenser.
    Dishes are removed too soon:
    Do not empty your dishwasher immediately after washing. Open the door slightly so that the
    steam can escape. Begin with unloading the dishwasher when the dishes are only hand warm.
    Empty the lower rack fi rst. This prevents water from dripping off dishes in the upper rack.
    Wrong program selection:
    In short period programs, the wash temperature and therefore the cleaning performance is
    lower. Choose a program with a longer washing time.
    Washing cutlery with worn surface:
    Evaporation of water is more diffi cult with these items.
    Cutlery or dishes of this type are not suited for dishwashers

• Jakvis
    7 years ago

You may also want to try using the Sanitize function which raises the final rinse temp to it's hottest level.

Here is what the Viking manual states:

Sanitize Function (F2)
    Sanitize function raises the water temperature in the final rinse to meet the requirements of NSF/ANSI STANDARD 184
    for Residential Dishwashers. Certified residential dishwashers are not intended for licensed food establishments.
    Available only with Regular Wash, Pots & Pans, and Pots & Pans Plus programs.
    Select desired program and press the Sanitize Function button (F2). The F2 button will light up on the display, close the
    door to start the program