Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goofyyno

DIY installation of refrigerator?

goofyyno
11 years ago

I have always bought refrigerators with a house where they put it in for me. I am thinking about buying a Liebherr 30" counter depth (actually, two) but they only have curb side drop off.

I'm a pretty big, fairly capably guy, is it a mistake to put these in myself?

Comments (5)

• dadoes
    11 years ago

What's to "put in?" Unpack the unit, connect a water line if an ice maker is involved (ice maker install "kits" can be had at any Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.), plug in the power cord, set the unit into position, level if necessary. Done.

• Fori
    11 years ago

Don't move it alone. :) Those things are TALL!

Installing fridges is easy. It's the moving them into position without banging up the doorjamb or gouging the floor or dinging the fridge that's the tricky bit.

• User
    11 years ago

I have moved lots of large appliances, including refrigerators, by myself. I'm only 5'4" and not burly. It's easier with help, but doable by one person. This is a MUST -- Get a good appliance dolly and a couple of straps. You can rent these at your local box store or appliance store.

• PRO
    Tom Carter
    11 years ago

let's be careful... if the Liebherr is like the Gag 30", ( I believe they share the casing and hinges) this is a 500 lbs unit that took two movers and a stair walker dolly to move. I could not have moved it myself and I worked at moving appliances as a summer job decades ago so I know the techniques.
    Installing the integrated units is a different question and that, if you are careful, can be done yourself. It does take some effort to move back into the cavity and it helps to have two people to guide it into place without damaging the side wall edges.
    caspian

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

Some day, some day in the near [maybe] bright future someone will suggest shopping at a place other than Lowes or HD. Someday....