Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY installation of refrigerator?

Posted by GoofyYno (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 13:57

I have always bought refrigerators with a house where they put it in for me. I am thinking about buying a Liebherr 30" counter depth (actually, two) but they only have curb side drop off.
I'm a pretty big, fairly capably guy, is it a mistake to put these in myself?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY installation of refrigerator?

What's to "put in?" Unpack the unit, connect a water line if an ice maker is involved (ice maker install "kits" can be had at any Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.), plug in the power cord, set the unit into position, level if necessary. Done.

o

Don't move it alone. :) Those things are TALL!

Installing fridges is easy. It's the moving them into position without banging up the doorjamb or gouging the floor or dinging the fridge that's the tricky bit.

o

I have moved lots of large appliances, including refrigerators, by myself. I'm only 5'4" and not burly. It's easier with help, but doable by one person. This is a MUST -- Get a good appliance dolly and a couple of straps. You can rent these at your local box store or appliance store.

o

let's be careful... if the Liebherr is like the Gag 30", ( I believe they share the casing and hinges) this is a 500 lbs unit that took two movers and a stair walker dolly to move. I could not have moved it myself and I worked at moving appliances as a summer job decades ago so I know the techniques.
Installing the integrated units is a different question and that, if you are careful, can be done yourself. It does take some effort to move back into the cavity and it helps to have two people to guide it into place without damaging the side wall edges.
caspian

o

Some day, some day in the near [maybe] bright future someone will suggest shopping at a place other than Lowes or HD. Someday....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here