Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
u084708

Opinions on Wolf Rangetops - Both 36 or 48"

u084708
9 years ago

My wife and I have started planning the kitchen of a home to be built in 2015 in NW Michigan. I'm thinking a rangetop and wall ovens might be a good combination for us and have been looking at the Wolf gas (LP) rangetop, in both 36 and 48" widths. I've never needed more than 4 burners, so a 6 burner set-up seems more than needed, but do I need a dedicated griddle (48") or just pull a griddle out of a drawer and lay it aross two burners (36"). The bigger rangetop requires a bigger hood, so that's a consideration as well. I don't do a lot of high temperature cooking, so high output burners aren't critical, so the Wolf looks good for my needs. All input appreciated!

Kent in Michigan

Comments (4)

• wekick
    9 years ago

Some people really like the built in griddle and others are happy to use an overlay. If you use it everyday or just like that it is stationary you might want built in. Some built in griddles might be thicker but I am not sure with Wolf. If it is thicker it will take longer to heat up and change temperatures but would be more stable and lose less heat when you add food.
    This was a thread earlier about overlays. I like the flexibility of an overlay and that you can change from aluminum to steel if you want to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Griddle for Wolf range.

• geekgirl512
    9 years ago

We just finished our kitchen reno and have the Wolf 48" with 4 gas burners and double griddle. We were originally going with the 5-burner gas cooktop but after attending a Wolf demo dinner, we decided to move up to the rangetop+griddle. In the two weeks we've been in the kitchen, we've used the griddle to make weekend breakfasts (french toast, hash browns), and burgers. It's been great, through it does take a while to cool down. We like that each half of the double griddle has its own thermostat so we can just turn on one side if we aren't cooking a huge meal.

We did a lot of research and reading reviews from people who had the griddle vs. the overlay and in the end, decided the griddle was our preference. I think you have to look at the types of things you cook when deciding if it's the right configuration for you.

Also, we put in the E-series single onvection oven and the combi-steam oven. I will write a separate post about the steam oven but I absolutely love it and have used that more than the rangetop so far.

• u084708
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Geekgirl512 - Many thanks for the informative post. I think you're correct that 4 burners would be adequate, so if we go with the 48" Wolf, the choice is 24" griddle or griddle + grill? I think the former, as I prefer to grill outside, even when it's cold in Michigan, as you keep the mess, smell, etc. outdoors.

Your information on the Wolf ovens is great - many thanks for adding that. I've been working with a 30" range plus small convection oven for so long that a 48" rangetop + two wall ovens should seem like heaven. I do a lot of baking, so I think I could utilize the space.

Thanks again.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

foxmoor, I have a 36" (Bluestar) with built in griddle and it gets daily use. In 40+ years of cooking, I've never needed more than 4 burners, I rarely even use more than two or three. If I had room for a 48" (which I would love) I would get a 24" griddle, since I also do grilling outside year round. If I couldn't grill year round, then I'd opt for 4 burners, a griddle, and a grill...